Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the lot yesterday and am considering an EXL, most likely in Black but possibly in the dark blue.

One of the things I thought looked a bit goofy was the single exhaust on the EXL, combined with the gigantic chrome exhaust tip. Just seemed weird to have an imbalance yet draw the eye to that one exhaust tip (why?)

Wondering if anyone else agreed and what they did about it? I looked and it appears one could just unbolt that chrome tip and leave it as a plain exhaust pipe. Or, would it make sense to pull off the tip and then paint it with black Rustoleum High Heat Grill Paint (1200 degrees), and re-install?

Other option would be to try to put in a dummy muffler and exhaust on the left side, but I think I read that requires welding and sh&t and therefore my paint idea is a heck of a lot easier :yes:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
A lot of people convert it to dual exhaust. Check out my magnaflow thread in my signature.

Someone used a stock exhaust to add the other exhaust. So if noise is a problem, stick with stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people convert it to dual exhaust. Check out my magnaflow thread in my signature.

Someone used a stock exhaust to add the other exhaust. So if noise is a problem, stick with stock.

I'm not doing it for any perceived performance improvements - my beef is all about the look.

And before someone comes in posting that I should buy the Sport (there seem to be lots of Sport lovers!), I want the leather and the other stuff that comes with it is fine too.

·
Dual exhaust I4 EX sedan
241 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm not doing it for any perceived performance improvements - my beef is all about the look.

And before someone comes in posting that I should buy the Sport (there seem to be lots of Sport lovers!), I want the leather and the other stuff that comes with it is fine too.
Then you can do the adding stock exhaust to the other side...

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then you can do the adding stock exhaust to the other side...

Do people ever just hang a muffler in there somehow even if it is not connected to the other pipe? I REALLY just want this for looks so I don't even care if there is just a muffler connected to nothing! Or does it look silly if you're idling and steam is coming out only one side but not the other?

Are any of these options DIY-able or do they all require welding? If the latter, then maybe I just black out the tip. Have you run across any pictures of someone who did that? It would introduce "symmetry" again but might take away from some of the look of the car. Does anyone black out that ghey chrome strip at the bottom of the rear bumper?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you want to add dual exhaust the fact that there is already a bumper cutout makes it even easier. Unfortunately it makes the single exhaust look that much worse. The OEM dual exhaust is two mufflers connected by a pipe, using it as a dummy muffler doesn't seem practical. In any case a hanger for the second exhaust would have to be welded on the car and the way the exhaust pipe supports the front of the muffler a dummy muffler would need additional support in front.

There was some speculation that a bumper trim with only one cutout might be made available. IMO upgrading to dual exhaust is well worth it. It can be done for around $500 installed custom or with OEM parts. The custom exhaust place I went to said they could create a quiet custom system if I wanted but I went with OEM.

For more info on dual exhaust check the threads linked above or search. For info on OEM dual exhaust check here.

·
Dual exhaust I4 EX sedan
241 Posts
If you buy a stock muffler like I did from someone on this forum and have a muffler shop guy hang it without tapping into your original pipe, believe me you can't tell (without lying on your back) its not a true dual exhaust setup. But my muff guy recommended to to the axle back Y pipe and it came out great. But if you just want looks, it looks like a stock dual exhaust system if you get another stock muffler.

The trick is to buy a drivers side muffler...like from a sport or a v6 model ....Because if you buy a passenger side one then you have to have the muffler guy cut then re-weld (or bend) the exhaust pipe (from the muffler) for the drivers (left side angle) for the finisher to look correct (balanced look).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Today I was at the dealer and saw this.

District 6-20131017-00150.jpg
District 6-20131017-00151.jpg

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
If I was in this situation I would add the 2nd muffler, but have it connected to a cat-bypass valve. MWUAHAHA!

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
If I was in this situation I would add the 2nd muffler, but have it connected to a cat-bypass valve. MWUAHAHA!
Now there's a smart idea...

You get the looks, and the performance benifit WHEN YOU NEED IT!

·
Registered
514 Posts
weeeeell, if you just want the look, buy an extra exhaust tip and mount a stub of pipe. You don't need an extra muffler to just show another exhaust tip...

You could probably go even cheaper and make it out of plastic (but then you risk it looking different. :nuts: )

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weeeeell, if you just want the look, buy an extra exhaust tip and mount a stub of pipe. You don't need an extra muffler to just show another exhaust tip...

You could probably go even cheaper and make it out of plastic (but then you risk it looking different. :nuts: )
Might look funny since you can see the muffler being there (or not).

I just didn't know if it was easy to hang the muffler and pipe myself.

I might check into what options there are for just deleting the chrome tip....either blacking it out or taking it off and having the bare pipe (and maybe blacking out the muffler and pipe.

How does one black out the muffler....just put some paper or cardboard up in there and then spray with FLAT (or satin?) rustoleum high heat grill paint?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts