1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2013 Sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Accord 4-door Sport living in Arizona
Normal driver and not hard on acceleration
Dealer said change oil every 5k even first oil change if % is not to 15%
Took car in at 5k and changed oil (last Wednesday)
They did NOT rotate tires and said the rotate every 10k
Tire manufacturer (Goodyear) says every 6k
Since I have all oil and tire complete with my dealer, do I keep to the 10k rotation (every other oil change) schedule for my tires?

Thoughts?:dunno:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I go by the Maintenance Minder (MM) for everything with the exception of tire rotations which I do every 7,500 miles. The dealer service depts seem to have their own opinion and from what I have seen it varies from dealer to dealer. Some dealers are in shock if you come in for an oil change before it hits 15%, others will recommend more frequent intervals. I will side with Honda engineers who developed the car, therefore can't go wrong with the MM.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'm at 30% left with 8000 miles on the odometer. Dealer is ripping you off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Intervals

IMHO, Honda is an excellent (certainly world class) engine manufacturer! If their engineering staff recommends running our new vehicles to 15% (everyone's' mileages will vary depending on environment, driving habits, etc.)------then my view would be not to change at 5000 miles (or any set mileage interval as we have done for years past).........I would go with the MM recommendations. I have done this on my German vehicles for a long time and have experienced no problems despite my initial concerns about trusting the service interval to an onboard computer chip.

I would suggest to new Honda owners that they NOT allow service centers to sell them engine oil additives such as Krex, etc. My view is that the chemicals contained in those products may actually harm a Honda engine.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Change the Oil by the MM, not sure I agree doing it at 15% though, seems like a waste of money if your are only getting 85% of use of something. Having it changed at 5% would save you money.

Tire rotation at 7,500 results in evenly worn tires, even 10,000 should be good.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
When the dealer changes the oil they put a sticker on the windshield to remind you to change the oil at 3,500 miles. Changing oil has become a big business for dealers.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
When the dealer changes the oil they put a sticker on the windshield to remind you to change the oil at 3,500 miles. Changing oil has become a big business for dealers.
Before I took delivery of my '13 the dealer put a sticker on the windshield that it is due an oil change at 15%, but I'm going on a 3500+ mile trip in 1 week so I'm thinking of doing it early. I'm at 51-60% oil life now at around 5500 miles. I don't want to get it changed on the road.

·
Banned
970 Posts
I am not so sure about that

The dealer does not make money doing an 0-20W oil change (plus a car wash) at $24.99. A DIY oil change costs more than $25. I think it is the extra added stuff that dealer can make money on but a strict oil change will not result much profit.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
IMHO, Honda is an excellent (certainly world class) engine manufacturer! If their engineering staff recommends running our new vehicles to 15% (everyone's' mileages will vary depending on environment, driving habits, etc.)------then my view would be not to change at 5000 miles (or any set mileage interval as we have done for years past).........I would go with the MM recommendations. I have done this on my German vehicles for a long time and have experienced no problems despite my initial concerns about trusting the service interval to an onboard computer chip.

I would suggest to new Honda owners that they NOT allow service centers to sell them engine oil additives such as Krex, etc. My view is that the chemicals contained in those products may actually harm a Honda engine.
+1, I'll add Honda recommends AGAINST oil additives as do most manufacturers.

You can thank Jiffy Lube for this foolishness

·
Registered
618 Posts
The dealer does not make money doing an 0-20W oil change (plus a car wash) at $24.99. A DIY oil change costs more than $25. I think it is the extra added stuff that dealer can make money on but a strict oil change will not result much profit.

I don't know where you are getting those prices but here there are some fine print saying 0w20 is not included for those prices.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
This must not be consistent across dealers. Mine uses 5,000. They used to use 3,000 up until a couple years ago, but I was still going every 5-6k

·
Banned
970 Posts
I don't know where you are getting those prices but here there are some fine print saying 0w20 is not included for those prices.
Buerkle Honda in Whitebear Lake MN
Richfield Bloomington Honda in Richfield MN

I get email coupons from these dealers every other month. $19.99 for regular oil change with Honda oil filter and $24.99 for 0w20 and Honda oil filter. I don't use the coupon since I am a DIY person.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.