Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was hoping that this would be the fix to eliminate the rattle sound under the driver side dash of the 2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5T but it wasn't. I removed the cap from both of the front struts but the rattle is still there. I already eliminating the squeaky sound from the HUD and this rattle is the last thing that prevents from completely loving my car. I really want to avoid pulling my whole dash part but I am hoping for other solutions.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't have a rattle, but this thread was so intriguing to me that I went out and pulled one of the rubber caps off, just to see how snug it fit. In my "rattle-free" car, those rubber caps are a very snug fit. I am imagining that in cars that have
the rattle, the rubber caps are just a bit loose-fitting when in place? Maybe the vendor for the little rubber caps wasn't making them the right shape/size, or had too much variation....

There doesn't seem to be any downside to leaving the rubber caps off, but it might be that if you bought new ones, they might fit better. (Just speculating...)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't have a rattle, but this thread was so intriguing to me that I went out and pulled one of the rubber caps off, just to see how snug it fit. In my "rattle-free" car, those rubber caps are a very snug fit. I am imagining that in cars that have
the rattle, the rubber caps are just a bit loose-fitting when in place? Maybe the vendor for the little rubber caps wasn't making them the right shape/size, or had too much variation....

There doesn't seem to be any downside to leaving the rubber caps off, but it might be that if you bought new ones, they might fit better. (Just speculating...)
I don't know about others, but the rubber caps on my car were very snug, as well, and had to be pried off. As I said before, it's bizarre that removing those rubber caps could eliminate a rattle inside the car but I'm not going to argue with success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A huge shout out to Troy. Purchased 2018 2.0 touring mid-November. First cold day, the rattle appeared. Dealer couldn't duplicate but did fix a vibration rattle in rear headliner area. Dealer seemed to believe it would fix both rattles. I am going to try and upload the audio of the rattle, which of course appeared almost immediately on my drive to work the next morning. That night, 2 days ago, read the fix here and removed the covers. Figured no way it would work. Not a rattle since. Just got back from a drive this am in 17 degree weather, nada. Time to enjoy my car. Appears I am unable to upload the audio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just witness one of the Techs at my job tear down the interior of a 18 Accord sport to then not find anything wrong with the dash noise. Noise was still there after removing the dash. They even called Tech Line and they didn’t know anything about it. I was curious just because I own one of these cars and don’t want my dash ripped apart. That evening I went on the forum and found this post which I couldn’t myself believe where this rattle could be coming from. Next morning first thing I grab the Tech and showed him what I read on the forum. Again he couldn’t believe it and at that point he was willing to try anything. Minutes later he approached me and told me that fixed the problem! He bought me a case of beer and thank me about 20 times :grin.

Just want to thank Troy Ondrey for a great find!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
A huge shout out to Troy. Purchased 2018 2.0 touring mid-November. First cold day, the rattle appeared. Dealer couldn't duplicate but did fix a vibration rattle in rear headliner area. Dealer seemed to believe it would fix both rattles. I am going to try and upload the audio of the rattle, which of course appeared almost immediately on my drive to work the next morning. That night, 2 days ago, read the fix here and removed the covers. Figured no way it would work. Not a rattle since. Just got back from a drive this am in 17 degree weather, nada. Time to enjoy my car. Appears I am unable to upload the audio.
Could you describe your noise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was described previously as a muffled paint spray can being shaken. Pretty accurate, although mine not so muffled. Threw the caps back on for a short drive over weekend, with in a minute rattle back, removed again and not a rattle last 3 days. Drove to work in 16 degree weather this am, nothing. Just remove if in doubt, will disappear immediately. If doesn’t not the fix for your rattle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If this is indeed some sort of acoustic noice, in theory you should be able to just put something small in the rubber, a small ball of tinfoil or piece of plastic, cover that would change the way sound waves interacted and thereby eliminate the problem.

It still baffles me how something so far removed from the interior with zero moving parts could be causing these rattles, but obviously it does.
Ok, so I drove around for a few days without the strut covers and no rattle. The weather even heated up into the 50's and then back down into the 30's. Still no rattle.

Yesterday, I cut 2 pieces, one for each strut, of heavy duty aluminum foil 4 x 4 inches. Folded it into quarters 2 times so that it was about 1 inch square. Molded that over and around the strut and put the rubber caps back on.

2 days now and no rattles so far.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Okay, I am a little sheepish about this one....

I had also been super annoyed by a dash rattle (2010 LX). It sounded like it was coming from the top right (passenger side) dash area. I even had a passenger stick his head all around to try to localize where it was coming from. I saw Troy Ondrey's post about the strut nut covers and took a look at them. The rubber strut top covers on my car appeared to be very firmly in place and they did not seem to wiggle at all when I pushed them every which way. In addition, since they are rubber I just couldn't picture them making such a rattling noise.

So, I removed the front cowling beneath the windshield, found a loose-looking piece of plastic in there, taped it down and went for a test drive -- the rattle remained. Then I removed the glove box, cabin air filter, underside of dash cover and fished around with a mirror but didn't find anything loose. Then I notice a loose-looking piece of plastic in the door frame. I taped it down -- rattle was still there. Then I notice that if I tapped the washer hose against the hood top it made a rattle-like sound, so I taped it down -- rattle was still there.

Finally, just to prove to myself that the rattle wasn't caused by the strut covers, I removed them (they pried out with some effort) and went for a drive. There was NO rattle at all, driving on the same exact route where it rattled like crazy in each above effort. I put the strut covers back in, went on the same test drive and it rattled like crazy again! So, as hard as it is to believe given the rubber composition and how well they seemed to fit, the rubber strut covers were 100% definitively the source of my rattle as well. I would have bet anyone $100 that they weren't the cause... I did notice that when I put the covers back on, and rotated them around just-so and played with them up and down a bit, I could find a spot where they had just a slight bit of up and down play which I presume must be the cause of the rattle.

I tried spraying them with silicone and reinserting them and the rattle was still there.

I am sure it is fine to just ditch the covers, but I figured I would try to leave them in place and eliminate the rattle by placing 4 pieces of thick double sided trim tape in the hole:

And then inserting the covers:

This has done the trick and I haven't heard the rattle once after several days and hundreds of miles now. Thanks again to Troy Ondrey for his original post -- that rattle was driving me crazy and I don't think I ever would have thought the strut covers could have been the cause.

I was curious (as others mentioned) if these rubber bumpers could also serve as a hood support (and if that might have played into the rattle -- perhaps they get vibrated by the hood). So I stuck a video camera and light under the hood and closed the hood. As shown in the following image from that video, the rubber strut covers don't come close to touching the hood when it is closed -- so I guess that theory is out....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had an appointment yesterday to get my first A1 service done as well as the backup camera recall and to try to diagnose the dash rattle I have been dealing with for the last couple weeks. I noticed it started as the weather got colder and when we had a day in the 70’s the noise disappeared. I pulled up to the service door and asked one of the mechanics to take a ride with me so I could show them the annoying rattle. He asked me to open the hood and popped off the rubber strut bolt covers and told me to take it around the block and the noise disappeared. I just wanted to share my experience with you all if you are dealing with an annoying dash rattle in the cold. He told me it’s the fifth one he’s done this month and that it is an aucoustic noise that is only produced when the body of the car is cold. He said Honda has no answer as to why or a fix action yet and that those caps are only cosmetic so don’t worry about putting them back on until the weather gets warmer. Hope this can help someone so they don’t take their dash apart unnecessarily.

Thank you Troy!!!! I was just about to rip my dash apart. 5 minute fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly, didn't fix mine.

I tried removing the covers and my rattle(s) are still there. One from what sounds like above the dash on the left and a slightly different and quieter rattle that seems to come from the front right. My rattles only appear when temperatures drop to around -3C (in Canada). Thanks for the tip as it sounds like it is helping quite a few people.

I don't have the HUD (1.5 Turbo Sport), so that is out, but I'm going to focus next on the left and right console panels towards the feet of the driver and passenger as I have heard some say they have had that rattle.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts