Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

!#@$!$# NO CARRIER
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a four wheel brake job on the wife's 2016 EX sedan this afternoon. Didn't really NEED to do the rears, but CarID had a good price on a four wheel kit - rotors pads and hardware all the way around, so what the hey. Alas, what should've been what, an hour and a half job (including stretch breaks 'cause it's no fun sitting out on the cold concrete all afternoon :) ) morphed into a nearly four hour struggle thanks to seized up retainer screws on all four rotors. HOO BOY.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Wood Rim

DEAR HONDA: We underSTAND why you put those little retainer screws in the rotors - so the discs don't fall off the cars as they roll down the assembly line. But really, once you've got the calipers and pads installed, you don't need those screws any more. So please Please PLEASE for the sanity of mechanics everywhere, TAKE OUT THE [bad words redacted] SCREWS! It'd take just a few seconds to buzz 'em out right before you install the wheels/tires. But you'd save a bazillion mechanics a bazillion heartaches down the road.

Ah well. The new rotors DO look pretty sweet, tho, don't they? :D
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Wheel Vehicle brake

Locking hubs Vehicle brake Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part

Yeah, I coulda done a better job cleaning the calipers and brackets but it was cold out and by the time I got to the rears it was getting pretty dark. :D

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
Can't wait for the latest installment of the debate amongst the members about whether those screws are really necessary or not....

Reactions: TXP and mtts60

MT or death
With a #3 JIS screwdriver or bit, they come out fairly easily. The key here is "JIS". It looks like a Phillips but is not!
No, they don't. I'm very familiar with JIS bits as I have Japanese motorcycles. A frozen bolt is a frozen bolt.

MT or death
The indisputable truth is that they are unnecessary and are only useful on the assembly line. Think about it: if they are indeed the retainer of your rotor FoR eXtRa sAfEtY, your wheel has already come off and you are no less screwed (pun intended).

Your wheel, properly torqued, holds everything together where it needs to be.

2015 accord sport
So I did a four wheel brake job on the wife's 2016 EX sedan this afternoon. Didn't really NEED to do the rears, but CarID had a good price on a four wheel kit - rotors pads and hardware all the way around, so what the hey. Alas, what should've been what, an hour and a half job (including stretch breaks 'cause it's no fun sitting out on the cold concrete all afternoon :) ) morphed into a nearly four hour struggle thanks to seized up retainer screws on all four rotors. HOO BOY. View attachment 546311

DEAR HONDA: We underSTAND why you put those little retainer screws in the rotors - so the discs don't fall off the cars as they roll down the assembly line. But really, once you've got the calipers and pads installed, you don't need those screws any more. So please Please PLEASE for the sanity of mechanics everywhere, TAKE OUT THE [bad words redacted] SCREWS! It'd take just a few seconds to buzz 'em out right before you install the wheels/tires. But you'd save a bazillion mechanics a bazillion heartaches down the road.

Ah well. The new rotors DO look pretty sweet, tho, don't they? :D
View attachment 546312

View attachment 546313

Yeah, I coulda done a better job cleaning the calipers and brackets but it was cold out and by the time I got to the rears it was getting pretty dark. :D
I gonna let ever know the easiest and simplest way to remove these rotor screws 100% , you don鈥檛 need any special tool or anything, all you have to do is put back the lug nut next to the screw you want to remove and tighten it, this will release any pressure on the screw and simply unscrew the screw, this trick was taught to me at the dealership, you do this once you will never ever have anymore issue removing these screws, 2 things you will want to do before doing this is spray we-40 or whatever on the screw and once the lug nut is tighten give a good wack with a hammer on the rotor. God bless

Registered
With a #3 JIS screwdriver or bit, they come out fairly easily. The key here is "JIS". It looks like a Phillips but is not!
They would come out easier with torx head screws. Or the head would shear off and we'd move directly on to the drilling. Either way.

Registered
What brand are the rotors and the pads? Do you notice any difference in braking?

DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
... morphed into a nearly four hour struggle thanks to seized up retainer screws on all four rotors. HOO BOY...
DEAR mrz80:
If you think the screws are unnecessary, why did it take you that long?
With a drill (slightly larger than the threaded post), you can DRILL OFF the head (just the head) of the screw to free the rotor in 30 seconds. Next time, try that, instead of spending hours trying to do the extraction.

Honda leaves screws there or not doesn't make a lot of difference after all.

BRWNFLSH now
Yes, the screws are pretty soft metal, so they drill out pretty easy. I like the screws because they hold the rotors on while I do brake work, and there is less chance of something falling between the hub and rotor, causing issues later on. I use a craftsman impact driver now that I have one, and it works every time. If not the drill and a 1/4" bit make quick work of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts