Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
So Dirty Girl has a small coolant leak somewhere. While I'm not 100% sure where, I know that it's coming from somewhere under the radiator cap area. I'm not sure if it's from the overflow tank hose, the tiniest of crack at the neck of the radiator cap, or if it's from a failed radiator cap.

I first took note that something was wrong when I made a lengthy trip through some of my local mountains and noticed that the engine temp shot up way above normal temp range. The AC was on and promptly turned it off, rolled down the windows, and turned up the heater. The temp then came back down back to normal. I drove it with low coolant for a few more days while I acquired more coolant and a proper coolant fill funnel that I'd ordered.

I picked this guy up and it worked perfectly. I had been using a small little funnel for all my previous radiator fills, that while worked, was quite messy. No more of that!

Since adding coolant, I have not driven anywhere since Thursday. I will monitor coolant levels over the next few weeks to see how fast they drop while I determine the exact location of the leak. If it's the hose itself, I'll just order a new hose from Honda, and probably also buy a hose clamp for added measures. If it's the cap, well, a new cap is in order. If it's the radiator, well, a new radiator is needed.

It's a bit hard to tell, but directly beneath the hose is a few drops worth of coolant spilled on the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If there's a leak you can usually smell it.

I once had the hot side plastic tank develop a very tiny crack in it where the plastic inlet (part that the hose clamps on to) molds to the tank itself. I kept losing tiny amounts of coolant. I could smell it but never see it. Finally one day I let the car run while I stood there staring at everything and eventually a drop formed from that crack. I'm not kidding. It would take minutes for the drop to start and minutes more for it to turn into an actual drop and then run down the tank. The fluid never made it to the floor.

I took it to a radiator repair shop and the guy told me that the hot side tanks do that a lot. He said he replaces many more hot side tanks than cold.

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
The last time I had coolant loss was when I replaced the leakless gasket....it's burried in this thread somewhere. It's the gasket #9 where the thermostat, temp sensors, etc. all attach to the coolant passage. It was a slow leak but fast enough where it allowed to pool up on the engine block externally directly below the gasket and it would burn off making a nice thick sticky mess. It was an easy find but not quite an easy fix. While at it, I also replaced gaskets #10, #18 (area I was working, not behind the water pump), and the thermostat. I remember having to add coolant at least once a week before finally fixing it. If anyone has to replace that gasket, be sure to do the EGR passage cleaning on the intake manifold. Having all this removed also allows one the opportunity to clean out (or at least inspect) the EGR passage on the lower port as well.

The time before that when I had significant coolant loss, was my radiator. It had a nice long crack going the length of the radiator about 6" on the plastic below the radiator cap. That was an easy find and easy fix.

Reactions: enne

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
The PS pump of Dirty Girl is doing something weird. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the pulley or if it's the bearings inside the pump. My guess it's the bearings inside the pump.

How long has it been doing this noise for? Well, I took the video on June 29. The noise had started a few days before that

·
Registered
33 Posts
The PS pump of Dirty Girl is doing something weird. I'm unsure if it's an issue with the pulley or if it's the bearings inside the pump. My guess it's the bearings inside the pump.

How long has it been doing this noise for? Well, I took the video on June 29. The noise had started a few days before that

I clicked your YouTube video and it brought me to another video of yours. Did you ever find out what the odd noise was coming from your dash? My car does the exact same thing!

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I clicked your YouTube video and it brought me to another video of yours. Did you ever find out what the odd noise was coming from your dash? My car does the exact same thing!
Yeah, I have a few videos.

No, I've never found the source of the noise. My car still has the noise. I've asked some people as to their thoughts on the noise, and they say it may be the HVAC blower motor. Then I stump them when I say that it makes the noise still when I have all HVAC controls turned off.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Did you find your coolant leak?

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I believe it's the small hose from the radiator to the overflow container. The radiator gave up on me a few weeks back, so I'm going to monitor the levels of the coolant and see if it was that instead of the hose.

When I drained the radiator, I only managed to drain about 1/4gal. The coolant system has about 2gal capacity and I filled up about 1-3/4gal.

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Because I'm an idiot, Dirty Girl got new battery terminals.

201 - 209 of 209 Posts