Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
2020 best year
4,236 Posts
I am curious: is there any permanent fix for the V6 transmission issue on 6th Gens and early 7th Gens? Like some aftermarket parts that address the wear issue?

If you are pulling it apart, may as well be done with it forever after that.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I am curious: is there any permanent fix for the V6 transmission issue on 6th Gens and early 7th Gens? Like some aftermarket parts that address the wear issue?
Permanent fix? No. Even after a rebuild, the question is always "when". However, there are always measures anyone can take to elongate the life of the transmission, which are:

• Regular ATF changes (D&F), using Honda DW-1 only.
  • External magnetic filter
  • External ATF cooler installed AFTER the radiator and before the transmission

If you are pulling it apart, may as well be done with it forever after that.
Why do you ask? Are you going to buy me a new car? If not a new car, would you buy me a used car where you pay for all the maintenance needed for it still?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
2020 best year
4,236 Posts
Permanent fix? No. Even after a rebuild, the question is always "when". However, there are always measures anyone can take to elongate the life of the transmission, which are:

• Regular ATF changes (D&F), using Honda DW-1 only.
  • External magnetic filter
  • External ATF cooler installed AFTER the radiator and before the transmission

Why do you ask? Are you going to buy me a new car? If not a new car, would you buy me a used car where you pay for all the maintenance needed for it still?

Not trying to make you angry or anything, just curious.

I'm just thinking there is some aftermarket solution to this now since the car is out for a while now.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,174 Posts
There's no permanent fix to clutch packs that wear out lol. The V6 is just too much for this transmission, plain and simple.

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Well, there is a "fix" that is technically still an OEM solution.

A 6spd MT swap.

Source / Donor vehicles would be 2nd gen Acura TL / TL-S, Acura CL / CL-S, and 7GA 6-6.

LOL

Is it effective? Yes. Is it easy to do? Yes, but also no.

Reactions: enne

·
one wheel drive
820 Posts
Tellin ya man, find a lower mileage J32A2 with 6 spd and since you don't have to worry about rust, you'll be running that car forever.

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I wanted to do that swap a long time ago. Not so much anymore these days.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Are you done yet?

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Done with what?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
tranny rebuild

·
2020 best year
4,236 Posts
Well, there is a "fix" that is technically still an OEM solution.

A 6spd MT swap.

Source / Donor vehicles would be 2nd gen Acura TL / TL-S, Acura CL / CL-S, and 7GA 6-6.

LOL

Is it effective? Yes. Is it easy to do? Yes, but also no.

MT swap would be a bit more involving, though. You might need a new ECU and do some wiring work.

Since the clutch pack is the issue, is there any aftermarket clutch packs that last longer? Or is there a way to hack the 7.5th Gen or 8th Gen clutch packs in there(this one is admittedly a wild guess)?

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
tranny rebuild
My transmission mechanic told he'll be done by Friday. I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday morning though.

MT swap would be a bit more involving, though. You might need a new ECU and do some wiring work.

Since the clutch pack is the issue, is there any aftermarket clutch packs that last longer? Or is there a way to hack the 7.5th Gen or 8th Gen clutch packs in there(this one is admittedly a wild guess)?

An MT swap will be a more involved swap, yes. And I could keep my stock ECU, but it would need to be repinned.

There is no way on hacking up 7GA or 8GA clutches into a 6GA transmission.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,174 Posts
F23A1 swap :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Eww no!

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Picked up Dirty Girl from the shop about an hour ago. My transmission guy told me to take the first 1,000 miles easy, meaning, no "Drive like I stole it" for a little bit.

I'm having dinner just down the street from the shop, so I haven't been able to feel what she's really like right now. I'll find out on the drive home how she truly does, but I can say that she's shifting in gears 1-3 so far.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,174 Posts
?

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Dirty Girl rolled 350k today!

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
This is odd. Happened this morning as I was leaving my driveway on my way into work. The car felt fine, no rough idle, no sluggishness, no nothing. So I cleared the codes.

I've had coil packs die on me before and I know what a misfire feels like, but this didn't feel like any of that.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,174 Posts
My friend's V6 '02 just had a similar thing happen yesterday morning. It was cold out where he lives, though. He said it ran a little rough upon starting, but then smoothed out and it drove fine the rest of the way to work.

·
Super Moderator
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Just a random photo :)

161 - 180 of 209 Posts