Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Accord 2.4 EX-L
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! I wanted to share my plan for detailing the Accord in prep for college and while I’m away @ college! If anyone has any advice I’d love to hear!

Before I go, I’m gonna decontaminate with IronX Soap and also strip the wax with dish soap and a two-bucket wash. (Cleaning wheels and wheel wells too) Then I’ll clay bar the paint and glass and polish up a couple spots (under door handles) to get some scratches out. Finally I’m gonna seal the paint and wheels, and dress tires and black trim.
I’ll be bringing Waterless Wash/Wax, Waterless Wheel Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, and Tire Dressing to college to keep her nice on the weekends. I’ve also got a pack of good microfibers separated by use in bins.
Does this sound like a good plan?

·
Honda Enthusiast
I drive a BMW now. 🇩🇪
3,516 Posts
No. You cannot rub on your paint without a proper wash and not expect swirls.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. You cannot rub on your paint without a proper wash and not expect swirls.
Noted. The Waterless Wash is simply to remove light contaminants, like bird droppings, in between washes. I'll probably stop by a do-it-yourself carwash for the occasional wash with my own mitts.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
Do it once and then it will be easy in the future:

Reactions: 2007Accorddriver

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,465 Posts
I would not use dish soap on a car for any reason.

Waterless wash, and really any waterless product is a great idea at college. If you won't be parking in a garage most of the time, I'd also suggest protecting the headlights with a sealant as well, if they're clear and/or you're planning to restore them as part of prep.

As for advice... as a recent college grad, try not to obsess. Depending on your major and school/social life balance, you'll probably be pretty busy studying and/or out with friends in your free time. Also keep in mind that college campuses are full of other young (and inexperienced) drivers, and parking on campus is pretty much like parking in a grocery store lot. If you don't see any new scratches or dings, it's a good day. I'd also recommend finding nearby gas stations and choosing a nearby shop for repairs/maintenance, if needed.

If you don't mind me asking... what major will you be studying? (Another tip: get used to this question, since "state your name, major, and a fun fact about yourself" is perhaps the most common college icebreaker, lol).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not use dish soap on a car for any reason.

Waterless wash, and really any waterless product is a great idea at college. If you won't be parking in a garage most of the time, I'd also suggest protecting the headlights with a sealant as well, if they're clear and/or you're planning to restore them as part of prep.

As for advice... as a recent college grad, try not to obsess. Depending on your major and school/social life balance, you'll probably be pretty busy studying and/or out with friends in your free time. Also keep in mind that college campuses are full of other young (and inexperienced) drivers, and parking on campus is pretty much like parking in a grocery store lot. If you don't see any new scratches or dings, it's a good day. I'd also recommend finding nearby gas stations and choosing a nearby shop for repairs/maintenance, if needed.

If you don't mind me asking... what major will you be studying? (Another tip: get used to this question, since "state your name, major, and a fun fact about yourself" is perhaps the most common college icebreaker, lol).
Thanks for the reply! I’ll be lucky enough to still be in a parking garage. I’ve got some neutral soap, but I figured it wouldn’t strip the wax. I’m going into my junior year at Quinnipiac University studying international business, German, and finance!

·
Retired from BMW of NA
7,326 Posts
Learn to do a rinseless wash… It’s perfect for doing a cleaning without a hose like when you’re at school.This is different than a waterless wash and safer for the paint. Google “Gary Dean rinseless wash method” on you tube… he’s the first guy to do you tubes on the method. You can use the waterless wash one you have, it’s just a different way to use it. Buy a waffle weave drying towel in addition to the towels you have…..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learn to do a rinseless wash… It’s perfect for doing a cleaning without a hose like when you’re at school.This is different than a waterless wash and safer for the paint. Google “Gary Dean rinseless wash method” on you tube… he’s the first guy to do you tubes on the method. You can use the waterless wash one you have, it’s just a different way to use it. Buy a waffle weave drying towel in addition to the towels you have…..
Thanks for the tip! With my waterless wash I've learned to spray a little AMMO Hydrate on the towel and then mist the panel with the waterless wash.. it's sooo slick. But you're right, it's only good for that light dirt. Any brand you recommend?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carpro Ech20 is a great rinseless/waterless product. I mix 1.5 oz in a bucket with a few gals of water for my rinseless washes…..
CarPro makes great stuff.. have you tried Hydro2 Sealant? Love that stuff. Thanks for the tip! debating whether I just keep a couple buckets and neutral soap and then just use the do-it-yourself carwash's water on weekends. It'll be a good way to relax from school anyways lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts