Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have the car dropped on TEIN SS and I just installed the SPC 3 arm kit from throwdown performance. A friend took the car to my local dealer for an alignment and they can't get it in spec. I don't have the printout in front of me but I'll post it later tonight.

Is that even possible? The dealer should be able to adjust the length of the arms to get the camber in spec, right?

Are there any other places I can take the car to get it aligned to Honda spec?

·
Internet
502 Posts
from what i know, the SPC 3 arm should be able to adjust it 3 degrees back and forth, and TEINS only get you to like...-2 degrees or something
i dunno, somebody has to go verify this, im in class and im lazy

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Did you give them the instructions that came with the SPC kit? I don't have my instructions handy but I'm pretty sure they say the arms have to be adjusted in a certain order. Any alignment shop can do the alignment, it doesn't have to be a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Make sure you bring them the SPC instructions on what to adjust for Camber. 1 arm adjust more camber then the others. Once you figure this out its easy and should be able to get in within spec easily. I have no wheel gap at all and at first he had it at 0.00. Like said above you should run some negative camber, I ended up having mine set at -.7

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I was major pissed off when the dealer told me they couldn't do anything because it's aftermarket stuff. I just ended up wasting $90 ..

I'm taking it to an independent shop tomorrow morning. I talked to the manager and they've done alignments with lowered cars and aftermarket arms so I feel confident that they'll do it right. He was telling me how negative camber is good for handling but bad for treadwear. So I'll have to think about how much camber I really want.

If it's at -1 to -2 degrees, will rotating the tires fairly often offset the uneven treadwear?

Good call about bringing the SPC instructions, I'll definitely do that.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I was major pissed off when the dealer told me they couldn't do anything because it's aftermarket stuff. I just ended up wasting $90 ..

I'm taking it to an independent shop tomorrow morning. I talked to the manager and they've done alignments with lowered cars and aftermarket arms so I feel confident that they'll do it right. He was telling me how negative camber is good for handling but bad for treadwear. So I'll have to think about how much camber I really want.

If it's at -1 to -2 degrees, will rotating the tires fairly often offset the uneven treadwear?

Good go that.. That's the smart thing to do..

Yes - Camber is great for Handling but you increase tire wear by a lot..

Anywhere from -1- (-)2 is good but anything above that will eat your tires before you get a chance to breath.

I had -4.0 camber on my other stocks tires and in 1 month i ate through 50 % of tire haha....

·
Registered
191 Posts

the shop I went to said the same. they left me with -2.25 . next time im gonna bring my instructions

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
I'm at -2 with HFP suspension. No abnormal tire wear issue as I rotate my tires every 5-6k miles.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts

Is it a performance shop? Long story short. I replaced the shocks on my Civic with lowered springs (H& Sport), the car still tracks fine, but I figure it was the right thing to do to get an alignment. So I went to Big O Tires because they (that one) IS on the list as a Recommended Installer for lower springs, coilovers, etc - according to Tirerack.

They messed it up so bad, and give it every reason in the book why they could not get it right. The car drove horrible. Even the manger said, there is nothing they can do, and refuse to re-check it. Wasted $75.

So I went to a performance shop. They said "no worries" and got it aligned perfect. Drives like a champ.

This is where you have to look at the workers and not trust what the shop said they can do. If they look like tunner car owners, then they know what they are doing. Look at the employees cars parked in the back/side.

If they just look like regular wheel and tire guys, ASE or not, don't mean they always know what they are doing.

That was my experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey everyone. I have the car dropped on TEIN SS and I just installed the SPC 3 arm kit from throwdown performance. A friend took the car to my local dealer for an alignment and they can't get it in spec. I don't have the printout in front of me but I'll post it later tonight.

Is that even possible? The dealer should be able to adjust the length of the arms to get the camber in spec, right?

Are there any other places I can take the car to get it aligned to Honda spec?
Wonder how much you lowed? I want to buy the coilovers too, but I dont want to buy SPC Camper, so I dont know how max I can low my car without buying the SPC camper.:)

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
Wonder how much you lowed? I want to buy the coilovers too, but I dont want to buy SPC Camper, so I dont know how max I can low my car without buying the SPC camper.:)
any coils that are lowered to do a decent gap reduction would require a camber kit, if anything, the 1 arm camber. my 2 cent is why bother cheaping out when you'll regret it later? for me, it's still getting the i4 not the v6.

·
Registered
73 Posts
any coils that are lowered to do a decent gap reduction would require a camber kit, if anything, the 1 arm camber. my 2 cent is why bother cheaping out when you'll regret it later? for me, it's still getting the i4 not the v6.
I'm thinking just low my car: front 1.7'' and rear 1.5''. So I guess I dont need camper kit?:dunno:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm thinking just low my car: front 1.7'' and rear 1.5''. So I guess I dont need camper kit?:dunno:
You may need the 1 arm camber kit.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
You don't need a camber kit, but if you want to get your rear camber into factory specs you will need at least the 1-arm kit for the rear. You shouldn't need anything for the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts