Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my '07 Accord sedan to a place that had won awards in past years for best service in the area (it is a car wash & detail shop). I ordered a polish service, which involved applying the wax by hand and using an orbital buffer. After receiving my car back, I was not told of any issues.

Forward a couple of weeks later, I notice a set of "fingerprint" raised round indentations on my bumper (about 2 inches' worth). I spoke to my dad, who often waxes his own cars, and he concluded it was likely damaged by the orbital buffer.

Unfortunately I am learning this car wash seems to hide when any scent of a damage claim comes, at least with the following evidence:

1. No response from e-mail or phone calls
2. Credit card company tried calling twice and only got voicemail
3. Certified letter was not able to be delivered (it was raining that day so they may have been closed) and I'm not sure if they will respond to the delivery attempt notice
4. BBB gives them an F rating (half of the complaints through them were not responded to by the business)
5. One online review indicates someone's car was damaged during road paint removal and management was confrontational when the owner complained

Unfortunately, I was told by my credit card company I cannot dispute the charge because the service was performed, so I have no leverage like I had hoped.

I'm going to try the BBB and Attorney General, but I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me how easy (and expensive) a fix will be so I can decide if I need to try small claims court. If the fix isn't too complex I may just eat the cost myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You'll have to go to a few body shops and get quotes...

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
That paint is wrinkled from the use of a rotary buffer not an orbital. The paint got too hot and wrinkled....operator error likely caused by a wool pad, too high a speed on the buffer, and not moving the machine rapidly enough. I don't know of a repair other than repainting after proper preparation. Honda paint is "soft" and this is not all that uncommon. Proving they did it will be the tough part, try going there in person and pointing it out (in a civil manner) to the owner/manger. Good luck.

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
looks like you need to repaint it. i asume you in PA based on license plate reflectin in H emblem? where in PA

·
NHBP AV6 6SPD coupe
631 Posts
Who detailed if u don't mind me asking. Pm me if u don't want to publicly post it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i'm also curious who detailed the vehicle. I know it might seem bad to post the name publically but i would hope that people look at it from a perspective that would save others the pain and aggony of going to that shop and having their vehicles damaged.

Since that is on the bumper (plastic) anytime you take a buffer to it they should be constantly checking the temperature of the paint. Plastic warps/metls quickly as well as heats up fast/ It looks like maybe they left the buffer in one area to long and it just stareted to melt away the bumper. Hope you get it sorted out.

Talk to some attorneys who offer free consultation and ask them what legal standings you have right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm also curious who detailed the vehicle. I know it might seem bad to post the name publically but i would hope that people look at it from a perspective that would save others the pain and aggony of going to that shop and having their vehicles damaged.

Since that is on the bumper (plastic) anytime you take a buffer to it they should be constantly checking the temperature of the paint. Plastic warps/metls quickly as well as heats up fast/ It looks like maybe they left the buffer in one area to long and it just stareted to melt away the bumper. Hope you get it sorted out.

Talk to some attorneys who offer free consultation and ask them what legal standings you have right now.
Believe me I'd love to give out the name. However, I actually got a call from the same manager I mentioned earlier. He denied they used a buffer and said I waited to long to make my claim. He also threatened legal action because I withheld the charge. For that reason, I have decided not to disclose the name.

However, just make sure you check the BBB report on anybody you want to touch your car, even if it is just a local car wash. I made that mistake.

As for the repair, I had three body shops look at the damage. Two wanted to repaint the whole bumper for $500 to $600. The third wanted to just repair and repaint the affected area (blending in with the rest of the paint) for only $230. I could file an insurance claim but I'd still be out $300, so I will probably just eat the cost and do the cheap repair (it is a bumper, after all). I don't trust this guy one bit, and while I hate backing down, he does have my address, so the small claims court is probably out.

·
6,322 Posts
You can periodically check with your local dmv and make sure the detailer doesn't file a mechanic's lien against your car. That way theres no surprises down the road. Esp if the biz goes under. Much easier to deal with now versus 5 yrs + from now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can periodically check with your local dmv and make sure the detailer doesn't file a mechanic's lien against your car. That way theres no surprises down the road. Esp if the biz goes under. Much easier to deal with now versus 5 yrs + from now.
I'll check when my car is paid off next year. He does not have my full plate number or VIN anyway (guy entered only the plate digits in the computer).

·
Registered
190 Posts
any updates on this situation? the only way to obtain damage like that would be improper usage of a buffer . . . . . the paint looks like it's been tossed on one direction from something spinning such as a rotary buffer.

If you know it wasn't there prior to you taking it there i would press forward and go after them but that is just me. Also depending on the year of your vehicle they may not just be able to repair and paint the small spot on your bumper. If you want it to look and be done properly it will need to be repainted entirely blending it out to the surrounding areas

·
Greg
1,381 Posts
I have been in similar situations, one with repair work and one with a crappy job of tinting. I am guessing by the certified letter that was sent to them that you contacted the BBB. I love the BBB because they will fight on your behalf. Sadly, the damage doesn't seem like enough to take the time to take them to small claims court. By the time you get everything situated, take off work and go to court you will have a lot of time and money invested in this. I am guessing you would have a tough time on winning simply because of the time that passed between the detail and the complaint.

If you do fight it, good for you and I hope you win and ream some cash out of those bastards. There are plenty of bad businesses out there who can screw you over. That is why when I go to the place I make sure to tell them how good of a job they have done, how happy I am, and write a letter to the GM complimenting the appropriate party's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where place caused this? I'm also from the Main-Line and would like to know who to avoid.

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
Its really not worth it, and they know it sorry to say :(

Don't go to car washes that have a detail business attached. Its like going to a quick change oil place. These people do it for cheap and they try and do it as quickly as possible with less than qualified people. Its just not worth the risk if you love your car. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I'm not risking it on my car. They seem to be even more careless with non-luxury cars :(

Best bet is go to a detail forum and ask around for a local pro-detailer that is a member. Pay the money and get it done well. Then all you have to do is maintain the car yourself after he's done. It will cost more and it will take longer but it will be well worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts