Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DA.net!

I don't start new threads often, but I'm really considering getting some HID's. I want to get the DDM Tuning Kit for $40 in the 4500k 35w flavor. I know that there a million threads started about HID's but this one is a tad different.

For those of you with the DDM Tuning kits, how has the reliability been? I've read in a few threads that you have to flick the on switch a few times to get them to light up. Is this a common problem?

What about the longevity (time and color wise) of the bulbs? How are they holding up after 3mo., 6mo., 1yr.+ ?

How difficult was the installation and does one still need to reverse some harness or what not because of the weird assembly of the kit?

I'm fairly certain I don't need a relay harness for 35W bulbs, but is there still a chance I can melt my wiring?

In the end, is this HID Kit worth the money or is buying a Retrosolutions/XenonDepot kit a better way to spend money?

This is a little unfounded, but i have a feeling that all of their Slim 35w kits are made in the same factory somewhere in China.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
YRM

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive had my ddmtuning digital kit for about a month now since my retrofit and its still going strong. I do have that bulb problem but I dont really mind turning it on twice to fire up the bulbs. In terms of longevity, I dont expect the bulbs they give you to last that long as aftermarket bulbs will never have the same life as the oem ones. In terms of color since you are planning to buy 4500k, the aftermarket ones should be more white then the oem ones. After a month so far the color on mine is still very crystal white. Installation was very easy, there should a diy somewhere on the forum for it. Take apart the bumper, mount ballast, ziptie the wires down if you wish, basic pnp. I have read that a relay harness isnt needed for 35W bulbs (more for 55W) but I just got one anyway to be safe to not mess around with my wires. For me this hid kit was worth the $60 as they perform pretty well for the price. Though Im sure that xenondepot or retrosolutions kits are also good quality and you get the awesome customer service and help if you need any from either of them. Plus its always nice to support a forum sponsor. Contacting ddmtuning is a pita from what I have heard. Hope that helps

·
1 UP
1,467 Posts
i have had ddm in my housing for over a year, it was plug and play. after about 2 or 3 months of use it began to flicker. i installed a relay harness about 6 months after, but it still flickers, guess the damage has been done. but i also had the 55w version. the harness did not just plug and play, the fitment was an issue so i cut wires and spliced them together. ddm really ****s with there coloring. i've bought their 6000k, seen the 10000k and 12000k, and they almost all look the same.

for the price, you cant really complain, but im starting to get sick of them.

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
Had mine for about 6 months as well. Beside the passenger side not fully coming on, but usually solved by just turning off and on the headlights, it's been great. I've installed 4 kits and all of them love them. I would just go with the 35watt and a relay kit. I don't have a relay kit ATM bit will soon....

·
need 6 speed!
3,489 Posts
a few days and ill be running them for 2 years now. maybe 4 or 5 times during ownership did they not turn on right away and i have to flick it off and back on.

·
. . .
105 Posts
their 3k's look like 4ks, 8k and 10k looks like 6k.
you get what you pay for.

·
1 UP
1,467 Posts
their 3k's look like 4ks, 8k and 10k looks like 6k.
you get what you pay for.
true.

their 3000k does look yellow, but its not quite there. if you get the film overlay it'll be golden yellow

my friends and i have installed about 10 kits within the last 4 months...

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate this. Ordered the kit yesterday. A few hours later got an e-mail that the order is fulfilled (shipped?). Looking forward to the installation.

Do they supply brackets? If not, how do you mount them? I plan on using self tapping screws.

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
Thank you everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate this. Ordered the kit yesterday. A few hours later got an e-mail that the order is fulfilled (shipped?). Looking forward to the installation.

Do they supply brackets? If not, how do you mount them? I plan on using self tapping screws.
They don't come with brackets. They come with double sided tape, but they hold on good. I put the ballast on the flat surface behind the bumper. You'll see it when you remove the bumper. Some will say you won't need to remove the bumper, but its soo much easier.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am definitely not removing the bumper. Also, I just ordered a relay kit from Retrosolutions and here's why:

After doing some more reading, I think that the reason why the kits don't always light up after the first flick of the switch is because the wiring doesn't have enough Amps going through it to properly supply the HIDs. I think with the relay harness, the kit will get enough Amps the 1st time around and will 100% prevent my stock wiring from melting/degrading down the road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the install is alot easier if you take really off the bumper. Gonna be hard to find a spot to mount the ballast and put the whole harness in if you dont. Bumper removal is easy too.

·
1 UP
1,467 Posts
I am definitely not removing the bumper. Also, I just ordered a relay kit from Retrosolutions and here's why:

After doing some more reading, I think that the reason why the kits don't always light up after the first flick of the switch is because the wiring doesn't have enough Amps going through it to properly supply the HIDs. I think with the relay harness, the kit will get enough Amps the 1st time around and will 100% prevent my stock wiring from melting/degrading down the road.
i didnt remove my bumper, i dont think its much harder. but if you have big hands, good luck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts