Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today was a warm day to do some needed car maintenance. I ordered a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt and 3 quarts of Red Line MTL from Summit Racing Monday and that came in yesterday. Just a little side note, they have the cheapest shipping for the Red Line MTL ($9.99) out of all the sites I checked. Also I picked up a 5 qt. jug of Mobil1 5W-20 fully synthetic motor oil and a Mobil1 M1-110 oil filter from Auto Zone. They had a deal going on for all that for $29.99, so I took advantage of it.

I started off replacing the serpentine belt, which took me about 20 minutes to do with the help of my grandpa. I started from the bottom up, and it was a little tricky keeping the belt around the crankshaft and A/C pulleys at the same time, but I got it on. The tensioner had a lot of resistance, so I attached a 3 foot long pipe to the end of my ratchet so I'd be able to use less force to move it. In all, it worked out well.

Now where the real problem came in is when I went to change my oil. I started off changing my oil like I always do: put the car on jack stands, get a drain pan under the oil pan, and take the drain bolt off and let the oil drain into the pan. I did exactly that, but when I put the bolt back on, it wouldn't tighten snugly. Well, come to find out, part of the thread on the pan was stripped. I was able to hand tighten it, but if I tightened it too much more with the ratchet, it would come loose. So, my grandpa put some Teflon tape around the thread on the bolt to make it fit a little more snugly, and then I just put the old oil back in my car until I fix the thread.

I didn't leak any oil on the ride back home, but I'm scared the bolt might blow out. On the way home, I stopped at Advance Auto Parts and bought an oversized oil pan drain bolt that starts off small in the front and gets bigger in the back, so it should tap a new thread hopefully. After I put it in, I'll put in the fresh oil.

As far as the manual transmission fluid change goes, I didn't do it today. I was already fed up with the oil pan problem. I looked at the transmission fill bolt, and I've never seen a bolt like that. It's a square hole! What am I supposed to put there to loosen it? I put my ratchet extension on it and it look likes it fits, but I think I'm going to have to take off my stock intake to reach it. And to be honest, I might take my car to an oil change shop to get them to change my transmission fluid with the Red Line MTL I bought.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experiences with my maintenance. If I had anything to say, I'd say that whenever I fix something, it seems like other stuff starts to break. Bummer. I guess that's just my luck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Well, today was a warm day to do some needed car maintenance. I ordered a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt and 3 quarts of Red Line MTL from Summit Racing Monday and that came in yesterday. Just a little side note, they have the cheapest shipping for the Red Line MTL ($9.99) out of all the sites I checked. Also I picked up a 5 qt. jug of Mobil1 5W-20 fully synthetic motor oil and a Mobil1 M1-110 oil filter from Auto Zone. They had a deal going on for all that for $29.99, so I took advantage of it.

I started off replacing the serpentine belt, which took me about 20 minutes to do with the help of my grandpa. I started from the bottom up, and it was a little tricky keeping the belt around the crankshaft and A/C pulleys at the same time, but I got it on. The tensioner had a lot of resistance, so I attached a 3 foot long pipe to the end of my ratchet so I'd be able to use less force to move it. In all, it worked out well.

Now where the real problem came in is when I went to change my oil. I started off changing my oil like I always do: put the car on jack stands, get a drain pan under the oil pan, and take the drain bolt off and let the oil drain into the pan. I did exactly that, but when I put the bolt back on, it wouldn't tighten snugly. Well, come to find out, part of the thread on the pan was stripped. I was able to hand tighten it, but if I tightened it too much more with the ratchet, it would come loose. So, my grandpa put some Teflon tape around the thread on the bolt to make it fit a little more snugly, and then I just put the old oil back in my car until I fix the thread.

I didn't leak any oil on the ride back home, but I'm scared the bolt might blow out. On the way home, I stopped at Advance Auto Parts and bought an oversized oil pan drain bolt that starts off small in the front and gets bigger in the back, so it should tap a new thread hopefully. After I put it in, I'll put in the fresh oil.

As far as the manual transmission fluid change goes, I didn't do it today. I was already fed up with the oil pan problem. I looked at the transmission fill bolt, and I've never seen a bolt like that. It's a square hole! What am I supposed to put there to loosen it? I put my ratchet extension on it and it look likes it fits, but I think I'm going to have to take off my stock intake to reach it. And to be honest, I might take my car to an oil change shop to get them to change my transmission fluid with the Red Line MTL I bought.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experiences with my maintenance. If I had anything to say, I'd say that whenever I fix something, it seems like other stuff starts to break. Bummer. I guess that's just my luck.
For the transmission, you need to use a 3/8" drive ratchet without any socket and use that to remove the bolt hence why it is square.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Make sure you can get the fill bolt out first before you get the drain bolt. You need a long ass extension for the fill bolt. I used about 2-3 foot worth? Same size 3/8. The bottom drain is also 3/8 you might need a cheater bar. I just did mine this week. not bad. Just make sure the car is level while draining. And just put in 2.3 qt back or you can use the bolt on top of that n fill until it leaks out of the top bolt. your choice.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
^ +1

And yea, you have to take the air filter box out to get to it. It's only like 4 bolts if I remember right to take it out -- it's pretty easy, but you'll need a LONG ratchet extention to get down to it. I want to say I used a 10" extension to do it, and can't remember if I also used my 4" coupled together. then you'll need a funnel with a long tube to get down to the fill hole, no way you're getting a bottle down in there.

It's a simple operation, just a little more effort than an oil change.

Though, for $10/bottle for the Red Line, I'd have spent a couple more $ and got the GMSFM stuff that's tried and true.

Good luck man.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Summit Racing sells Red Line MTL for $13.49 a quart with $9.99 flat rate shipping, but Red Line's website wants more for shipping. As far as rethreading the plug hole, like I said in my first post, I bought an oversized plug that's meant for stripped holes and will rethread it.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
Oh. Hm, make sure to post later about how that redline works for you after a little winter driving.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
should have asked me I have link with amazon. 12 a bottle with free shipping from amazon with purchase of 25 of more. Free 2 day if you have prime.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh. Hm, make sure to post later about how that redline works for you after a little winter driving.
Will do. It doesn't get too cold down here in Biloxi, MS. I think the lowest we've had this winter is like 28 degrees a couple days ago.

should have asked me I have link with amazon. 12 a bottle with free shipping from amazon with purchase of 25 of more. Free 2 day if you have prime.
Damn. That blows. Well, either way, I got the product. I'll try to change the fluids tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yeah I swapped out from redline after 15k since it was having issue with 2nd gear popping out or not going it at all when it was 30-40*F outside. Its cold visco was just way to high. I am going to see how the amsoil works out. If not I think it is the solid shifter bushing I put in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts