Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Triangle wins
2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T 6-speed manual
61 Posts
On May 27, 2020, Honda acknowledged this issue in TSB 20-036 "Rattling from the Front of the Vehicle".
Unless they changed the design or manufacturing tolerances of the cap, then the new ones may just do the same thing when it gets cold enough. (The fit is random - only my passenger side cap rattles.)

·
Registered
2018 1.5T Accord Touring
35 Posts
Just watned to say thank you for this thread. I recently purchased a 2018 Touring and couldn't believe it when this incessant rattle emerged. The relief with finding such a simple solution was incredible.

I'll ask for new caps the next time I go to the dealer, but for the time being I'll just leave them off. Do we know if leaving the caps off will hurt the strut assembly in any way? I've seen a couple people suspect they're there to keep dirt out and that seem reasonable.

·
Elvira
3,641 Posts
Just watned to say thank you for this thread. I recently purchased a 2018 Touring and couldn't believe it when this incessant rattle emerged. The relief with finding such a simple solution was incredible.

I'll ask for new caps the next time I go to the dealer, but for the time being I'll just leave them off. Do we know if leaving the caps off will hurt the strut assembly in any way? I've seen a couple people suspect they're there to keep dirt out and that seem reasonable.
Very simple fix would be to leave the caps on and try a little hot glue to increase the diameter of the cap or reduce the diameter of the strut tower opening. Maybe even a thick tape might help. Wouldn't use anything that might absorb and retain moisture though.

Leaving them off is probably OK if you check the area for standing water in the tower around the strut stud/nut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just witness one of the Techs at my job tear down the interior of a 18 Accord sport to then not find anything wrong with the dash noise. Noise was still there after removing the dash. They even called Tech Line and they didn’t know anything about it. I was curious just because I own one of these cars and don’t want my dash ripped apart. That evening I went on the forum and found this post which I couldn’t myself believe where this rattle could be coming from. Next morning first thing I grab the Tech and showed him what I read on the forum. Again he couldn’t believe it and at that point he was willing to try anything. Minutes later he approached me and told me that fixed the problem! He bought me a case of beer and thank me about 20 times :grin.

Just want to thank Troy Ondrey for a great find!!
It worked for my accord too. I couldn’t believe this rattle (which was accurately described as a paint can shaking) was coming from a piece of plastic over my strut bolt. I searched high and low for that noise and almost paid the dealer to take my dash apart. So happy I came across this thread and tried this. No more rattle!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Troy Ondrey - you da man!

I just found this thread, popped off my caps, took a test drive and the mysterious cold weather dashboard rattle is now gone. It was annoying and made the car sound cheap. Now it was only 42 F outside so I'll see how it does in colder temps. I'm really amazed that those caps make a noise that sounds exactly like a dashboard rattle. I'll also see if my dealer will give me the new redesigned caps mentioned in Service Bulletin 20-036.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Update - I stopped by the dealer yesterday and they ordered the new/revised caps for me after seeing the TSB, which surprised them. It was the first they had heard of this.

·
Elvira
3,641 Posts
Update - I stopped by the dealer yesterday and they ordered the new/revised caps for me after seeing the TSB, which surprised them. It was the first they had heard of this.
Totally believable in that the guys in the field or on the floor may NEVER get the straight poop from higher up. Maybe the field guys should research too but if the info doesn't get passed down the line how much time should they spend determining a change? Look at the number of TSB's we know of and post here !!!

They end up looking stupid and hence our perception of them is as low as it can go.

This is why these sites, DA, are an invaluable font of knowledge for disseminating what's what on our rides.

Sometime, just sometimes, I give them a pass knowing this is a possibility for their lack of knowledge. Doesn't mean they shouldn't check it out when I bring it up during the write-up, but they SHOULD know their job. I need to for my job !

Maybe they should phone a friend like us here.

|rant off|

Reactions: TexasDavid

·
Registered
315 Posts
Could someone describe the rattle sound and describe where the noise seems to come from, please. I'm hearing a (new) sound that, to me, comes from the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror and the good 'ol sun glasses 'thing'. I've gone a couple of years with no rattles and now this.

I took those rubber things off when I got the car new three years ago because of a rattle from the vents, but with no result. I think whatever was rattling wore down and no longer was touching anything to make a rattling sound. In other words, that rattle went away and I put the strut 'rubbers' back on.

Tomorrow morning I'll pop those rubber things off and hope it solves my rattle. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice that there's a TSB for this

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

61 - 71 of 71 Posts