Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently the dealer dented my car during a warranty job, 2 very small dents, ones I can live with as the repair was to repaint the whole quarter panel which was a little too aggressive of an approach IMO.
So I worked out a deal with the service manager to trade the repair for some parts I needed. We settled on a free OEM spoiler and dealer cost for a leather steering wheel with free install as I hated the cheap plastic steering wheel the EX came with. I told them I didn't want the bumper installed because I'm anal about fitment but long behold when I came to pick my car up after the steering wheel install, the spoiler was also installed! I was visibly annoyed of course. I removed the trunk liner/cover and found out they didn't install it with the included screws nor did they install the updated trunk springs to help with the additional weight. Service manager came out and said this was normal procedure which is insane considering if I had to pay them for the install, it would have been around $150 for some grease monkey to slap it on with some tape. Not wanting them to further damage our car, I politely asked them for a roll of 3m tape so I can remove the spoiler and re-install it properly. So what would have been a sub 1 hour install will now be a 1-3 hour removal and install to fix their blunder.

Does anyone have the oem spoiler and if so, did you forgo the screw in method for the 3m only installation? Also, I am noticing a slight gap all the way around the entire spoiler, im surprised the fitment is soo subpar considering this is OEM, anyone with this spoiler please chime in.

Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Wood Hood

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,310 Posts
I would only have it installed per instructions, screws so be it. That is not a dealer’s place to not follow instructions,

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
118 Posts
I have this exact same spoiler. I installed it per the instructions and yes I used the fasteners plus the 3M tape. I also found the fitment a little disappointing. I chose not to install the provided truck spring for one it requires a special tool and I've seen other people comment that the new truck spring is quite aggressive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have this exact same spoiler. I installed it per the instructions and yes I used the fasteners plus the 3M tape. I also found the fitment a little disappointing. I chose not to install the provided truck spring for one it requires a special tool and I've seen other people comment that the new truck spring is quite aggressive.
It seems like it's on there pretty good with just the tape, from what I've heard it's not a very heavy spoiler so I'm not really concerned about it flying off. I thought maybe that screwing it down will create a more flush fitment but that's not looking like the case if you're having fitment issues as well. I might keep it for a few months then sell it for something else. I was just venting because the dealer couldn't follow simple instructions.

Dealer just installed the updated springs yesterday and yes they are a bit aggressive, I might swap one spring for the normal one to lessen the spring rate and find a happy medium. I've seen people do them with just vice grips.

I would only have it installed per instructions, screws so be it. That is not a dealer’s place to not follow instructions,
It's funny because they thought I wouldn't know, like the internet doesn't exist or something in their world. At this point, I wouldn't entrust them to put on my registration sticker let alone re-install it properly.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
550 Posts
For me, because I ended up swapping the OEM accessory spoiler with an aftermarket spoiler, I would have preferred tape-only mounting (no 4 ugly holes to worry about covering up). That being said, if you are set on the OEM (don't make the mistake I did and look around to see what else was out there, lol), fastening with bolts/screws is Much more secure and long term!

Hopefully, you still have the fasteners (bolt, nuts, clips, etc) and the templates from the original kit? If not, I would ask/demand them from the dealer. Also, hopefully, they gave you your original trunk springs back too. (Mine was installed as part of the original purchase deal and although did an OK job of installing it, I didn't get the templates or the original trunk springs back).

If you trunk is opening too fast/hard and you have both sets of trunk springs, you can mix/match them and see if that helps at all. There are also two kinds of aftermarket trunk openers that I've seen (strut type and coil spring type) that aren't very expensive either (no more than $20-30 a set).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have part number for these springs?
No pn's on the springs themselves. But a lot of people opted not to install them so maybe you can request them and just pay for shipping. I'm currently having the dealer uninstall one HD spring and installing one normal spring so it will have one of each as the spring rate was too aggressive for me.

For me, because I ended up swapping the OEM accessory spoiler with an aftermarket spoiler, I would have preferred tape-only mounting (no 4 ugly holes to worry about covering up). That being said, if you are set on the OEM (don't make the mistake I did and look around to see what else was out there, lol), fastening with bolts/screws is Much more secure and long term!

Hopefully, you still have the fasteners (bolt, nuts, clips, etc) and the templates from the original kit? If not, I would ask/demand them from the dealer. Also, hopefully, they gave you your original trunk springs back too. (Mine was installed as part of the original purchase deal and although did an OK job of installing it, I didn't get the templates or the original trunk springs back).

If you trunk is opening too fast/hard and you have both sets of trunk springs, you can mix/match them and see if that helps at all. There are also two kinds of aftermarket trunk openers that I've seen (strut type and coil spring type) that aren't very expensive either (no more than $20-30 a set).
Yes, dealer gave me back everything(bolts, templates, springs). I might just go the tape route just in case I do want to change it later down the line and sell the OEM one. But I will def re-do it as it's not aligned properly and is about 1/4 off on one side, the template was still attached to the box so I know for sure they never used it. I'm just amazed on how lazy these people are considering their high install prices.
As far as the trunk springs go, I'm having the dealer re-install one of the normal springs to lessen the spring rate as it's too agressive on the way up and takes more effort to close for the wife. I'm hoping that's a happy medium. I wouldn't go the strut route as it will just be the same issue w/ closing it from the videos I've seen. I wish there was an automatic open/close kit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would want to try just one as well
Just swapped one heavy duty spring with the normal spring and it has a little more assistance than normal but definitely better than with 2 HD springs which was too much. If you don't have the bigger OEM spoiler, I'm thinking it will provide even more assistance with opening the trunk.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just swapped one heavy duty spring with the normal spring and it has a little more assistance than normal but definitely better than with 2 HD springs which was too much. If you don't have the bigger OEM spoiler, I'm thinking it will provide even more assistance with opening the trunk.
I gots no spoiler!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts