Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
I'm so thankful I found this post. I've pulled the covers off and so far, I've yet to hear the annoying dash noise. Question: What is "trim tape" and where do you get it?

Thanks!

3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952, 0.5" width x 5yd length (1 Roll)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, unfortunately, I spoke too soon. My dash "rattle" is back, and the rubber covers are still off.

Mine isn't really a "rattle" however. It's more of a hollow, knocking type sound, most notable when accelerating away from a stop. Sounds like it is coming from the center dash area (center speaker behind the screen, center vents, phone/outlet area)… Comes and goes, can go several days and not hear it, and then it will return, as it did today.

I, and others, have described the issue here:
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/538219-noise-when-going-stop.html

Okay, I am a little sheepish about this one....

I had also been super annoyed by a dash rattle (2010 LX). It sounded like it was coming from the top right (passenger side) dash area. I even had a passenger stick his head all around to try to localize where it was coming from. I saw Troy Ondrey's post about the strut nut covers and took a look at them. The rubber strut top covers on my car appeared to be very firmly in place and they did not seem to wiggle at all when I pushed them every which way. In addition, since they are rubber I just couldn't picture them making such a rattling noise

Your post says "2010 LX". Is that correct?

·
Registered
450 Posts
After reading this I popped mine off and threw them in the parts bin. My other cars don’t have the caps, and mine popped off by hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Huge thanks to the OP. This was driving me nuts with my new EXL 2.0t. Cold days <40F or so and the rattling was unbearable. I spent hours looking for what could be the source and never would have guessed these rubber caps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The post by Troy is outstanding news. I may end up trying that.
My story is with a rattle appeared to be coming from behind the speedometer area of the dash. I drive an LX so I don’t have the HUD. I noticed a few days back my master cylinder was ridiculously loose as I could move it around easily with my hand. I decided I would show it to my dealer at first oil change but the rattle has not returned since I moved it around - I’m basically afraid to touch anything now to see if the rattle stays away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!, I was ready to tear the dash apart from what to me sounded like a electrical relay clicking all the time, I have looked under the dash and reached around trying to find something loose. Took mine off two days ago and clicking, rattle free. I think I will try to sand the grommet down a little to get more clearance from the hood. I think it is pushing air into the hole in the hood which is causing the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW. Lol. I can't believe I come on here to look for this and I see the post right away.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to get this fixed. It was driving me crazy on the highway even after hearing it only once.

·
Triangle wins
2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T 6-speed manual
61 Posts
Yesterday, I cut 2 pieces, one for each strut, of heavy duty aluminum foil 4 x 4 inches. Folded it into quarters 2 times so that it was about 1 inch square. Molded that over and around the strut and put the rubber caps back on.

2 days now and no rattles so far.
I’m no metallurgist, but aluminum touching steel can aggressively corrode the steel without electrical insulation separating them, so maybe use a different packing material. (Google “galvanic corrosion “)

I can also confirm that the strut covers are the culprit, at least in my case. I repeatedly removed-installed-removed them riding around the block each time, and the rattle appeared/disappeared accordingly.

The covers snap on/off snugly, but when very cold will shrink just enough to allow a rattle when you tap them with your finger. In my case only one cap rattles while the other remains perfectly tight.

OP: Best fix thead ever

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was dreading bringing my car to the Honda dealership who would almost certainly profess to not hearing this noise and returning my car after 8 hours at the service department. Incredibly, I read this post and removed the rubber strut Tower caps and the fix worked(!!!) although I cannot imagine how or why this would stop the loud spray-paint-can rattling noise I have been hearing almost constantly. How can two small rubber caps create such a loud noise in the cabin? It can't be the caps themselves. Maybe they create some kind of internal air pressure in the strut tower when the suspension compresses and that pressure induces noise from some other part leaning against the firewall? Regardless the Caps are off and the noise is gone but it's really hard to believe. I suppose I'll have to create some kind of covers so that dirt doesn't get into the strut Tower assembly but for now I'm going totally capless. Maybe I'll drill small air pressure relief holes in the caps and see if that works. Remind me again why I should have to deal with this on a $30,000 car? Great car, otherwise!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was dreading bringing my car to the Honda dealership who would almost certainly profess to not hearing this noise and returning my car after 8 hours at the service department. Incredibly, I read this post and removed the rubber strut Tower caps and the fix worked(!!!) although I cannot imagine how or why this would stop the loud spray-paint-can rattling noise I have been hearing almost constantly. How can two small rubber caps create such a loud noise in the cabin? It can't be the caps themselves. Maybe they create some kind of internal air pressure in the strut tower when the suspension compresses and that pressure induces noise from some other part leaning against the firewall? Regardless the Caps are off and the noise is gone but it's really hard to believe. I suppose I'll have to create some kind of covers so that dirt doesn't get into the strut Tower assembly but for now I'm going totally capless. Maybe I'll drill small air pressure relief holes in the caps and see if that works. Remind me again why I should have to deal with this on a $30,000 car? Great car, otherwise!
Another poster put 4 pieces of tape on each strut and replaced the cap. He posted pics as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So my theory is that the rubber caps create air pressure fluctuations in the strut tower when the suspension compresses, which causes some part to slap against the firewall. Removing the caps equalizes the pressure and the mystery part doesn't slap anymore. But the caps probably keep dirt out of the towers so I don't want to just toss them. I ended up drilling holes in the top of each one and stuffed foam plugs inside the caps and put them back on. The foam lets air thru but keeps the dirt out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same scenario but my 2.0t from day one had a very light annoying clunking sound over light bumps at all times on driver side front. Took it to the dealer 3 times and finally they found out the the strut bolt under the cap needed to be re-torqued. Problem went away. The technician kept saying it was the dash and I kept telling them no its not.

·
Triangle wins
2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T 6-speed manual
61 Posts
Update: Tried stuffing foam material under cap, but this just muffled the rattle a bit.
Then I put a little household caulk at the joint and that’s still working after 3 weeks of very cold weather.
I figure this complex cap must be there for a reason; maybe to keep water from pooling in the depression and causing rust?

Update to the update: After 11 months through hot and cold weather, the teeny bit o' caulk is still keeping the rattle at bay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried removing caps. Rattle still there.

Just got a 2019 Accord 2.0L Sport. Heard rattle. Started searching. Here I am.

Like it says I removed the strut caps. Rattle still there. Do I just need to remove the driver side? This is some weird science behind this.

Mine sounds exactly like this.

Thanks,
And Hi everyone!

EDIT...

Not sure if my rattle is still there but I decided to not try to focus on it. Don't think it is as loud and as often as the video I linked. And... Besides.. This car is AMAZING!
Put the strut covers back on. Honda really put something together nice here.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts