Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BringTheIntegraBack
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have been reading these forums for a while and loving it. Waiting for CA dealers to get V6 MT EXLs in stock before taking the plunge. (Haven't seen any in inventory yet on Edmunds search.) You can see from my sig that my car needs an upgrade!

Forgive the stupid question but could someone please help me understand what is a coilover? I ask because there are folks on the forum who have HFP suspensions in their current "have" list but "want" coilovers. I am confused because I thought that even the HFP suspension parts have coil springs. What is different about coilovers? I would value your advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Coil-over = Coil spring over struts, with varying degrees of adjustable damping rate and height.

HFP = Fixed rate fixed height coil-over.

People with HFP "wanting" Coilovers because they are not happy with 1" drop by HFP kit and want to drop it lower, and perhaps the ability to adjust damping rate.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Hi all!

I have been reading these forums for a while and loving it. Waiting for CA dealers to get V6 MT EXLs in stock before taking the plunge. (Haven't seen any in inventory yet on Edmunds search.) You can see from my sig that my car needs an upgrade!
Go for 1 million miles.

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
Coil-over = Coil spring over struts, with varying degrees of adjustable damping rate and height.

People with HFP "wanting" Coilovers because they are not happy with 1" drop by HFP kit and want to drop it lower, and perhaps the ability to adjust damping rate.
Not all coilovers have adjustable dampening btw.

·
BringTheIntegraBack
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you Ice! That made it perfectly clear! I love this forum!

holy crap 550k miles?!
Yup! 550K miles, and the kid has placed his eyes on my car now that he has his learner's permit.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Yup, pretty much covered. Most get coilovers vs HFP due to having full control of the ride height (on most, some have less of a range in height adjustment than others) and to have some controls on how hard/soft the ride is (all models currently except the Tein Basics).

Let us know if you have any ?'s :)

·
BringTheIntegraBack
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go for 1 million miles.
I would dream of reaching half-million and finally made it there. 1 million seems the next logical dream, but I don't think it is a wise choice. The car already needs a bunch of work, all undercarriage related, like trailing arm bushings, CV joints, shocks/struts. And it is beginning to burn a quart of oil every thousand miles which means new rings also. All that money will be more than a good down payment on a new Accord, no?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Yes, tough decision, although I think few would doubt you have more than got your moneys worth out of the integra. Might be a nice pass it down, get something new and nicer for yourself and have a father/son project on maintenance to the integra. Especially since you've driven it for that long, I think you've earned yourself a new car. Very few of us go that long on one car.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
yes, tough decision, although i think few would doubt you have more than got your moneys worth out of the integra. Might be a nice pass it down, get something new and nicer for yourself and have a father/son project on maintenance to the integra. Especially since you've driven it for that long, i think you've earned yourself a new car. Very few of us go that long on one car.
+1..

·
BringTheIntegraBack
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, tough decision, although I think few would doubt you have more than got your moneys worth out of the integra. Might be a nice pass it down, get something new and nicer for yourself and have a father/son project on maintenance to the integra. Especially since you've driven it for that long, I think you've earned yourself a new car. Very few of us go that long on one car.
Actually, over the years, I've put more than the Integra's original worth back into her! But it has been one incredible experience. She still can gobble uninitiated Mustang drivers for lunch. Of course, they eventually floor it on open straightaways and run away. Then, I secretly think, wait until my coil-overed 6-6 Accord arrives! Although I suspect that, even with twice the power, the Accord coupe will never be as nimble as the Integra. Those were different days in car-building. We didn't need no stinkin' airbags that weighed the car down. Heck, some of us even got rid of the seats! Oh, and the nitrous boys got all the rest of us a bad name. Every Integra became inherently suspect.

Sorry, I did not mean to take over a DA thread to talk about an old car. I guess my heart is in a different place. Hope to get an Accord soon, and join you all in additional discussions. In the meantime, I'll just read and dream some more.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Actually, over the years, I've put more than the Integra's original worth back into her! But it has been one incredible experience. She still can gobble uninitiated Mustang drivers for lunch. Of course, they eventually floor it on open straightaways and run away. Then, I secretly think, wait until my coil-overed 6-6 Accord arrives! Although I suspect that, even with twice the power, the Accord coupe will never be as nimble as the Integra. Those were different days in car-building. We didn't need no stinkin' airbags that weighed the car down. Heck, some of us even got rid of the seats! Oh, and the nitrous boys got all the rest of us a bad name. Every Integra became inherently suspect.

Sorry, I did not mean to take over a DA thread to talk about an old car. I guess my heart is in a different place. Hope to get an Accord soon, and join you all in additional discussions. In the meantime, I'll just read and dream some more.
It is indeed very rare to see an unmodified Integra. It's obvious you have taken good care of her. Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts