Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums and had a question about a concern I have with my car. I drive a 1998 Honda Accord LX sedan. A few months ago my car died and I had to replace my battery and alternator which was a pain. However, I have noticed that my lights flicker randomly on my dashboard. It's mainly the door lights that flicker at random times. I was wondering if there was a quick fix to this without paying a mechanic to take a look at it for a ridiculous amount of money.

Thanks,
Huck

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Are you saying all the dashboard lights and the door courtesy lights flicker or something different is happening?
A small amount of flickering is normal when you hit the brakes or turn on some other electrical load, but if they go off and back on then you may have a loose connection somewhere. Might want to recheck the wires on the new alternator and battery.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a family member's non-honda with sporadic dimming/fluttering of headlights/interior lights/cluster lights. I checked all grounds and both positive and negative connections but to no avail. No codes were thrown until two weeks later, which said engine misfiring in two cylinders. I Inspected their spark plugs and sure enough they were cooked and probably 30,000 miles overdue. They would have probable broken if tapped lightly with a screwdriver. After the new plugs all was well again. I think the worn plugs were occasionally drawing more load and making things flicker.

Was your new alternator OEM? I'm also going to assume you're getting the correct voltage with engine on (14.4V), though that should not make any difference.

Check the door switches that controls the lights, although it shouldn't have any relationship with the cluster lights.

Last resort find out if the cluster and interior lights are controlled by the driver's or passenger side multiplex unit. And then test the operation/flickering of the other components controlled by that particular multiplex unit. If problems with other components it may suggest that particular multiplex unit is beginning to go bad. From memory I think the two components are controlled by the driver's multiplex. So, for example if the driver's multiplex also controls the seat controls, try the seats when the car is fluttering the lights. Sorry, I didn't have time to research the multiplex units and what controls what.

Keep working on the problem and don't take it in just yet--it doesn't seem to be a performance issue so it can wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you saying all the dashboard lights and the door courtesy lights flicker or something different is happening?
A small amount of flickering is normal when you hit the brakes or turn on some other electrical load, but if they go off and back on then you may have a loose connection somewhere. Might want to recheck the wires on the new alternator and battery.
No, its the door courtesy along with the battery. Im going to check on the battery connection first to see if that helps and if it doesn't ill get back to y'all

Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok, Im still a little confused, the battery light would normally be off when the engine is running, so are you saying it flickers ON at random times? Does this happen when the engine is idling or while driving?
The battery light coming ON normally means the alternator is not producing enough current to meet the cars needs. You may want to get the new alternator tested, but be aware some parts store testing does not do a complete job. They just see if its producing any voltage.
The door courtesy lights flickering may be related or a separate problem. The driver side and passenger side courtesy lights are controlled by two different multiplexers. Are both sides flickering?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify what is happening. While driving, the door lights along with the brake and battery lights will flash randomly for 2 to 3 seconds and go back off. I replaced the alternator and battery Fall of 2013. There are no issues with driving just the lights flashing randomly. Please Help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts