Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just doing my second ATF fluid exchange and the drainplug was on so tight that when I tried to take it off with my naked 3/8" ratchet it warped and bent the hole for the ratchet. You would think the bolt would be rated higher than the locking washer. Maybe I torqued it too much when I reinstalled before.

OK, so after this happened I took it to the dealer and put up the bones for a trans service there hoping they would put in a new drain plug and since I don't have the tools/skill/patience to remove a broken bolt. I mentioned to the tech that I messed up the bolt while trying to do it myself and he said it shouldn't be a problem. So after further inspection a few days later the same drain bolt is still on there. Is there anyway to do a trans service by any other method than a drain and fill? I feel like I have been royally hosed by the dealer and they didn't even do the service. I will contact them tomorrow and see if they can explain this.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
what does trans service even mean?

Look at your receipt, it should say exactly what was done and what parts were used (i.e. how many bottles of ATF, crush washer, etc.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trans service = automatic transmission service "inspect shift points drain fluid and inspect/refill run trans through all gears and reinspect"

parts listed where (1) trans kit (4) fluid AT and (1) washer

It just seems like they didn't do the drain and refill part or they reused the old damaged drain plug. What is shown on the receipt does not reflect what is done on the car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We get some pretty butched trans plugs out and re-use them. Most people don't have the square drive in far enough and round out the plug. If you tap the ratchet in all the way usually they come out. If you wrecked the plug chances are it was the end and there is still useable area for removal.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,510 Posts
It's best to use a breaker-bar, so you can tap the drive all the way in, if you have to. You don't want to hit on a ratchet too much. Trying to use only the part of the drive outside the little ball is not usually going to be enough. If you wanted them to change the plug, you should have specified, because they will not assume anything. The "transmission service kit" probably included the fluid, washer, and who knows what else?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point on specifying, and thanks for all the tips. I will keep them in mind for the next time I do this service. Probably in 15k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts