Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2013 Accord Sport 6mt 2.4 and noticed that there are two different models (CVT/MT) for the alternator. I just wanted to inform everyone that you can put a CVT Alternator on a manual car, but not vice versa. The Manual Alternator is rated at 110 amps and the CVT alternator is rated at 125 amps. Everything else on the alternators is identical. Obviously the CVT requires more amperage due to its additional electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guy quick question, can someone explain to me why there are 2 different alternators for a 2015 sport. Its my sisters car and she needs the alternator replaced, everywhere we look online it is showing an alternator for the M/T and one for CVT? Can someone please explain? In all my years working on cars i have never seen the type of transmission a car has, affect the type of alternator it needs??? The reason i ask is because the CVT alternator is about 100 bucks more than the manual.

But seriously if this is the case, why the hell would honda make 2 different alternators for the same car???

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hey guy quick question, can someone explain to me why there are 2 different alternators for a 2015 sport. Its my sisters car and she needs the alternator replaced, everywhere we look online it is showing an alternator for the M/T and one for CVT? Can someone please explain? In all my years working on cars i have never seen the type of transmission a car has, affect the type of alternator it needs??? The reason i ask is because the CVT alternator is about 100 bucks more than the manual.

But seriously if this is the case, why the hell would honda make 2 different alternators for the same car???

You are completely right, there is absolutely no reason any car manufacturer would make 2 different alternators for the same car whatsoever, no exceptions, period.

What you are looking at are 2 different cars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

You must have missed post # 1 in this thread, where mike 7311 said "The Manual Alternator is rated at 110 amps and the CVT alternator is rated at 125 amps. Everything else on the alternators is identical. Obviously the CVT requires more amperage due to its additional electronics."

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ok, cereal time. "Why CVT model is equipped with a 125A alternator while manual model comes with a 110A" Here we go:

While I am not in a position to disagree with the "CVT requires more amperage due to its additional electronics" supposition, I would like to present one other hypothesis of my humble self. Before we come to that, let us understand that alternators produce their nominal amperage at high high RPMs. For example: if an alternator is sold as 125A, it generates that many amperes at 5000~6000 RPM. See below chart. Alternators produce considerably less current at cruising RPMs, and I do not know too many people who commute at WOT all the time.

I posit that cars equipped with CVT run at lower RPMs than those with manual transmissions; therefore to have the same current, they need alternators with greater nominal amperage. Discuss among yourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
You must have missed post # 1 in this thread, where mike 7311 said "The Manual Alternator is rated at 110 amps and the CVT alternator is rated at 125 amps. Everything else on the alternators is identical. Obviously the CVT requires more amperage due to its additional electronics."
I noticed that the OP posted his own stand alone thread and then a moderator attached his post to this much older thread. I don't think the OP would have seen the older posts unless he came back after the fact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts