Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Accord with 153,000 miles, bought used around 5 months ago. So far so good (knock on wood), in that no engine or tranny issues. The previous owner took good care of the car as the tranny fluid is still reddish and there is a Jiffy Lube sticker on the windshield to change the oil at 153,000miles.

I plan to change the tranny fluid soon. I have some Dextron ATF fluid lying around for 15 years unopened. Is it OK to use this to save a few bucks? I know Honda says you can use it but does not recommend it.

Thing is, really don't want to do anything to have the car act up.

Also a related question: what oil should I use on a car like this with high mileage and want it to continue to last? Full synthetic? What weight??? As you can imagine, there is a bit of oil leakage on the engine, e.g. oil pan coated with oil, etc., however no loss of oil during changes and no major oil spots under the car when parked overnight.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Trans:

You've kind of answered your own question. :)

Dexron III should only be used in an Accord trans in an emergency, temporarily. Otherwise, you should use DW-1. Do not flush the fluid either - make sure it is a drain and fill only.

Engine Oil:

At that mileage, reg vs syn won't make much difference. If the car is burning oil, you may try a slightly thicker oil, but otherwise, I would stick with the factory recommendations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just changed mine with 5 Drain and refills with Valvoline maxlife. Bought it at walmart for $17.00 a gallon. Tranny shifts smooth and firm.

·
2007 Accord EX-L 4D 5MT
189 Posts
You are just asking for trouble using 15 year old fluid of any type in anything. Especially in an Accord auto trans, which are notoriously picky and prone to dying before 200k under the best of circumstances.

Get fresh fluid, spend the $25-50 for good stuff or you WILL be spending $1500-2000 for a transmission rebuild within a year or two. You might be anyway, strictly based on the miles on it already.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are just asking for trouble using 15 year old fluid of any type in anything. Especially in an Accord auto trans, which are notoriously picky and prone to dying before 200k under the best of circumstances.

Get fresh fluid, spend the $25-50 for good stuff or you WILL be spending $1500-2000 for a transmission rebuild within a year or two. You might be anyway, strictly based on the miles on it already.
:thmsup::thmsup::thmsup::thmsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Recently bought a 99 Accord, the last owner thought he was doing a good thing by changing the ATF at a local non-Honda dealer. After a couple of weeks the tranny started jerking when shifting gears, so I found out through this forum about previous issues, I ordered 3 qts of Honda ATF, drained existing fluid, retopped off w 3 qts of Honda ATF, and problem is gone. BTW SES light had come on with code for Torque Converter, TCC. After problem was gone, I reset SES light by pulling Clock Backup fuse on Rt side of Glove Box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts