Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get most of my Honda stuff online because of the pricing, but the other day I went to the dealer to pick up some brake fluid for the convenience of not having to wait for shipping. They wanted $12.99 per 12 Oz bottle! That's about 3x the online pricing and well above the MSRP. Is this a common practice with dealers?

Needless to say, I didn't end up getting anything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's a little fact. Most clueless dunder****s that go to the dealer have no idea what anything should cost. So when the dealer charges $200 to flush brake fluid and another $25 for fluid, they dont know any better.

Aside from warranty work, why anyone would go to the dealership is beyond me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's how the dealer pays for the magazines, hot coffee, TVs, cookies, and plush leather chairs in the service waiting room. Makes the customer feel very special. I don't need it, but some are thrilled!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's also what pays for the hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment, training, lifts, conveniences and dare is say... Profit.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
And Honda does not make it's own brake fluid. It's private labeled, so go to any auto part store for it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's also what pays for the hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment, training, lifts, conveniences and dare is say... Profit.
Yes. Those poor, poor dealerships just struggling to stay in business. :lmao:

$120 hour for labor, yet they turn around and pay the tech working on your car 1/5 of that if he is lucky. Then they turn around and charge you for shop supplies, and parts at outrageous markups. Again, most idiots dont know any better and will flock to the dealer to open their ass cheeks wide.

As for me, if its not a warranty repair, the dealer isnt getting a cent from me for service. If its something I cant do, it goes to a competent independent shop.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
Here's a little fact. Most clueless dunder****s that go to the dealer have no idea what anything should cost. So when the dealer charges $200 to flush brake fluid and another $25 for fluid, they dont know any better.

Aside from warranty work, why anyone would go to the dealership is beyond me.
Well said as I know what you are talking about in my family there are 3 doctors and you will not believe what people will pay for a medical procedure as they have clue what it really costs . Some doctors charge just crazy prices:lmao:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well said as I know what you are talking about in my family there are 3 doctors and you will not believe what people will pay for a medical procedure as they have clue what it really costs . Some doctors charge just crazy prices:lmao:
The difference is I can flush my own fluids on my car... Wouldn't try it with my body. (Even sounds dirty)

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
That's about 3x the online pricing and well above the MSRP. Is this a common practice with dealers?
Yes! It's one of the main reasons we join forums like DriveAccord. Independent shops do it too, usually not as bad as the dealer, but sometimes even worse. I avoid them all, unless I have no choice.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
I brought the printout of the parts list for timing belt replacement, plus other parts, to the local dealership, and asked the parts manager if he could match the prices. He said no way, and said the parts I was getting from HandAaccessories.com were probably not OEM parts (he was wrong obviously). Online prices, plus shipping, still beats local dealership prices before tax. Also, considering you don't have to run to the dealership, before 5pm on a weekday, and the parts come right to your door, it's a win win win IMO.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I do take some pause about criticizing my local Honda dealer "too much".

They do reasonably good work, but you should see the annual city tax bill for such a business. And that is not an expense within their control.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
I'm sure every dealership is different, but in my limited experience with the 1 local dealership within 100 miles, they can be both incompetent, and unscrupulous. They let my 92 Accord sit on their lot for days, and did nothing. Then tried to charge my wife for maintenance she didn't need. I have used them a few times over 24 years, with less than desired results. They are a last resort at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all Just bought a 03 EXL Coupe a couple weeks and went to the dealer to get parts to do all the diy things here and the prices were a little higher than the online prices but I wanted them right away. Except the spark plugs they wanted $24 apiece no thanks. But as I was leaving he said he would match online pricing if I brought in a copy of the prices with shipping so that was pretty cool

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The past couple of times I've bought small accessories or parts from my dealer the guy has given me a discount. IIRC the cabin and air filter came out cheaper at the dealer than buying online. This isn't always the case but some are a lot more customer friendly than others.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
I do agree with that, on SOME parts. The local dealership matched the price for a new "air tube" (rubber hose going from air filter to throttlebody), but would not match prices for the timing belt job parts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dont mind dealers making a profit, it's when they ask you to bend over backwards.

I personally know a Honda certified mechanic who used to work for Honda/Acura and now owns his own shop. Do you dare say that he's any better than some of the people I see working at Honda? No. But to say that some Honda dealers charge 1000+ for a timing belt job and my guy charges 600, and they both use EXACT honda parts tells me someone is being greedy.

If going to the dealer is what makes you sleep better at night, go ahead use them. I'm just tired of the dishonesty I've been experiencing as well as some of the guys there have no knowledge whatsoever about anything. I personally like my friendly mechanic who knows I'm loyal to. I refuse to be loyal to my Honda dealer for the arm and leg they charge for some services.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think I've come to understand that the "Service Writers" that the customer deals with have some sort of commission basis. If they do have a commission, it would make sense as the shop would be as busy as possible. So the Service Writer is the person you really have to keep you eye on!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, I dont give a shit if the dealer wants to markup 300% for its parts. Let the idiots that take their car to the dealer pay for that. What makes me mad is that the dealer will charge $120+ hr for labor, yet pay the techs $15-$20 flat rate. The tech made $40 on that $800 brake job you just paid for (which would've cost you $200 if you did it yourself and bought your parts online). So its not like you are paying for the expertise of the tech working on your car, because he gets a fraction of that, its more like you are paying the tech's slavemaster so the tech can hurriedly throw parts on your car and move on to the next because he's got to make money against the flat rate clock.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts