Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid. My dealership recommends a routine service visit every 5, 000 miles. Does that sound a bit extreme? I'm pretty sure Honda says 6,000 mile intervals.
Also, at the 15,000 mile service, my dealer recommends changing (not checking, but changing) the 10 speed CVT transmission fluid, and a four wheel alignment (both pretty pricey). The CVT is functioning fine; and the car doesn't drift or pull one side or the other; plus the tires seem to be wearing evenly (actually, I can't see ANY tire wear, yet).
So, am I being too cynical in thinking the dealer is loading up a bunch of totally unnecessary maintenance, or is there a good reason to do a full alignment and change tranny fluid at 15,000 miles.
Finally, is there a link for the official Honda maintenance schedule for my car?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dealers' service recommendations are primarily a money-making tactic. A lot of people go by what they say and end up spending more than they need on unnecessary or too frequent maintenance. A hybrid does not need oil changes every 5k miles since the engine, under normal driving, is not working as hard as a full ICE would. Honda doesn't give mileage-based maintenance intervals for normal driving, they recommend following the car's Maintenance Minder system that will prompt for services like oil change, transmission service, tire rotation, etc. As for the transmission, the HAH has an E-CVT which is not really a CVT at all. It uses DW-1 ATF fluid instead of HCF-2 CVT fluid, at least I'm pretty sure of this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid. My dealership recommends a routine service visit every 5, 000 miles. Does that sound a bit extreme? I'm pretty sure Honda says 6,000 mile intervals.
Also, at the 15,000 mile service, my dealer recommends changing (not checking, but changing) the 10 speed CVT transmission fluid, and a four wheel alignment (both pretty pricey). The CVT is functioning fine; and the car doesn't drift or pull one side or the other; plus the tires seem to be wearing evenly (actually, I can't see ANY tire wear, yet).
So, am I being too cynical in thinking the dealer is loading up a bunch of totally unnecessary maintenance, or is there a good reason to do a full alignment and change tranny fluid at 15,000 miles.
Finally, is there a link for the official Honda maintenance schedule for my car?
Thanks
I'm really hoping either you, the dealer, or both don't think there's a such thing as a 10 speed CVT transmission lol.

Anyways, dealers make some cha-ching off of praying on people who don't know any better. Fearmongering to some degree. It's a terrible thing, but it is common. Follow the maintenance minder on stuff that it tracks (It tracks transmission fluid changes, just make sure to reset it after the maintenance has been done). Take their advice as a suggestion instead of a requirement. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion at an independent shop either. Don't tell them what the dealer said. Instead, just say you want them to take a onceover of the whole car.

Very few people can tell if a car is out of alignment by eyeing it. Maybe on an older vehicle with a front solid axle suspension. See if they will do an alignment check and get a print out. The print out will definitely tell you whether you need an alignment or not.

Alignment involves several things like caster, camber, toe, steer ahead, and thrust angle.

As far as tire wear, YouTube the penny trick or get an actual wear gauge. Officially called a tread depth gauge.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My dealer put a sticker on the windshield " next oil change at 5000"
I did it myself at 6500.

My question is if they suspect the Tranny needs servicing and an alignment that tell them yea its acting weird, cover it under warranty :)

The sad part, that really makes my blood boil is 90% of the people today are clueless on cars and say " just $1000, sure go ahead"

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
OP,
Just do 5k synthetic oil changes (more like 5-7k if you do a lot of highway - Typically, there's no need to change it before MM shows 15% of oil life or less), brake fluids flush every 3 years, and say "NO" to everything else.

Any other services you think you might need, please log back on DA.net and discuss with us other Accord folks first... I have genuine concern your dealer is going to rip you off big time on services.

I did it myself at 6500.

My question is if they suspect the Tranny needs servicing and an alignment that tell them yea its acting weird, cover it under warranty :)

The sad part, that really makes my blood boil is 90% of the people today are clueless on cars and say " just $1000, sure go ahead"
I think that's so easy because most people just put it on CC and think it's no big deal. Sure it's no big deal if it's a necessity, and you plan to pay it back on time or have some promo APR. It is a BIG deal if you don't pay it back on time, cause the remaining balance, one could be charged 20-25% APR for whatever amount that is. That's absolutely worse than paying cash!

Reactions: Nick77

·
Cruising in Montana
4,588 Posts
I'm pretty sure Honda says 6,000 mile intervals.
Honda doesn't have mileage-based intervals anymore, hasn't since 2006. The car's built-in maintenance minder tells you when to do various things. That could be 3,000 miles if you drive in New York City, or almost 10,000 miles if you drive in Montana.

Service departments like mileage-based intervals because it pads their profit margins.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,792 Posts
The dealer is a POS. You're smart for checking with us. Having worked for a dealer I know their sleazy tricks and they are effing with you bigtime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer is a POS. You're smart for checking with us. Having worked for a dealer I know their sleazy tricks and they are effing with you bigtime.
Ha, now THAT'S a reply I can relate to, lol.

I did it myself at 6500.

I'm an old timer, and I want to take good care of my Hybrid Touring Accord; BUT I'm also not rich. I have trouble knowing what is necessary, and what is just more $$ for the dealer 'cause he has an expensive boat payment coming up, lol.

Check your maintenance minder for info on when to have maintenance performed. View attachment 542707 View attachment 542706 View attachment 542707
View attachment 542706
I must admit, I presumed the dealer entered data on the maintenance minder. I think a couple of you are saying Honda pre-programs maintenance needs triggered by mileage, etc. Good to know! At my age, this is probably the last car I will own so I want to take good care of it; on the other hand, I gotta eat, too, ha! Thanks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Honda doesn't have mileage-based intervals anymore, hasn't since 2006. The car's built-in maintenance minder tells you when to do various things. That could be 3,000 miles if you drive in New York City, or almost 10,000 miles if you drive in Montana.

Service departments like mileage-based intervals because it pads their profit margins.
Honda's Maintenance Minder tracks by both mileage and time. The time is based on a one year interval since the last service. The MM will pop up if either the time elapses or the mileage elapses, which ever comes first. This is why the MM pops up inconsistently amongst owners (as in your example).

So,
  1. If a year elapses and you've driven zero (0) miles (or less than the mileage interval), the MM will pop up; or
  2. If the mileage elapses before a year is up, then the MM will pop up.
NOTE: Neither the mileage nor time intervals are not published by Honda any longer because they expect owners to perform service base on the MM's calculation solely.

·
Registered
2021 Accord Hybrid Touring
35 Posts

I'm an old timer, and I want to take good care of my Hybrid Touring Accord; BUT I'm also not rich. I have trouble knowing what is necessary, and what is just more $$ for the dealer 'cause he has an expensive boat payment coming up, lol.

I must admit, I presumed the dealer entered data on the maintenance minder. I think a couple of you are saying Honda pre-programs maintenance needs triggered by mileage, etc. Good to know! At my age, this is probably the last car I will own so I want to take good care of it; on the other hand, I gotta eat, too, ha! Thanks.

The maintenance minder is programmed at the factory. It takes a variety of factors (miles, trip length, operating temps, rpms/load, passage of time, to name just a few) into account to show when the oil change and other maintenance items are due. I change my oil more often than it recommends (because I’m silly and this is my first new car) but doing it myself doesn’t cost much.

·
NextCruise
55 Posts
If the dealer told you that wolverines made good housepets would you believe them?

·
Registered
544 Posts

Use MM for most things, if you car isn't saying it needs it it probably doesn't. And like mentioned ask here.

Also unless you can't do basic stuff never let them replace your air filter, you can buy then for $15 but they will say " we will do it for our cost of $45" . Its a 10 minute job and you know its done. Would be shocked at what is sold and never done.

Cabin filters are about the same, they quoted my daughter $125 to change it in her jeep..Filter cost me $25 ( more then most ) and it took me 30 minutes and 15 of that was asking google where it was :)

·
Super Moderator
3,555 Posts
I went in to the Acura dealership last September because I was still on the last 2 months of my warranty and had a leak at the valve cover. They covered the leak under warranty and I paid $60 for the oil change.

I'm now out of warranty but I figure I'll still go them since It's a 5 minute walk home and they oil change was $60 everytime I went to them. My B1 came up a week or so ago so I went in for the oil change. They must have a new system because their service write up was $429 for the "B1". I told them remove everything but the oil change and it was now $89.99 for the oil change totaling $109 after fees and tax.

That will be my last trip their for service unless I end with another one that needs warranty service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts