Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Looks to me like Honda was paying attention to you guys! The part of the dipstick that goes into the oil in MY 2019 Touring is all metal and has the standard two holes to register "low" and "high". The only plastic is at the handle end.
I should be buying the LX sometime by May 3. I'll let you know if it's changed there too... I know my accountant's 2019 LX purchased in the fall is plastic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I should be buying the LX sometime by May 3. I'll let you know if it's changed there too... I know my accountant's 2019 LX purchased in the fall is plastic.
I just bought my car in Feb with a feb build date. orange tip on the stick, problem is the oil pools to the bottom of the stick, can't get an accurate reading. And yes i did the check while i was fueling in daylight and i let the oil settle for a few minutes before checking. I must of checked 10 times to get a good reading. Oil is so thin.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
125 Posts
Honda "caught up" to Audi. I've got a 2003 A6 with the 3.0L NA engine (which is gutless in comparison to the same era and size Honda engine). It has an orange tipped oil dip stick as well. I couldn't see the oil level on it so I cleaned it off real well and used brush on white out (correction fluid) to paint the lower inch or so, or maybe it was nail polish? It's worked pretty well for several years and now I can read the oil level the first time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honda "caught up" to Audi. I've got a 2003 A6 with the 3.0L NA engine (which is gutless in comparison to the same era and size Honda engine). It has an orange tipped oil dip stick as well. I couldn't see the oil level on it so I cleaned it off real well and used brush on white out (correction fluid) to paint the lower inch or so, or maybe it was nail polish? It's worked pretty well for several years and now I can read the oil level the first time.
Not a bad idea. Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have to ask if there is any risk of something being applied to the dipstick coming off and causing engine damage?

It actually occurs to me now if it would help if the orange plastic was "roughed up" with sandpaper, bead blast media, a file, etc if that would help at all (without adding anything to the dipstick). Obviously one would need to be cautious and make sure no residue (sand or plastic) was left behind on the stick.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The 2.0 hybrid motor does have a metal dipstick, but it's a special motor for the hybrid. Not the same as the 2.0T.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,543 Posts
You really don’t need anything, even when the oil is brand new and almost clear, if you dry it with a towel before sticking it back in to get the reading, and then look at it in bright sunlight, or with a flashlight, you definitely can see what part of the stick is wet and what part of the stick is dry.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I find that I have to dip it a few times to get a good read. I miss the old days when they just had the crosshatched metal dipsticks in Honda motors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I was also having a hard time reading it at first. But if I remember correctly, there were three dots lined up vertically on the orange tip. Maybe they're the markers for low, full, and over.

If you just look at the dots, then you'll see a bit of oil pool up in each one. My guess is that if you only see the bottom one with oil, you're under. If the bottom and middle have oil, you're good, and if the top one has oil, you're over.

I haven't read the manual on this subject yet, but I hope it's explained somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Meant to confirm whether the 2019 LX that I bought in April has gone away from the orange plastic. Alas no.
(Build date: 2019.04).

I find I just have to look closely at it to see the oil film line. In good (or "right") light that's okay, in some light it's invisible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my Honda Accord but I cannot believe engineering people could have OKed putting a piece of orange plastic t the end of the dipstick... it does not make things better... not readable... I am convinced I have overfilled the engine by 1 quart... after 3000 miles I pulled the dipstick... cleaned it... put it back in... pulled it out... and saw the darker oil color down at the first hole... I thought it was odd for a new car... a Honda!... to use 1 quart of oil 3000 miles after an oil change... but that is what it looked like to me... now people are telling me you can't go by what you see on the dipstick!! This is crazy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not that crazy. Sit it on a white napkin and watch the magic.
Hi... I did as you suggested... after placing the dipstick on a paper towel in a horizontal position... "magic happened"... the dark color oil has moved from the bottom mark on the dipstick to slightly above the orange plastic... indicating that I have overfilled the engine likely by a quart. I wonder how many Honda owners like me have checked the oil in the usual manner and added oil thinking they were down a quart? What was Honda thinking?? What was wrong with the regular metal dipstick that was easy to read in the normal manner??

·
2018 LX
144 Posts
I love my Honda Accord but I cannot believe engineering people could have OKed putting a piece of orange plastic t the end of the dipstick... it does not make things better... not readable... I am convinced I have overfilled the engine by 1 quart... after 3000 miles I pulled the dipstick... cleaned it... put it back in... pulled it out... and saw the darker oil color down at the first hole... I thought it was odd for a new car... a Honda!... to use 1 quart of oil 3000 miles after an oil change... but that is what it looked like to me... now people are telling me you can't go by what you see on the dipstick!! This is crazy...
My dealership has over filled my 18 LX engine 3 times since I purchased it in Oct of 17. Each time it was a new person doing the work so 3 times I've had them redo it correctly. So that dipstick seems to be costing my dealership a few pennys.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My dealership has over filled my 18 LX engine 3 times since I purchased it in Oct of 17. Each time it was a new person doing the work so 3 times I've had them redo it correctly. So that dipstick seems to be costing my dealership a few pennys.

It's one thing to make these mistakes right after the 2018's first came out, but it's crazy to me that after 3 years they'd still be overfilling.

I'll be honest, I sometimes have trouble reading the line too esp when the oil is fresh and I have the normal metal stick. I think part of it is due to the thin viscosity. It's like a step above water. Either way, I usually "re-dip" it 3-4 times just to be 100% sure where it's at.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,469 Posts
I don't think plastic is the problem. My Honda lawnmower has a gray plastic dipstick and it's easy to read. The lawnmower dipstick does have deeper hash marks on it, so it seems to hold the oil better. IMO sanding the plastic (make it rougher), so it isn't so smooth, would help to show the difference between wet and dry, and keep the oil from flowing to the end so quickly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Even though my hybrid has the metal dipstick, I still find the oil hard to see on it without angling the dipstick to create some glare. Only then does the wet part become obvious to my old eyes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Shine a small flashlight on the dipstick. No need to fully pull the stick out of its sleeve, just pull high enough to read with the flashlight.
Most cars out there today are like yours. Thinner oils don’t help much in the readability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know if other Honda model dipsticks are compatible length wise with the 1.5/2.0? I'd like to just order a traditional one if possible, can't stand the orange tip.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts