Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface:

Vacationed/drove a lot in the last couple months and got way behind on changing my oil. I usually try to do it between 15% to 5% but got very behind this time and was at -600 miles on the oil gauge. I was too stubborn and wanted to wait until I got home.

Today:

Took the car (2010 i4 coupe; 105k miles) to the dealer for an oil change and their maintenance inspection found a whole lot of stuff wrong. It's usually nothing found or they'll just recommend a filter change or brake pads in the near future, etc.

- Did I ruin the car and drive too many miles on low oil?

- Is it safe to drive? Anything that looks to be of imminent concern?

- What should I do from here?

·
MT or death
338 Posts
None of that is related to letting the oil go too long. Your car is just getting old. Since it's out of warranty, I wouldn't have the dealer do any of that--I'd take it to an independent and have them check if all that is needed. They'll be cheaper, too.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Sounds like years of neglect, not just 600 miles. Things you're not leaking would be a shorter list. You have to sort out the leaks first. You simply cannot be driving that car around in that condition. Suppose you stopped at a red light for a few minutes and left a small puddle there. You drove off but the first guy who steps in your mess will have a bad day. That's a party fault. That's a black flag on track. Don't be that guy.

Monitor the levels, add fluid to buy yourself time, and get them taken care of beginning with the most severe leak first.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
While it’s likely that OP has neglected to maintain the car, it’s unlikely that there’s that many things leaking concurrently at the same time for any car at 100k IMO, much less an Accord. Unless, of course, it had been going on for a while and for some reason OP decided to push things back. Personally, I’d do the items that I KNOW are needed AND haven’t been done first. You should have an idea when the last time the brake fluid or trans fluid was changed. If they are overdue, get them done.

The rest, again, if none of the rest was reported before, I’d take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. If there’s similar report, then OP probably would want to tackle some of these items (if mechanically inclined to) or do it in order of importance (e.g. is it going to affect the safety) if doing everything all at once is financially not feasible. Chances are, your bill will be much lower at an independent shop even if most or all of the items on the list are found to be needing serviced.

Reactions: bduede
18 Posts
I went to the dealership today for transmission service. They told me my brake fluid was low and they offered to top it off for $119. I told them no and that I’ve got a bottle of brake fluid at home. Checked the fluid level and it’s at the very top. WTH were they on about? They also found a taillight burned out. Offered to do it for $19. No again. Hit autozone for some bulbs. $8 and 5 mins later the taillights are good.

Long story short, I don’t trust the dealership with my car since it’s outside of warranty. Heck, I might just get the ATF and do the transmission myself next time. It’d save me $152.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dealers always try to rip you off. You can do most of these things yourself and they're such bullshit for saying they're this expensive. However you need to at least do brakes and alignment. TBH YOU ARE QUITE A NITWIT FOR NEGLECTING THIS VEHICLE.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've only gotten oil changes at the dealer and they run a multi-point inspection as part of the service. It was usually every several months, but since the pandemic I have been working at home and thus having shorter commutes and driving less. Some days no driving at all. I think the last oil change/inspection was last summer. I know I got behind on the oil change and also probably thus fluid levels. I don't know the levels myself and have only known if the mechanic points it out during an oil change/inspection. I also park outside 24/7 and live in a hot climate. It was definitely the longest I'd ever gone in between inspections.

I don't recall anything unusual mentioned the last time, but I could be wrong.

·
Turbo lag
1,385 Posts
No, you didn't ruin your car. But at this age, these are some maintained items you need to take care of. Like others have said, maybe seek out an independent mechanic to reduce the cost. I replaced both lower control arms last year since the bushings were on their way out. I have also replaced the oil filter housing gasket. The two gaskets were like $10 from Honda and it was a 15 minute job. There were only three bolts to remove.

Reactions: enne

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have no idea how to address this to any mechanic or what to ask. It makes me nervous to basically say, "have a look" to see if anything's wrong.

At least one comment is saying it is not in a condition to drive and that is scaring me. My car is 100% paid off and I don't have much money to put towards repairs right now.

Does anything stick out as "needs to be fixed ASAP" before others?

How do you ask these things without framing in a way to invite being ripped off?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,890 Posts
I actually have no idea how to address this to any mechanic or what to ask. It makes me nervous to basically say, "have a look" to see if anything's wrong.

How do you ask these things without framing in a way to invite being ripped off?
1) Bring a friend with you to a good independent mechanic (Don't know one? Ask friends/family members if they have a recommendation or check Yelp)
2) Tell mechanic you are interested in purchasing this car from this person and would like the mechanic to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection to make sure everything is okay.
3) Have mechanic look over vehicle and provide you with a report/list of any issues that should be addressed.
4) Pay mechanic ($100?)
5) Come back and tell us what mechanic found.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
395 Posts
To piggy back what emeron said, if you're leaving puddles behind, that's probably where to start. Take a look at where you usually park and also underneath the car with a flashlight to see if there is any evidence of the problems that were listed.

Your car might be unsafe or it could be a dealership trying to take advantage of you or a little bit of both. I also second the already mentioned idea to take it to an independent mechanic (or even another dealer) to get a second opinion. Look for reviews online. If none of your friends are mechanics, maybe one of them might know or be able to recommend one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's pretty clever to go with a friend for an inspection. I haven't noticed any leaking (puddles) and don't hear any rattling/shaking. Also didn't see any other engine lights than the yellow wrench which was on because the oil gauge was below 0% and got down to -600, as mentioned.

Just a few days ago I did hear what sounded like a quick snap or otherwise kind of startled me while I was driving and it lasted about a second. Didn't hear it again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
All the information on here is solid for the original poster. Oil spills are especially dangerous for us motorcycle riders too.

Get a fairly large cardboard piece you can spread out under the front of the vehicle. Drive your vehicle normally and park over this. When you drive next, inspect how many different leaks and how major/minor they are. If there are only drops over night then at least there are no major leaks.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion. Always busy independent shops are best. They are too busy to waste time and find work when already backed up with customers vehicles. I doubt both your power steering pump and rack leaking but it is possible.

More like your power steering line is leaking and dripping fluid on the rack is my guess.

Reactions: Samuelx

·
VCM DELETE
789 Posts
I had an issue with the power steering rack leaking on our '08 LX-P. It was a huge ordeal as right after we bought the car (Literally 2 days later) there was fluid all over our garage floor. Not a good way to start with a 1 year old 8th gen (at the time it was 2009)
We went to the dealer who told us the whole steering rack was leaking to a tune of like 2000$. Obviously since it was CPO Honda paid the bill.

Now the funny thing was, Honda Corporate called us and wanted to know if we thought it was leaking when we purchased the car, which we seemed to think it did. They thanked us for letting them know and that was that.
But then the dealership called us a day later and was like "Why did you tell Honda Corporate that?" Like we got them in trouble or something?
The dealer was quite upset saying something about how they "wont get paid as much now" ???

Regardless we had the dealer put a new steering rack in, then never ever went back to them. Shady AF dealer. We were thinking they didn't want to fix it at 1st....then have someone purchase then they could fix under warranty and get paid for doing it. (if that makes sense)

Incase you all were wondering it was Sunnyside Honda In Middleburg Heights OH. I have no problems blowing them in. They suck.

In your specific case, I would fix the leaks 1st. Fluid changes take to an indy shop that will do it for half the price of what the dealer is charging.
FYI, the steering rack replace for 1822+ Tax is pretty close to what our warranty paid out when ours was done. If that resivor runs dry, you'll be in trouble. That's the only real alarming thing on the report. Compliance bushings always break with age. You car is older now, so expect maint needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ugh, I don't have $1000+ in disposable funds right now for repairs. Would getting the fluid levels filled at least be a good start?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
^What @namegoeshere said..
The worry that goes along with a big bill from the dealer is worth it if it goes away, and the independent guy says, "yeah, you got a small leak in the rack, but watch the fluid and you'll be fine".
You pay him and he saves you $2,000...pretty good return on $100-150 bucks spent, I'd say.
That steering rack is the biggest labor part of that bill....even the PS pump is easy to change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My suggestion is that you first poll your friends, online FB or something similar, and get recommendations of independent repair shops where you live. And for me, I would take that list in with you and tell them straight up - I need to safely drive my car, please review this list and help me make smart decisions so that I can conquer this list one item at a time, over a period of time, while I safely drive. A good facility will help you, not try to rip you off. And if you happen to be close to Atlanta GA, I can point you to that shop. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts