Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put from Park to Drive, it takes more than 2 seconds for the gear to engage. If I try to accelerate as soon as I shift the gear to D, I hear a clunk sound, like the gear kicking in. Otherwise the car runs cool, no slipping of gears nothing. Has anybody faced this. Please advice.

2006 Accord V4 LX
mileage : 53k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never changed the ATF, the service manual says to change it if driven in harsh conditions at 60k miles only. Mine is just 53k.

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
Most people don't follow the Honda recommendation. The transmission engages 3rd gear first and then first.

Search for a recent thread by user Mikecz. He explains the workings of the transmission on the V6 but the workings of the I4 transmission should be about the same.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If it really takes more than 2 seconds to engage from park to drive then it's time to repair your transmission. :(
D&R will not help in this case.

·
Mike
841 Posts
Are you telling the A/T of my car goes to 3rd gear and then to the first gear ?
The I4 only selects 1st gear. The V6 is different. Low fluid level can cause that sometimes - Check just in case.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This happens to me when I first start car after sitting over 8 hours. Not exactly 2 seconds, but there is a delay.

I also park car overnight on a slight incline. I suspect transmission fluid flows somewhere that doesn't immediately lubricate due to incline, and I just have to be easy on car until it does.

It's more noticeable during Winter time. Summer it's almost non-issue.

Mine is closing in on 106k miles. I did first DnR at 89k, and second I believe 3k miles ago. Fluid always looked pink, but I simply wanted to make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts