Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
3m automotive tape across the whole spoiler. guaranteed you will not have problems. if anything, you will have a problem removing it when you want to.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
When you buy an OEM decklid spoiler, they are not attached by tape. Cheap aftermarket spoilers use the tape and you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you use the right tape, you won't have problems. I mounted mine with tape, I drove on the freeway from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back two times this summer (going 90+ mph some stretches), given the car multiple car washes, and the thing won't budge at all

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you use the right tape, you won't have problems. I mounted mine with tape, I drove on the freeway from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back two times this summer (going 90+ mph some stretches), given the car multiple car washes, and the thing won't budge at all
Where did you buy your decklid?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just did the OEM decklid spoiler today. Drilling the decklid is no big deal, and I feel MUCH better about having it bolted down.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
It's an OEM replica, I bought it off eBay seller carparts-123 for $109 shipped, painted, and pre-taped
I have had the same one on my car for close to two years, held on with 3m tape. No problems what so ever. Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.
Unnecessary rudeness.

Some people's comfort level with non-OEM stuff is different, that's all. If the full stick-on one works well, great. I just like having the piece of mind that comes from having that baby bolted down. There's no need to get surly over something as trivial as this. Save that for something serious, like which oil to use or what tire pressure to run.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
1. That wasn't directed to you.
2. Ever heard the phrase "Don't knock it till you tried it"?
3. It wasn't rude, it's just a good rule to live by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think that the weather will affect it? In the winter, not saying it will but possibly could that water could go under it and freeze or in the summer that heat during the day and cooling off at night could maybe do something?? Ehh

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Yes, weather does affected as I have used duct tape outdoors (pipe) and it comes off with extreme heat and cold.

Guys have told me that some Home Depot 3M tapes are as "stong as f&%^%." Their exact words.

So I guess that's more than strong.

They also said to get this. 3M adhesive promoter. I'm not sure where to get it locally (yet).

^^^ is expensive as f&^&^&*. $3-$4 each.

P.S. I guess anything strong does have a negative effect also. That I don't know. I guess, I would be happy if it sticks on like an emblem. Meaning I can remove it (or if it falls off) there is less-no paint damage.

Strong as f*&^&*^ may not be the way I'll go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
^Not the right tape to use to mount a decklid spoiler. It's the right brand, but you're gonna want 3M's VHB (Very high bond) tape, so make sure it says that on the package

Some pointers when installing a decklid spoiler with tape
-Prep the surface by stripping off the wax with rubbing alcohol
-Do it on a warm sunny day; you'll get the best results when the tape cures when it's at least 72 degrees

·
Registered
709 Posts
It's an OEM replica, I bought it off eBay seller carparts-123 for $109 shipped, painted, and pre-taped
Do you have a link? Ive wanted the decklid since forever now lol

Edit: Nvm found the ebay link, its between buying from them or thespoilercompany. How durable is yours? did it include instructions on how to install?

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
I bought mine from carparts-123. Great seller. I don't remember if it came with instructions or not but it did come pre-taped AND included hardware in case you wanted to drill it on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys I just bought mine yesterday and I want to install it but I'm just wondering about the durability of the tape to the heat because where I live in the summer it reaches to 60 Celsius about 140 Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey guys I just bought mine yesterday and I want to install it but I'm just wondering about the durability of the tape to the heat because where I live in the summer it reaches to 60 Celsius about 140 Fahrenheit?
Wow 140F? I thought that might've been a typo, but then I saw your location.

Assuming you have the correct tape (VHB), you should be fine. Here's what 3M has to say

Temperature Exposure
Because of the demanding and diverse applications users have for VHB™tapes, durability has always been a key interest in the performance of these products. One of the first issues for tapes is retention of tack and adhesion after exposure to elevated temperatures. The VHB™Adhesive Transfer Tape F-9473PC yielded 92% retention of peel adhesion after the roll was aged for more than 5 years at 150°F (65°C). The initial tack and liner release properties were still excellent. The difference in peel values suggests that a roll of this tape is relatively unaffected by long-term exposure to elevated temperatures. Bonds made with VHB™Tapes can tolerate periodic, short term exposures to temperatures up to 300°F (150°C) for most Foam Tapes and 500°F (260°C) for Adhesive Transfer Tapes.
Source: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt58T2o8z6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
The previous owner of my car had one installed by a body shop. I have the receipt and the instructions to install it that look like they're Honda instructions.

It uses 4 screws that go through the trunk lid and hold the spoiler on. It's just like the ones that came with it from the factory, 3rd brake light and everything, so I think he got it from Honda.

I'm at school and the receipts/instructions are at home. I'll try to post pictures if I remember next time I go home. I could get you guys a picture of the screw heads under the trunk lid if you want to know where they go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts