Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
One good thing about electronics is that if they get past the first year without failing, they tend to be good for a long time.... (One exception being batteries....)

That said, the long-term thermal-cycling that automotive electronics are exposed to (or can be exposed to) IS a stressful environment.

The only electronics failures I've ever had on a car I've owned, was the odometer (as well as trip odometer) display on a 2000 Ford Expedition, which intermittently went blank. It was a case of solder joints that went intermittently bad, due to lots of temperature cycles. The fix was easy, just heating up and resoldering some solder joints, but the pain of getting TO those solder joints was extreme.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do buy, but have not purchased for this car yet. If I sell the car, I can get a partial refund on the extended warranty, prorated to the amount of time I’ve had the car. I’ve done this several times with Hondacura products. Peace of mind, and I can get some money back.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You'll want to evaluate miles AND years. For my late 2014, I made it 5 years, 150k miles with no mechanical failures, and only one bad battery. The dealer tried to sell me a warranty matching those limits, and I declined simply because I expect such failures to occur AFTER the 5-year mark, and I drive about 30k a year. If you drive less than 15k, a 136k mile warranty will be useful, as you could reasonably expect issues to pop up as you approach 10 years, but if you drive 30k+, consider that in your search

·
2016 Accord Coupe EX-L
131 Posts
When I purchased my 2016 Accord my dealer wanted over $2,500.00 for the 8 yr/100K miles warranty. I've learned on this forum that you can get it much cheaper online however since I drive 30,000 miles a year I still didn't think it was worth it since I'd hit the 100K a few months into my 4th year. I currently have 125,000 miles on the car and I have not experienced any issues except the DRL burning out at around 40,000 miles. It was expensive, it cost over $700 to replace the entire headlight assembly I was shocked how costly this was so I contacted Honda of America and after some back and forth they refunded me 100%. They've since given an extended warranty on this part so I'm covered for 10 years and unlimited miles. In my experience the Honda care warranty would have been a waste of money. Although this car has been the easiest to maintain and the most reliable I've ever owned, I'd probably take the warranty if I drove 10,000 miles a year since the 8 year coverage would most likely be used if I kept it that long.

·
Registered
320 Posts
One good thing about electronics is that if they get past the first year without failing, they tend to be good for a long time.... (One exception being batteries....)
When my car was about 9 months old, my driver-side wire harness failed, causing the driver door keyless entry not to work. And yesterday, while driving in a winter storm, the ACC failed, with all the usual warnings. I cleared the snow off the sensor, and normally the system would reset itself. However, this time it didn't, at least not for the next 8-10 start/stops. I was almost ready to call the dealership tomorrow, when all of a sudden, it started working normally again. I've never bought extended car warranties in my 31 years of car ownership (and have never needed it), but I am seriously considering it this time around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had Hondacare on my 2004 Accord v6 and my wife's 2005 Odyssey.

On the Accord I got a squeak in the right visor after four years. They replaced the headliner with no questions asked (I don't know what it would have cost). A year later I got a short in my electrochromic mirror that fried the body control module. That was also replaced with no questions asked (an $800 repair). When I traded the car after six years I got $150 back from Honda. I figure that I saved a little more than the $1200 cost over the six years.

On the Odyssey they replaced the rear tailgate struts (about $150 at Honda and $50 diy). When I had the timing belt and water pump replaced right before seven years (normal maintenance), the found that the water pump had a bad bearing. Honda paid for a new water pump and all the labor, saving about $500. Those were the only repairs so I lost money on Hondacare.

I figure that with all the electronics, safety devices, cvt, and turbo on my 2019 ex-l, the peace of mind is worth the money to buy Hondacare from Saccucci or one of the other online vendors when I get close to 36 months or 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 2019 with 1,270 miles on it and it is a CPO warrantied car. Supposedly it is a 7 year 100k power train plus I believe another year and 12k on bumper to bumper from Honda.
Does anyone have experience dealing with a claim on a CPO warranty after the factory time/miles has past? is it truly the same?

My issue with extended warranties is most people are financing them, unless you pay out of pocket separately and or paying cash for the car, you are paying interest on it as most people are tacking it on their car loan.
It is unlikely to ever need it to begin with so for me I would rather take the risk and in the event I have a $1000+ repair- absolute worst case scenario (If I did not want to pay cash) is to put it on a NO interest credit card which is still cheaper than the warranty. And there are reward perks/cash back with a lot of cards as well which makes it a better choice than cash if you pay it off before interest accrues.

And what they don't tell you in the F&I office is that a lot of times these warranties have a deductible or a co-pay for certain repairs and you will be getting re manufactured parts if anything needs replacing, whereas if you go it alone it is entirely in your control to choose what parts go on your car and what quality tech works on it.
But this is all hypothetical because like said before- 98% of people will never use an extended warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would have more "peace of mind" with that $2k in my savings account.
Last time I checked, Saccucci's Hondacare quote was $1,095 for a 0-deductiblan 120k plan that ends 6 years after the plan is purchased. If you buy it just before the manufacturer's warranty ends, that is nine years of coverage for $1,095.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Last time I checked, Saccucci's Hondacare quote was $1,095 for a 0-deductiblan 120k plan that ends 6 years after the plan is purchased. If you buy it just before the manufacturer's warranty ends, that is nine years of coverage for $1,095.
I was throwing out an arbitrary number.

Anyway, if it's $1,095 for 6 years of coverage, and extended warranties are significant profit centers for dealers, then logic should result in a conclusion here. It's your money, and I understand that some people are risk averse to the extent that reasoning goes out the door.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've said it before. Honda Extended Warranty = Throwing your money away.
I've been saying that for near 30 years of Honda. Indeed I've never taken an extended warranty on anything except my first iMac - and that was a waste of money.

But, in 2019 when I bought the Accord it came with a new transmission (CVT) type, turbo charger and a raft of complex electronics. So I added a +4 year. I had discussed this with my SO the result being: I have pretty good savings so one part of the argument was: "self insure, it'll probably be cheaper in the end."

But - It wasn't that much more v. the complexity of the new "stuff", so I bought the +4. First time ever. Sunk money so no looking back no matter what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But - It wasn't that much more v. the complexity of the new "stuff", so I bought the +4. First time ever. Sunk money so no looking back no matter what happens.
Amen. That's the idea behind homeowner's, flood, health, liability and every other kind of insurance. Then it becomes a decision about whether the small probability of a large expense outweighs the certainty of the premium.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
^
Health insurance? What's that? Ohhh.... America. How's that workin' out for ya? All of ya?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've seen other discussions attempt to find parallels between extended car warranties and life/health/home insurance, and I think it's a little misguided. I think of extended warranties for cars as a poor tax -- those that buy them are concerned they won't be able to afford later repairs, and those also happen to be the people that can afford extended warranties the least. Before anyone flips out, this is meant in GENERAL terms and I'm not making any inferences about your income, etc. In general terms, people buy extended warranties when they feel like they have to in order to avoid financial disaster...or at least that's when they SHOULD feel compelled to spend $1k+ that they will likely never see again.

Health insurance, life insurance, and home insurance are for irreplaceable (or at least very difficult to replace) assets. Most people would view losing their home to be a financial disaster. Similarly, losing your life and not providing for your family -- clearly a financial disaster. If you view replacing a transmission or a steering rack as a life altering disaster, you're probably driving too much car for your budget.

I know many people claim to also buy (or finance, worse still) extended warranties for their cars as a convenience -- a "just in case" because something bad can happen. That's fine, but others considering the same course of action should know that it's almost always a bad financial decision, which is why the warranties exist in the first place (big % profits for the dealer).

YMMV.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Having owned several Honda's (all of which except my current had over 150k), my largest repair bill to date was $190 for a clutch master cylinder. For what you're paying in the long run, I've never been able to justify purchasing an extended warranty. It may be piece of mind but by and large, the majority of people never capitalize on them which is why dealers and other organization offer them in the first place.

That being said, I have heard plenty of cases where they have been useful. A friend recently had the transmission and entire engine bottom end of her 2015 Ford Edge replaced due to a cracked flywheel at 50k miles. They had the car for a month and she had a rental the entire time. She had an extended warranty and paid nothing. She definitely got her money's worth.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts