Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has tuned with just using 87 octane and were there any hp/tq gains? With and without aftermarket parts? Just curious to see what the difference would be between 87, 89, 91, and 93 octanes.

I was thinking about getting my car tuned, but on 87 octane. Reason being, I just sold my EVO and with multiple fillups a week; i would like to try to cut cost on fuel. Would tuning on 87 be beneficial?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey,

I just picked up Hondata for my 2013 2d v6 6mt. I first flashed the Hondata calibration for stock vehicles on 87 and although I didn't feel any power gains, the throttle response and overall smoothness was noticeably better than stock tune throughout the powerband.

As a bonus you get to play with other settings like rev hang, o2 sensors, etc.

I am now running the base calibration for cai, hfpc, jpipe and 91 octane and the performance is already a huge step up. Currently in line for Vit's custom tune so will keep you posted.

Hondata isn't cheap so it's up to you to decide how far you want to go with your calibrations/tunes.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has tuned with just using 87 octane and were there any hp/tq gains? With and without aftermarket parts? Just curious to see what the difference would be between 87, 89, 91, and 93 octanes.

I was thinking about getting my car tuned, but on 87 octane. Reason being, I just sold my EVO and with multiple fillups a week; i would like to try to cut cost on fuel. Would tuning on 87 be beneficial?

Thanks
A. If you tune on 87-octane you probably won’t see any power gains. Most of the gains come from advancing the ignition timing, which you really can’t do on 87-octane. Fine tuning A/F ratios might help a little, but not much. However as Congeewong stated, you can adjust rev hang and throttle delay for smoother throttle response. But I wouldn’t think there is much benefit to any tune on 87-octane. Spend the money on lightweight wheels and tires. But then again if you want to cut costs on fuel, why spend ANY money on modifications?

B. Multiple fill-ups a week? How many miles do you drive?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, i figured. Just wondering if anyone has done it here on the forums. I am looking in getting my car on the dyno to get a baseline.

Yea, I think the adjustment of overall smoothness, throttle response, and rev hang is good enough for me.

For motor performance mods, I will probably add intake and exhaust also.

Just trying to have fun in my new daily.

My EVO was over 400HP+ and I was only getting around 18MPG. I was driving around 350 miles a week on that thing before I bought my other daily.

But, I'll get a baseline dyno run. Once i get a tuning software, I'll post dyno results from that also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts