Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
hey retrosolutions,

what about the sedans? do they produce a lot of glare? I've seen somewhere here that the sedan's headlights were designed so that it will have a pattern with a cut-off in it. Will this pose a problem?
They won't produce that much glare, but there are plenty of pics of our kits on the sedans around here.
Maybe some DIGITAL kit owners can post their results????

·
Registered
33 Posts
what kind of bulb do i need? it showing in the sylvania website that the low beam is a 9006 type while the fog and the driving light is an H11 bulb.
also i know that our headlight is not projection type..is there a possiblity to have that round thing attatch to our stock headlight?

and also have anyone of you tried a sylvania since this is probably close or even better that stock headlight bulb if you are not thinking HID.

found this on syvania website:

9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

·
Registered
776 Posts
They won't produce that much glare, but there are plenty of pics of our kits on the sedans around here.
Maybe some DIGITAL kit owners can post their results????

I tried searching but I really couldn't find sedan owners that have the digital hid kit. All of the pictures I've seen are from coupes..

Until when is the group buy scheduled? I might have to wait 'til next month.. :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I tried searching but I really couldn't find sedan owners that have the digital hid kit. All of the pictures I've seen are from coupes..

Until when is the group buy scheduled? I might have to wait 'til next month.. :(

Thanks!

It is open-ended, there is no time limit

·
Registered
904 Posts
what kind of bulb do i need? it showing in the sylvania website that the low beam is a 9006 type while the fog and the driving light is an H11 bulb.
also i know that our headlight is not projection type..is there a possiblity to have that round thing attatch to our stock headlight?

and also have anyone of you tried a sylvania since this is probably close or even better that stock headlight bulb if you are not thinking HID.

found this on syvania website:

9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
Sedan takes 9006 in the low beams, H11 in the fogs.

What round thing are you referring to? A projector?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Here are some more pics of our 4300k kit installed in a Honda Civic (reflective headlight):

9006 4300k Xtreme HID kit installed in low beams and OEM halogen fogs:

View from inside of car:

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
776 Posts
Steve,

Are the pictures overexposed? Are they the real output? The reason I ask is that when I had my TSX retro, I had to adjust the camera to get white light to show up in the pictures... The real output isn't that white...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Steve,

Are the pictures overexposed? Are they the real output? The reason I ask is that when I had my TSX retro, I had to adjust the camera to get white light to show up in the pictures... The real output isn't that white...
that looks about right, we had the same setup. 4300k is the whitest light output.

dumbass me, i shoulda taken it outta the van before i traded it in. but ihad it tucked up and woulda needed to take th ft bumper cover off and all that.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Steve,

Typically to get good pictures the length of exposure is increased.
4300k will have a slight yellow hue to it, 5000k is the closest to a pure white for HID offerings, although I can only speak for our bulbs, other brands may vary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Steve,

For the Odyssey van, no, itsnot overexposed. I's the "real color and brightness" (that's my wife's van). you have to use DSLR with all manual set incl. 1600 iso, take a bunch of pictures prior get the perfect match as "live view". The Auto or Program mode on camera will will give you a fault output.
It tooks me a while before I decised to go with 4300K for 2 reasons:
1: Brightness: Driver is my wife, so I want all the best brightness for her own safety on the wheel. This is more bright than my 99Acura TL HID.
2. Color Temp: 4300K will approach close to OEM look. And that's what I want, like "original factory xenon light" (I wish Odyssey has HID as optional). I take a look to the headlight of IS300 Lexus from my neightboorhood next door, it'snot blueish or purpleish but white.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok, this is about the best comparison i can show to anyone trying to decide which vendor to go with. These are pictures of a Xenon Depot kit (35w 4300K) and a retro solutions kit (55w 5000k) installed in the same accord coupe. these pics are taken with the same camera on the same wall also. Its not totally apples to apples, as the wattages and color temps are different, but here it is:

First id like to say they are both high quality kits, and both vendors offer great customer service. I think your decision will come down to what type of look you are going for. Comming from previous cars that had OEM HID (TSX, TL, IS350), i have decided to go with the more OEM-like light spread of the 35w Xenon Depot kit. If you are looking for more output or to be noticed more from oncomming drivers, the 55w retro solutions kit is probably better for that because they are 55w.

First are pics of the retro solutions 55w 5000k kit. The white is VERY white and VERY bright. The down road vision is superior to any oem HID's ive seen. The street signs are VERY visible, and the light is intense... maybe too intense for my night-vision. Similar to how i like my gauges dimmed at night, because when they are too bright it messes with my night vision. The spread (how even and far the light goes left-to-right) is not as even as OEM. OEM is much more balanced with less "hot spots". The 55w retro kit seems to focus more light ahead of you and less to the sides. The major thing i noticed about this kit compared to the Xenon depot kit is the placement of the return wire on the bulb. On the Xenon Depot kit the return wire is located on the opposite side of the bulb and does not affect the light pattern. On the retro kit, it is in the light pattern and casts a shadow as seen in the pics. Some people might not care, but it really bothered me... enough for me to decide to put the 35w xenon depot kit back in. Retro solutions addressed the issue by saying that the return wire is purposley placed there to provide more light output. It may have more output, but to me the shadow offsets any intensity gain.

below are retro solution 55w 5000k pics:

Now the Xenon Depot Kit:
The 4300K was a little more yellow than my previous oem HID applications, thus the reason for me trying the 5000k kit from retro solutions. After seeing both kits though, while not as intense or bright, the light spread is more even and the cutoff is sharper on the XD 35w 4300K kit. My down-road vision is not as good either, but the down-road vision with this kit is pretty similar to OEM HID. The customer service also was outstanding here. I work at a Honda dealership and have had the same tech install HID kits from other vendors in my fog lights of other cars ive owned (mccolluch, etc) and he thought this kit seemed to be the of very high quality and liked having the relays to ensure proper power to the ballasts. I will be ordering a set of the 5000K bulbs for this kit and putting them in soon. this way i will get the oem-like light spread with the whiter color i am looking for. I have talked to someone who has a 4300K 35w retro solutions kit and he thinks his lights are very white and he said he doesnt see the return wire shadow... so it may be a characteristic of the 55w kit. If so, anyone wondering if there were any downsides to a 55w kit: i would say the uneven light spread, and less sharp cutoff.

xenon depot 4300k 35w pictures:

IN SUMMARY: Both are great kits. The 55w 5000k are much brighter and whiter than the 35w 4300k. I think the 35w work better in our projectors though and have a more even and sharper cutoff. They more closely resemble OEM. Xenon Depot's kit is a little more expensive, but having the return wire not cast a shadow in the light pattern is worth the extra money to me.

·
Keepin this one stock...
454 Posts
Yea, I didn't notice that return wire shadow in other pictures either. Maybe its only a 55w bulb thing? Nice post!

61 - 80 of 131 Posts