Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) is usually available through your auto insurer with better coverage, at a much lower cost, compared to a dealership extended warranty. For my 2019 Accord EX-L 2.0 it is about $100/yr with $250 deductible ($50 deductible on windshield/glass replacement).
https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/
From everything I gather on the website, MBI covers only mechanical problems and not electronic issues. I don't care much about brakes, timing belts or mechanical issues, my trusted mechanic can deal with those cheaply. It's the electronics stuff that scares me since only the dealer really has the knowledge of how to fix it. And those fixes are not cheap.

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
41 Posts
From everything I gather on the website, MBI covers only mechanical problems and not electronic issues. I don't care much about brakes, timing belts or mechanical issues, my trusted mechanic can deal with those cheaply. It's the electronics stuff that scares me since only the dealer really has the knowledge of how to fix it. And those fixes are not cheap.
Electrical is covered and repairs can be made by the dealership, or any qualified auto shop of your choosing. After seeing the reports on this site of $1200 windshield replacement/sensor recalibrations for the 10 gen Accords, in addition to all the electronics, touch screen, turbo, etc...The relatively small cost is worth it to me.
Link to a MBI policy amendment: https://www.massagent.com/auto/gecc09mar23709.pdf

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
I was looking into extended warranties and came across a company called concord auto protect. They are offering coverage for 100,000 miles after the factory warranty, so coverage up to 136,000. The cost of the plan is $1,400 which I’m sure is cheaper than most dealers. I believe the deductible is $50 for any repair.

I’m thinking about not getting a warranty. Honda is known for its reliability. On the other hand, it is the first model year of the car which can bring uncertainty.

What are you guys doing?
I'm not sure where you are on the Jersey Shore (I'm in Monmouth County). The dealerships here really jack up the prices of any repair. They really hate it when you come in for a covered repair because they know they're going to get paid (whatever warranty rate is specified which is) way less than what they would charge a non-covered retail customer. Since the service writers are pressured to increase profit, they always try to add something that's really not necessary (and not covered) to what you came in for. If you end up getting that warranty and using it, never commit to those add-ons that they no-doubt will try to add to your bill. One dealership tried to sell me brakes when mine had more than 75% left on all 4 pads. If I had given in and not checked them myself, I never would have known. I can't wait to see what they try to add when I come in for the fuel pump recall.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Think how many times you had a device (electronic gadget, appliance, hand tool, etc) broke down on you just after its warranty has expired. Coincidence? No, it broke down because it is designed to do exactly that.
I've got a house full of very expensive stuff that has never failed and is far beyond warranty. So, no. Things are not "designed to do exactly that."

For that matter my Accord is 16 years old and other than regular maintenance, brakes, exhaust manifold, starter and a couple other doo-dads, it's fine.

So, no. Not designed to fail. That is a myth. A sad myth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I never buy extended warranties on anything. Why do you think they always push them so hard?

I have over $100k worth of electronics, a lot of which is well past the warranty period, and it all works fine. Sure, I do have the occasional graphics card or hard drive fail, but with no exceptions that I can recall, it always occurs during the "infant mortality period", while the device is still under warranty. I have over 80 GPUs, 130 HDs, 20 mobos, 20 PSUs, 10+ TVs (including 10+ year old Plasmas), iPads (gen 2), iPhones (back to iPhone 5), and Android tablets (5+ years old), all of which are doing great. The reason I have 80+ GPUs is that I mine cryptocurrency and they are driven 24/7 which they were not really designed for. But despite this, they just keep going. Most of my GPUs are well past 2 years old now and have ROI'ed a long time ago, but I have no reason to believe they will soon begin failing. I have a pile of old laptops in a closet. They all still work fine, but are just too old to be useful anymore.

In my 35 years as a consumer of cars, appliances and electronics, I have only experiences 2 major failures as follows:

1. I had about 25 micro inverters fail in a large solar array. However, those have a 10 year warranty and the manufacturer send me 64 replacement units so that I would be able to replace any other ones that will fail in the future as they admitted to a manufacturing flaw.

2. My 2002 Duramax truck had an injector fail that filled the crankcase with diesel. Fortunately there was a recall on this, so the dealer replaced all the injectors at no cost to me. That truck is still running strong with over 150k on it now.

So other than known manufacturing flaws where they make good on their mistake at no cost to me, I have not experienced any failures that would have cost me out of pocket and I had wished I had gotten an extended warranty.

Statistically speaking, you are much better off declining extended warranties and just dealing with the repairs, should they occur. If you're living on a very tight budget and/or don't maintain an "emergency fund" that might not always be an option of course.

YMMV of course and I'm not suggesting you always decline extended warranties. I'm just expressing what my experience has been and why, in my situation, I always decline them. It has worked out well for me for the last 35 years, but everyone's situation is different.

·
Registered
127 Posts
>>>Warranty cost - sales commissions - insurance company's overhead and profit = value.
Nice try. Skipped a few classes, huh?<<<<

Point being, buyers cannot statistically "win" this game over a long term. Ok, there's a "peace of mind" value too, but I believe it makes more sense to self insure if the risk is not devastating.

·
RB16P
92 Posts
Someone mentioned the windshield cost... That was the seller for me due to my 8hr 1-way trips for work. I've had the windshield replaced twice (large rock chips that turned to cracks when I got back on land) and the sensor in the middle of the front bumper once (faulty sensor) with less than 12k miles on the car. The sensor was covered by manufacturer warranty but the windshields definitely wouldn't have been. Windshield replacements as well as the calibration of those sensors pretty much took care of the cost of the Honda Care for me anyways. If I didn't travel long distances then I probably would not pay for additional coverage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Electrical is covered and repairs can be made by the dealership, or any qualified auto shop of your choosing. After seeing the reports on this site of $1200 windshield replacement/sensor recalibrations for the 10 gen Accords, in addition to all the electronics, touch screen, turbo, etc...The relatively small cost is worth it to me.
Link to a MBI policy amendment: https://www.massagent.com/auto/gecc09mar23709.pdf
I didn't go for any type of extended warranty, but after 26,000 miles in 10.5 months can attest to the windshield repair cost. My wife was driving a few months ago and had an unidentified chunk of something hit the windshield and cause pieces of glass to fall onto the dash...no cracks on the outside of the glass! $1107 windshield, which thankfully was covered for $100 by our 'premium auto' supplemental coverage on our policy (which we are most definitely paying for as the car is $79/month and we are mid/upper 40's with no tickets in 19 years).

Two chips in the last month (one so small it literally was smaller than a pen tip) have caused another 2 plus feet of windshield cracks, and it makes me wonder how many $1100 windshields the insurance company will purchase before raising our rates. We did the first replacement through Safelite; the initial quote to me was $647, then ballooned to $1107 once they found out insurance was involved... :thumbsdow

Over the last few months I've had a few episodes of rough idle and an actual series of 3 stumbles/misfires while on an interstate onramp, and over the last week believe I'm getting a rotten egg smell periodically while driving (not spirited driving either)...makes me wonder if the catalytic converter is plugged/damaged....

Will be investigating that when it's taken in for the steering rack and front grille replacements, and what sounds like a cooling fan hitting a shroud when I turn the car off.

I've never purchased any sort of extended warranty on anything in 47 years on the planet, but am having some doubts about the long term reliability of this thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure where some of this pricing comes from. Paid 1100 for 8yr/120K. Two online dealers offer this price and have done so for a decade. Never buy these warranties at an actual dealership.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We are Leasing a new LX this coming Tuesday, our previous Accords we didn't purchase any Extended Warranty since Honda has always made great Accords BUT with the addition of the turbo engine and all these new electronic extras, the Honda Plus Extended Warranty is starting to look like a good idea.

Maybe some of you with the 2018 Accord could shed some light on wether the Honda Plus Extended Warranty is a good idea or not?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 Honda Accord EX-L, and i love my vehicle.

When i purchased my vehicle, it came with a basic factory warranty and extended warranty.

Are extended warranties truly worth the purchase? Or are they a waste of money? Appreciate the responses.

Also i've been receiving many vehicle warranty notifications from "companies" that i am not aware of. Has anyone experienced this annoyance ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My opinion is no. I would rather keep my money, invest or save it and use it in the event something happens. For an older or high mileage car it may come in handy and I had that exact situation occur where the extended warranty saved me a couple thousand bucks. For many people, they turn their car over before the extended warranty can make a difference.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hello All,

When i purchased my vehicle, it came with a basic factory warranty and extended warranty.

Are extended warranties truly worth the purchase? Or are they a waste of money? Appreciate the responses.

Also i've been receiving many vehicle warranty notifications from "companies" that i am not aware of. Has anyone experienced this annoyance ?
My usual answer and practice is no. And I've stuck to that for decades. Not just with cars. With everything. I recall telling one closer "why on earth would I want extended warranty? This is a Honda and I come back for Honda because I don't need no stinking extended warranty with Honda, they go the distance and then some."

However, given the complexity of recent cars and technology change and a trend to cost cutting that has me more than a little concerned of late, on my most recent Honda Accord, I did take the extension. All the electronics, CVT, turbo, etc. So I took it. Of course if anything expensive goes boink, it will be post extended warranty. Because: Honda.

So for the first time ever I took the +4 for 7 years coverage. And yes I know there are gaps in there as to whatis and whatisn't.

Am I convinced it's worth it? No.
Does it help me sleep at night? No. I generally sleep okay anyway.
Was it money badly spent? Maybe. Time and km will tell ...

Your choice because: your dollars.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,942 Posts
All I can say is, I bought Hondacare from Bernardi Honda in Natick Mass for $900, one for my 7th gen, another when I got my 8th. They both paid for themselves.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2019 EX-L. I also love the car!

I have hondacare but bought from Saccucci. I got 8 years and 120K for 1140. My dealer wanted more than double for the same plan.

For that price, I think its worth it. Although Honda makes quality products bad things can happen. Even a few small annoyances can add up.

I get the extended warranty calls all the time. They are a scam.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts