Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into extended warranties and came across a company called concord auto protect. They are offering coverage for 100,000 miles after the factory warranty, so coverage up to 136,000. The cost of the plan is $1,400 which I’m sure is cheaper than most dealers. I believe the deductible is $50 for any repair.

I’m thinking about not getting a warranty. Honda is known for its reliability. On the other hand, it is the first model year of the car which can bring uncertainty.

What are you guys doing?

MODERATOR EDIT: If you decide to buy a HondaCare policy, post about it in the proper thread. The following thread has info on where to get the best price: https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/497401-10th-gen-honda-care-warranty-usa-purchase-local-dealer-online.html

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I’ll make this simple: If you want an extended warranty, just buy the HondaCare plan that matches your desired coverage and budget from one of the online sellers. It will likely be significantly less than $1400, and the contract will at least be worth the paper it’s written on, unlike most third-party coverages like you mentioned.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I added Geico's mechanical breakdown insurance to my policy. Yes, Its a $250 deductible but I got it just for peace of mind. I'm not expecting anything to happen but if something does after the warranty period then I'm covered for any huge repairs. I pay $32 every 6 months which is not bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have always purchased HONDACARE and with $0 deductable -
I am sure they offer higher deductibles if you like to save cost.
I have found buying it direct is the best way to go about this and at the end it is lower than what the dealer is trying to sell you at signing.

Do you research first.

I am adding the link so you can request a quote.
link ---> Honda Extended Warranty | Honda Care

Good luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have always purchased HONDACARE and with $0 deductable -
I am sure they offer higher deductibles if you like to save cost.
I have found buying it direct is the best way to go about this and at the end it is lower than what the dealer is trying to sell you at signing.

Do you research first.

I am adding the link so you can request a quote.
link ---> Honda Extended Warranty | Honda Care

Good luck!
I agree, that's what I did because of a thread started by the moderator in which he listed two sources. If you use it just once you'll get back the additional amount you paid for 0 deductible.

·
Tampa FL
415 Posts
Most of the Time; you will loose money on extended warranties; 98% of car buyers never used them for what they paid for them.
I did not get an extendedwarranty on my 2014 Accord Sport 6MT; my only 2 issues have been the starter, which cost me $300 to replace and a new battery ($180, Optima Yellow) , I have 80K miles on the car; and not a single issue (plus i have a lifetime warranty on engine/transmission) as long as I service at dealer, and because of coupons, oil changes are about $15 - $20.
I will never buy an extended warranty again on a Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Care Warranty

Hi,

I purchased my 2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0 w/navi this past Saturday for a great price. Once I met with the financial guy he tried to sell me the Honda Care Warranty. He told me it retailed for $2,400 but would sell it to me for $1,400. After a while of discussion and negotiation I got him down to $1,100 but then I decided against it. I know it's a carp shoot whether you'll use it or now but now I'm second guessing my decision. Should I have taken it for $1,100? Your thought will be appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,

I purchased my 2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0 w/navi this past Saturday for a great price. Once I met with the financial guy he tried to sell me the Honda Care Warranty. He told me it retailed for $2,400 but would sell it to me for $1,400. After a while of discussion and negotiation I got him down to $1,100 but then I decided against it. I know it's a carp shoot whether you'll use it or now but now I'm second guessing my decision. Should I have taken it for $1,100? Your thought will be appreciated.
You'll get hundreds of opinions on this. Ultimately you will need to decide what will help you sleep better at night. Personally I've never seen any value in these warranties, even with all the new technology on cars today. If you buy the warranty, you almost want something bad to happen where you need to use it so you feel like you got your money's worth from it.

I'd stick the $1,100 in a separate bank account and never touch it until an out of warranty repair comes up. The likelihood of using the $1,100 before you get rid of the car is low. It may happen, but odds are in your favor that it won't.

I still have a 2004 Accord with over 175,000 miles. Zero issues with it. The most expensive repair was replacing the clutch for the first time earlier this year which would never be covered by an extended warranty. I've never had any issues with any Honda I've owned where an extended warranty would have saved me money. In rare cases it will pay off for some people who have a major unexpected failure. For everyone else, you're just adding to the fund to pay for someone else's major unexpected failure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Should I have taken it for $1,100? Your thought will be appreciated.
How many years/mileage of coverage is this for? I agree with BackPack that this is a personal decision, and there's no right or wrong answer. I struggled for awhile whether or not to buy the insurance myself, but in the end decided to buy only the Tire & Rim protection warranty instead, as I figured there's a very high chance that I will suffer some kind of damage (includes punctures) within the 7 year coverage.

Edit: Also read the fine print on what is not covered by the extended warranty. This partially swayed me to decide against buying it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Agreed with BackPack. IMO you are better off putting that money aside in case of an emergency. If nothing happens you can spend the money elsewhere. No reason to lock yourself into an expensive warranty if you can afford to save a bit of money for a future repair. You may never even use the warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agreed with BackPack. IMO you are better off putting that money aside in case of an emergency. If nothing happens you can spend the money elsewhere. No reason to lock yourself into an expensive warranty if you can afford to save a bit of money for a future repair. You may never even use the warranty.
If you mean the $2800 10year/100K warranty the dealer tried to sell me, then I agree.
If you mean the $1090 8year/120K warranty I can get online, I dont agree.

$1090 is cheap peace of mind. Sure, I could go 36K with no issues and I just did with my Acura....but going 120K with no issues is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
73 Posts
$1090 is cheap peace of mind. Sure, I could go 36K with no issues and I just did with my Acura....but going 120K with no issues is highly unlikely.
Not sure why you think it's highly unlikely to go 120k with no issues. I've owned three previous Honda vehicles. All have gone over 200k with no issues. This includes an early gen. 2 Odyssey. If I was that worried and needed peace of mind, I would instead buy a low mileage CPO car with a known good reliability history.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah, it is a decent price. But you know what is cheaper? Tucking that same $1,000 away in savings or into an investment vehicle and using it as needed. If you can spend $1,000 now why don't you just save it for a possible repair as needed? I'd rather do that than throw $1,000 at a warranty I may never need.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Respectfully, I completely disagree with both of you.

I cannot imagine you had that much of a trouble free experience. And with the cost of repairs and the complexity of electronics, I get concerned that the bill will be out of sight.

I do agree that cars are made much better than today and perhaps I just need to overcome my life experience. I think I have used every single extended warranty I purchased at least once.

My recent Acura had a couple of issues that needed to be repaired. They occurred in the first 3 years, which was not a good sign and reenforced the notion that all cars, including Honda, break.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Respectfully, I completely disagree with both of you.

I cannot imagine you had that much of a trouble free experience. And with the cost of repairs and the complexity of electronics, I get concerned that the bill will be out of sight.

I do agree that cars are made much better than today and perhaps I just need to overcome my life experience. I think I have used every single extended warranty I purchased at least once.

My recent Acura had a couple of issues that needed to be repaired. They occurred in the first 3 years, which was not a good sign and reenforced the notion that all cars, including Honda, break.
No problem with you disagreeing. Everyone will make their own decision based on their experiences. In 25 years of buying new cars, I've never had a major failure on any vehicle and that includes my first brand new car, a 1992 Dodge Daytona. In fact I can't remember any failure that I paid out of pocket for. Anything that failed happened during the normal warranty period. Perhaps I've been lucky. I do take care of my cars with the routine maintenance and regular wash/wax to keep them clean. The most expensive repair I ever had on my '96 Accord and '00 Odyssey was timing belt/water pump change. Each cost about $1,000. That's considered normal maintenance and I don't think would be covered by any extended warranty. And the newer generation Accords use timing chains now so this isn't something that needs replacing now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In 25 years of buying new cars, I've never had a major failure on any vehicle and that includes my first brand new car, a 1992 Dodge Daytona. In fact I can't remember any failure that I paid out of pocket for.
I've had a similar experience in my ~30 years of purchasing new cars, but back then Hondas didn't have DI & turbos either (not sure if those are covered under extended warranty though). I fully expect the new cars with all the fancy electronics & sensors to experience some kind of failure within the first 8 years but just not sure if it will exceed the cost of the warranty. I do know a friend who bought extended warranty and have used it (2004 Sienna), but his was a higher mileage vehicle, and had a major failure at around year 5 or 6.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts