Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
369 Posts
Respectfully, I completely disagree with both of you.

I cannot imagine you had that much of a trouble free experience. And with the cost of repairs and the complexity of electronics, I get concerned that the bill will be out of sight.

I do agree that cars are made much better than today and perhaps I just need to overcome my life experience. I think I have used every single extended warranty I purchased at least once.
I've had similar experiences.

Bought a HondaCare warranty for my 6th Gen. And although it was a nearly trouble-free car over the 18 years I had it, a $600 motorized seat repair and $1200 exhaust system issue exceeded the warranty price I paid.

Not only was it practical and good peace of mind for me - but neither of these issues would have been covered under the various non-HondaCare warranties many dealerships sell.

Count me as a big HondaCare warranty fan. With all the new electronics in a first year (2018) model, it's peace of mind I'm willing to pay for.

A double win since the warranty more than paid for itself - and I was covered by HondaCare when the other companies wouldn't have paid for these repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Accord today. I opted not to get the warranty... I sure got ripped on the finance rate, though

·
ChoppednTubbed
427 Posts
That's a good way to look at it.Insurance.Thanks,you made my mind up for me.
And, when you think of it, Extended Warranties are better than insurance. Since Extended Warranties are not compulsory like insurance, you don't have to get it. So..........don't get it!

·
Need some LSD...
76 Posts
No! Given my good brand experience with previous Honda's I would easily decline.

My wife had a 2008 Civic for almost 10 years and the only thing I had to replace outside of basic maintenance items was motor mounts.

I owned a used Civic Si and over the course of 80k miles the only items that I replaced were: motor mounts, 02 sensor, and also the clutch was replaced(prev owner (FORNICATION) it up).

·
Reverse Gear
991 Posts
The most reliable Honda that my family has owned was 2002 Odyssey we bought new. In 10 years and 93,000 miles of ownership, we had exactly 2 non-maintenance repairs.

1. A transmission sensor that probably would’ve cost $120 anywhere else but the dealer inflated it to $280
2. The backlight on the clock failed. I repaired it myself for $2.50.

2002 was a particularly bad year for odyssey’s as the transmissions were very fragile (same issue in some 6 cylinder accords from the same time period). Just like I got lucky with a notoriously unreliable car, there’s always the guy who buys an extremely reliable car who gets unlucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 2018 Accord EX is our 4th Honda. Looked through receipts to see what I've spent on out of warranty repairs/replacement. Everything is in miles:

2004 Accord - O2 sensor failed at 138k. $220 replacement. Sold at 144k. No other repairs.
2006 Pilot - Possible pinhole radiator leak noticed at 205k. Haven't replaced radiator yet. Currently have 211k. No other repairs.
2011 Odyssey - PS fluid leak from fitting on rack at 124k. Replaced rack for $1550. Currently have 178k. No other repairs.

Didn't have extended warranty on any of them, and none of the repairs would have been covered anyway.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am probably going to skip the extended warranty too...my 06 accord, I sold at 128k miles, only 3 issues, 02 sensor and both rear calipers went out....all three were past the 120k mile mark anyways. I fixed all three items for about $100 total, no labor since I did it myself. Had the standard brakes and oil changes which isn't covered anyways. I could have been lucky, but still hopeful that Honda makes a decent car---even tho people say reliability went down, I think that is across the boards with most makers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Skipping the extended warranty... (?)

The extended warranty that most fits my driving (km/year) is the 7 yr/130,000 km for CAD$1,998.00.

The "standard" warranty is 3 years, 60,000 km.

I've never taken an extended warranty before. But given the complexity of the 1.5T engine and transmission (CVT) I've been pondering it pretty hard.

I chatted with my SO last night and she and I agree that it's smarter to "self warranty". Since I always keep reserve cash in any case, why let Honda enjoy its use? It's earning me about 6.1%[1] (after taxes) at present which is not terrible for cash lying around.

I figure the car will easily exceed 7 years w/o anything major happening in which case the $2K for the warranty would have been wasted (yeah, I know, insurance...). But since I will be keeping at least $3K in that account "forever" then it represents a good chunk of anything major that is likely to happen. The cash is there if needed.

Thoughts?

[1] My bank waives the monthly fee ($10.95) if I keep $3000 or more in a particular account. That equates to 4.38% interest. (money not spent). And since money not "earned to be spent" can't be taxed, it's like 6.1% in real terms. So that money won't go towards the downpayment on the car as the financing is 1.99% (3 years). I plan to pay it off in about 12 - 14 months on a 3 year financing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This topic brings out the fun lol. My only comment in here is that I went with an 84 month bumper to bumper that came with things like paintless dent removal and about 5 free windshields. For the electronic toys, etc..., it was worth the cash expecially with what I saved on the purchase. Ill have the car paid off in 2-3 years, and will have a bumper to bumper warranty with no deductible for another 3-4 years after that.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I think 7 years with no major issues is extremely optimistic. Power train should be fine but those 'all-new'electronics. No way. Imagine the cost of ripping out the dash for a new head unit or replacing the radar system. We have no idea how that stuff will fare.

I am with you about the extended warranty. Never believed in them. This car changed that for me.

My opinion comes with a heaping grain of salt because I leased... :| but if I bought it, I would have gotten the best coverage I could find.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You're thinking correctly that it makes more sense to save the money yourself (or invest it) and reap the benefits of compounding interest. No reason to shell out thousands to Honda that you may never need to spend.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It is a game of statistics. Car companies that have production numbers in the millions employ brilliant engineers who are experts in planned obsolescence and life expectancy calculations. It is possible to calculate based on stress-strain of a part when it is operating in unlimited life range vs limited life range. For parts that are loaded in such a way that their life expectancy is limited, there are charts that show (based on tests and statistics) after how many load cycles a failure is to be expected on a logarithmic scale.

Think how many times you had a device (electronic gadget, appliance, hand tool, etc) broke down on you just after its warranty has expired. Coincidence? No, it broke down because it is designed to do exactly that.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Moderator of this board thinks it's 100 times larger than it is. Another stupid merge to break the flow. I will never return to this site.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Moderator of this board thinks it's 100 times larger than it is. Another stupid merge to break the flow. I will never return to this site.

The topics of both threads are literally the same. The titles are the same with sightly different wording. I'm glad merges like this occur because people keep starting threads on the same topic and clogging the board up with nonsense.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts