Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about an interesting thing that happened today... I was an hour in on a 3.5 hour drive at an 80-85 mph pace. I was not using cruise control. When I went to make a pass I noticed that the pedal was dead and did not increase throttle. Instead, the engine stayed around 2500 RPM and speed did not increase. I rocked the pedal between full and zero a few times and nothing changed - it felt as if I was in cruise control with speed staying around 65 mph (because I had braked a couple times to try to disengage a phantom cruise control if that's what it was). This frozen state persisted about 5 minutes at 65mph until suddenly control came back and the pedal functioned as normal. Nothing else happened the two hours of the rest of the trip but it was a very strange situation that could have been unsafe in other conditions.

Anyone ever heard of or experienced anything like this? I do have a sprint booster attached to the throttle but I turned it off immediately. Outside temps were 22 degrees,32 degree intake, 168 engine.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'd normally think but I just turned 25k and I've been on top of maintenance and cleaned my takeda a couple months ago... I could take it off and research when weather permits but I suspect it will be fine. It almost felt like a software issue but I don't know...

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
Dirty/stuck throttle body butterfly valve?
80-85 for 1 hours straight? just asking, not judging.
At 22 degrees is it possible the open flow of your intake, air temp, volume of air and since you were steady state with the throttle you had a very small opening in the butterfly that you might have created a small amount of frost or even ice?

Slowing to 65 may have allowed it to thaw and therefore regain "unstuck" valve condition?

Old carbs did this requiring heat risers. Maybe the same happening here.

:dunno:

Miker

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speed limit was 70, I usually go 78 but the flow of traffic was faster today as everyone was trying to outrun a snow storm (that later overtook us). 80 most of the way, 85 sometimes and to pass.

I agree that it could have well been the scenario you describe. It was a boring trip and not much speed variation. It was a strange experience.

·
Registered
206 Posts
From my experience the simplest answer is usually the right answer, the SprintBooster is the culprit. The SprintBooster is specifically designed to interface between the pedal and the computer controlling the throttle opening and you have changed that from the stock configuration. I did see several other car brands have issues with the SB and one had the same exact problem you describe. Doesn't that seem more logical than some phantom freezing of the throttle in a hot engine? If freezing was the case wouldn't we have heard of this issue before, not only on the Accord, but many other cars during winter operation? Good thing you were able to not panic and cause a bigger problem and ruin that beautiful black beast.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Same problem, it happened to me twice during the summer/
i took off my ithrottle and sold it.
happens to a lot of people with these stupid chinese made controllers

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same exact symptoms? The SB has a $300 pricetag and is German made. It's performed awesome until now, if that's the culprit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Same exact symptoms? The SB has a $300 pricetag and is German made. It's performed awesome until now, if that's the culprit.
From their website: SPRINT BOOSTER is manufactured in Greece and it’s been exported to more than 30 countries around the world for the last five years. Well, maybe this explains Greece's recent economic problems, shoddy workmanship because they are in a hurry to take the summer off.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
From my experience the simplest answer is usually the right answer, the SprintBooster is the culprit. The SprintBooster is specifically designed to interface between the pedal and the computer controlling the throttle opening and you have changed that from the stock configuration. I did see several other car brands have issues with the SB and one had the same exact problem you describe. Doesn't that seem more logical than some phantom freezing of the throttle in a hot engine? If freezing was the case wouldn't we have heard of this issue before, not only on the Accord, but many other cars during winter operation? Good thing you were able to not panic and cause a bigger problem and ruin that beautiful black beast.
Good question and here's the info that it CAN happen. http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2008-01-0439.pdf
It is possible as well as an add on electronic product affecting the throttle.
A simple google search for tb icing will show it mostly happens if an after market cai is installed. BTW the icing is produced by the Venturi effect when fast moving air is compressed it doesn't produce a block of ice on a hot engine.
Miker

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good question and here's the info that it CAN happen. http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2008-01-0439.pdf
It is possible as well as an add on electronic product affecting the throttle.
A simple google search for tb icing will show it mostly happens if an after market cai is installed. BTW the icing is produced by the Venturi effect when fast moving air is compressed it doesn't produce a block of ice on a hot engine.
Miker
Interesting abstract although they don't identify which brands are experiencing the problem, they say "some". I am not the world's foremost authority on cars but if this is Doom's problem its the first time I've ever heard of it and the abstract is from 2008; with hopes of improved designs since then. But for Doom, I'd put my money of the SB.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
It was meant as a general treatise and it goes way back to the initial implementation of TBs.
Either way something to keep in the back of your mind anyway.
Miker

·
Registered
107 Posts
80-85 for 1 hours straight? just asking, not judging.
I just bought my 2011 EX-L V6 (from my Mom...off lease ftw!) last week...flew to MA and drove it back to TN. I drove all the way through one tank starting in PA at about 90mph on the cruise and I don't think I slowed more than three or four times in well over 400 miles (started that tank at about 2:30 AM). There is nothing bad happening to your car at that speed...if you put a 120 gallon tank in the trunk the car would go 90 for 1000 miles at a time without complaint or undue wear etc.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
I just bought my 2011 EX-L V6 (from my Mom...off lease ftw!) last week...flew to MA and drove it back to TN. I drove all the way through one tank starting in PA at about 90mph on the cruise and I don't think I slowed more than three or four times in well over 400 miles (started that tank at about 2:30 AM). There is nothing bad happening to your car at that speed...if you put a 120 gallon tank in the trunk the car would go 90 for 1000 miles at a time without complaint or undue wear etc.
The question was NOT IF the engine would handle the speed and time, I needed to know the conditions. If Doom said he was at 80 for ten minutes then the prognosis would have been different. But since he WAS at 80 for an hour or so, the chance of icing INCREASES with gallonage of air ripping past the throttle plate.
Understand now?
I am very familiar with the amount of abuse, eh, an engine can tolerate.
But thanks for playing!!!:biggrin:
Miker

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
The question was NOT IF the engine would handle the speed and time, I needed to know the conditions. If Doom said he was at 80 for ten minutes then the prognosis would have been different. But since he WAS at 80 for an hour or so, the chance of icing INCREASES with gallonage of air ripping past the throttle plate.
Understand now?
I am very familiar with the amount of abuse, eh, an engine can tolerate.
But thanks for playing!!!:biggrin:
Miker
Icing on what? The TB has coolant circulating through it to prevent this from happening.

@DOOM you didn't do something retarded like TB coolant bypass along with a TB gasket did you?

And my ithrottle failed on me multiple times which was why I sold it. Once it felt like I was trying to accelerate in 3rd gear from a standstill...my guess is the ithrottle decided it wanted to go into numb-pedal mode.

·
Elvira
3,590 Posts
Icing on what? The TB has coolant circulating through it to prevent this from happening.

@DOOM you didn't do something .............(miker's edit cause I don't talk or repeat terms like this) like TB coolant bypass along with a TB gasket did you?

And my ithrottle failed on me multiple times which was why I sold it. Once it felt like I was trying to accelerate in 3rd gear from a standstill...my guess is the ithrottle decided it wanted to go into numb-pedal mode.
I kinda made an assumption that it was removed. If it was, it could exacerbate the problem. Icing is Why the heater was put there. But I also understand why it is bypassed at times esPecially when warmer climes are around. The added heat don't help.
Miker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts