Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Honda Accord 4cyl Coupe.

I've been getting an intermittent flutter noise once I pick up speed that sounds most like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle tire. I was able to replicate it for the mechanic but he couldn't find the source of the issue when he checked it out.

Now when I go over speed bumps there is a lone thunk sound. I have to be going about 10 mph over the bump to get it if I'm crawling it won't do it. Don't know if the sounds are related but it doesn't seem coincidental.

I've checked the sway bar links since I heard they fit this description when they start to wear but they look fine. What else might be causing this?

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
worn out springs/shocks causing bottoming out on bump stops because you drive too fast over speed bumps, broken end-link(s), thumb tack in tire tread, radio is set at too low of a volume, atmospheric phenomena, flux capacitor, black pearl running aground...hard to tell.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
^ web slinger bouncing around in the trunk ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, I keep my web slingers in the median console for easy access and some old guy with white hair jacked my flux capacitor. Gotta be something else.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Nah, I keep my web slingers in the median console for easy access and some old guy with white hair jacked my flux capacitor. Gotta be something else.
worn out springs/shocks causing bottoming out on bump stops because you drive too fast over speed bumps, broken end-link(s), thumb tack in tire tread, radio is set at too low of a volume, atmospheric phenomena, flux capacitor, black pearl running aground...hard to tell.
I'd look into Jim's two insightful suggestions first there mate before disregarding the post entirely. Blown suspension bits could very well be said culprit ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd look into Jim's two insightful suggestions first there mate before disregarding the post entirely. Blown suspension bits could very well be said culprit ...
I didn't mean to imply that I was disregarding the post entirely, just trying to get in on the fun you guys were having. I mentioned in my original post that I don't think it's the end links but I will look further into the suspension.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that I was disregarding the post entirely, just trying to get in on the fun you guys were having. I mentioned in my original post that I don't think it's the end links but I will look further into the suspension.
My two cents for what it's worth mate ?

Check your spring/strut first - if you're getting the "thunk" when hitting the speed bump at 10 mph (BTW - be a little nicer to your whip man, Betty is shaking her fist at you) it's probably hitting the bump stop.

I would think the end link would thunk when turning versus going over a speed bump at reckless abandon ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My two cents for what it's worth mate ?

Check your spring/strut first - if you're getting the "thunk" when hitting the speed bump at 10 mph (BTW - be a little nicer to your whip man, Betty is shaking her fist at you) it's probably hitting the bump stop.
Your two cents is what I came here for :)

You guys are probably right about the thunk sound, but what about the fluttering noise? I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar noise while driving. I know it could be a number of things.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The thumb tack (or little tiny pebble) in a tire isn't a bad guess for a playing-card-in-spokes sound. Have you checked?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fluttering is not a sound found in cars; in poor mechanical condition or not.
try again.
Don't know what you mean by try again.

The thumb tack (or little tiny pebble) in a tire isn't a bad guess for a playing-card-in-spokes sound. Have you checked?
The tires don't have anything in them that as far as I can tell. I've spent a good deal of time examining them over the past 24 hours and haven't found anything yet.

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
I mean you need to get a lot more descriptive than a sound very few people have ever even heard of (fluttering). Get specific, bub. If you can't, it's time to mount a audio recording device under the car closest to where the sound is coming from and start uploading sound clips so people can diagnose your sound over the interweb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts