Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my best price with local dealers.
I have one who is willing to give me my best price today only! - BUT -

"We have already installed Wheel Lip Moldings, Door Edge Guards and Nitrogen Filled Tires on this vehicle. Normally it costs $1,299 and Costco pricing is $1,100 (15% discount). It aslo comes with free oil changes for 7 years. 3 oil changes a year at an average of every 4 months or 5,000 miles (national average)."

Now the oil changes would be nice, but wheel lip moldings and door edge guards I can buy at autozone for under $10.00 for both.

Just read online that it costs $3-$10 to fill a tire with nitrogen.

I just countered with
"I have no need for the dealer installed options, but if you want the car gone this afternoon I'll come get it for my best price."

:angel

·
HK Moderator
14,092 Posts
Are you in Somalia? Curious because you do not have a location listed under your username.

If so, then that is a steal as new cars are difficult to obtain in war-ravaged Somalia. Good luck, OP!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you pay $1,100 for just the accessories you listed, you are basically forking over your wallet. Tell the dealer you don't want accessories, especially those useless things and if they don't throw them into the deal you already negotiated, then walk. That is an absolutely ridiculous amount to pay for what is worth about $200 Max.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have one who is willing to give me my best price today only! - BUT -

"We have already installed Wheel Lip Moldings, Door Edge Guards and Nitrogen Filled Tires on this vehicle. Normally it costs $1,299 and Costco pricing is $1,100 (15% discount). It aslo comes with free oil changes for 7 years. 3 oil changes a year at an average of every 4 months or 5,000 miles (national average)."

Now the oil changes would be nice, but wheel lip moldings and door edge guards I can buy at autozone for under $10.00 for both.

Just read online that it costs $3-$10 to fill a tire with nitrogen.

I just countered with
"I have no need for the dealer installed options, but if you want the car gone this afternoon I'll come get it for my best price."

:angel
Certainly what I woulda done....at my most generous.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you in Somalia? Curious because you do not have a location listed under your username.

If so, then that is a steal as new cars are difficult to obtain in war-ravaged Somalia. Good luck, OP!
Alphabetically I am just a rocks throw up from Somalia! So that makes it pretty close doesn't it?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you pay $1,100 for just the accessories you listed, you are basically forking over your wallet. Tell the dealer you don't want accessories, especially those useless things and if they don't throw them into the deal you already negotiated, then walk. That is an absolutely ridiculous amount to pay for what is worth about $200 Max.
Just to clarify - there wasn't a price negotiated.

I gave them my best price in which I told them at that price I would be buying within 24 hours They matched that price but then threw in the useless moldings and trim, plus the oil changes.

I'm going to assume that if every four months I go in for a free oil change (not sure what a new Honda oil change costs) over the course of 7 years that would cost me $600 - $700.00 so I would be paying $450.00 for about $50.00 worth of "upgrades" I can buy at auto zone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Pay it!

That will make it easier for those of us who are willing to haggle to get a lower price.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Just to clarify - there wasn't a price negotiated.

I gave them my best price in which I told them at that price I would be buying within 24 hours They matched that price but then threw in the useless moldings and trim, plus the oil changes.

I'm going to assume that if every four months I go in for a free oil change (not sure what a new Honda oil change costs) over the course of 7 years that would cost me $600 - $700.00 so I would be paying $450.00 for about $50.00 worth of "upgrades" I can buy at auto zone.
The new Accords have a Maintenance Minder that will tell you when to accomplish the maintenance based on your individual driving by monitoring several parameters. When the oil life indicator reaches 15% oil life remaining the car will indicate it's time to change the oil. Mine has had two oil changes and it's 23 months old and has 20,000 miles. An oil change at my Honda dealer is about $40.

My dealer had added about $1,000 in accessories I could have lived without but they gave them to me for free and met my price rsther than allowing me to walk out the door.

·
HK Moderator
14,092 Posts
Can't tell if this is a good deal or not- as you do not have your location listed under your username.

On this very forum, I have read how oil change prices are different depending on where the owner lives. For example, in Canada, it generally costs more money to receive an oil change than it does within the lower 48 states.

It certainly costs more to receive an oil change in American Samoa than it does in New Orleans.

Me? I'd steer clear of this dealer. They lied to you once about the "matched" price.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I gave the dealer $500 over invoice for my coupe and he took it. They had already installed all the accessories you listed and had MSRP up to $36,200. I have a good friend that is the finance manager of a Toyota dealership so I asked he to get me the invoice price for the car. It invoiced at just over $30k so I offered $30,600 and they said yes. I don't care what they think I paid for those accessories along as I feel like I got a good deal on the car...lol.. They tried to stick me with 4.5% interest as well and I had my friend double check and he said no way, they should be able to do .9%. The dealer was pissed that I wouldn't let them make 3.4% interest off me..lol.. They had to give me the .9% and $500 over invoice..lol.. Finance guy was about to cry because he really thought he could sell me on the higher interest rate and much higher price...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new Accords have a Maintenance Minder that will tell you when to accomplish the maintenance based on your individual driving by monitoring several parameters. When the oil life indicator reaches 15% oil life remaining the car will indicate it's time to change the oil. Mine has had two oil changes and it's 23 months old and has 20,000 miles. An oil change at my Honda dealer is about $40.

My dealer had added about $1,000 in accessories I could have lived without but they gave them to me for free and met my price rsther than allowing me to walk out the door.
thanks for this info Flyboy. I just read the same thing in another post. So I have copied/cut/and pasted that info into an email to the dealer.

Funny as I was reading the posts and politely declined their offer another email asking "what are these protections worth to you?" came in, and after 10 minutes without an email answer my cell phone starts ringing from this same dealership.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't tell if this is a good deal or not- as you do not have your location listed under your username.

On this very forum, I have read how oil change prices are different depending on where the owner lives. For example, in Canada, it generally costs more money to receive an oil change than it does within the lower 48 states.

It certainly costs more to receive an oil change in American Samoa than it does in New Orleans.

Me? I'd steer clear of this dealer. They lied to you once about the "matched" price.

Tacoma / Seattle
just called and for a 2015 Accord oil change the charge is $49.99

Hell I'll go back and purchase the vehicle if I can get my best price!

Which was pretty much the email I just sent off to them.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
Tacoma / Seattle
just called and for a 2015 Accord oil change the charge is $49.99

Hell I'll go back and purchase the vehicle if I can get my best price!

Which was pretty much the email I just sent off to them.
I pay $32 for my oil changes

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
486 Posts
Two can play the game. Tell them you will buy the package for $1100, but they need to knock off $1500 off the prior negotiated price.

No typo. $1500 additional discount and you will give them $1100. Seems fair to moi. :devil

Or they can ignore the package price, leave the crap on the car and finalize your original deal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Now the oil changes would be nice
One thing to consider is whether you are a person who can say no to service managers. They give free oil changes because they're a revenue generator. Same for free inspections. People come in for them and they sell them on extra maintenance that the car doesn't need. Or worse, fixing problems that the car doesn't have (once it's out of warranty, of course).

If you know you will be able to walk in and get nothing but your free oil change no matter what they say, then there's value in that. But if not, the free oil changes may actually have a negative value.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two can play the game. Tell them you will buy the package for $1100, but they need to knock off $1500 off the prior negotiated price.

No typo. $1500 additional discount and you will give them $1100. Seems fair to moi. :devil

Or they can ignore the package price, leave the crap on the car and finalize your original deal.
damn! I wish I would have gone with that answer Stevie!!

UPDATE:
So after I email the sales guy -
"The dealer installed options have NO value to me. Its like someone you don't know ordering your pizza toppings for you."

I mention I am traveling about 45 minutes to check out another Touring at a different dealership, and I include the GREAT info about the Maintenance Minder - (so don't try and sell me 3 oil changes a year) I get this email:

"Hi David,

So far we have given everything to help you get your desired price which is a $3200 loser deal for the dealership. We need you to participate in order for you to have this beautiful Accord. There is $250 dealer prep and my commission to sell a vehicle is $250. So it is now $29,000 plus tax, title, license & doc fee. "

$28,5k was my best price. No accessories, and this is before tax, license, and registration. (nothing can be done on the T,L and R fees)

I will more than likely visit the other dealership tomorrow as the other dealership's "GM" phoned me this afternoon saying they are trying to improve sales for the month of June, and have already kicked their July 4th event pricing into effect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gotta love service center pricing. You show loyalty and buy a car from the dealership and they still expect to rip you off. They even tend to do a half ass job sometimes. I had to replace my rear seat and they installed it and it came out good but they never put the 10 mm bolt back to lock it down so it could've been very dangerous. I'm glad I checked to see if everything was done properly.

Here is a video of a dude who took his car in for repair and they put in bad pieces to secure his car. Not trying to make this a hate comment but I am really wanting to start not relying on the service center as much as possible..

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
For which trim are you offering to pay $28,500? EX-L V6 Navi???

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
One thing to consider is whether you are a person who can say no to service managers. They give free oil changes because they're a revenue generator. Same for free inspections. People come in for them and they sell them on extra maintenance that the car doesn't need. Or worse, fixing problems that the car doesn't have (once it's out of warranty, of course).

If you know you will be able to walk in and get nothing but your free oil change no matter what they say, then there's value in that. But if not, the free oil changes may actually have a negative value.
The last time I took my 2000 Accord to the dealer to have the oil changed their inspection came up with about $1000 worth of items that needed repair including replacing the front struts. Sixth generation accords don't have front struts, they have a double wishbone front suspension. :0

Reactions: josby
1 - 20 of 33 Posts