Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been doing a bit of searching and might have mentioned this once or twice in other threads, but I haven't been able to figure much out, other than that some other people don't like it either. I thought I'd create a separate thread so that it doesn't slip through the cracks for anyone else who might have input.

As I'm sure you've noticed, our generation of Accords comes equipped with a one-touch feature on the turn signal, wherein you can press and immediately release the lever, causing the signal to automatically blink three times. If you haven't seen it, the OM briefly mentions it on p. 136 (both years).

I know some people like it, but others (including me) don't, so does anyone know of a way to disable this feature? If not, has anyone found a way to stop it once it's been started? The OM doesn't say anything about disabling it and I haven't been able to find an option in the on-screen settings.

I do know that after you've held it for one full flash, you can let go and it won't flash again. The issue for me is that a couple of times I've had to change my mind during that first flash and instinctively let go, which then causes it to continue blinking and probably scares the other driver.

From playing with it in my garage, I can tell you that none of the following will turn it off:
  • Lightly pressing the lever in either direction after the initial press; instead this will add three clicks to whichever direction you pressed it.
  • Clicking the lever down in either direction after the initial press will have the same effect as above.
  • Before the lane change, fully pushing the lever past the clicking point, then immediately returning it to center. This will still activate the feature as if you had lightly pressed and released.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Right now it looks like the best way to avoid it is to learn to hold the lever past that first flash, even after I decide I don't want to change lanes. It's doable and I can learn to live with it if there's no way to take back control of the signal, but I'd still prefer to not have to outsmart my car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You are over thinking this. It doesn't matter if it flashes an extra time or two after you change your mind. It is of no consequence.

If you want to fully control it, click it to the full blinker position and manually move it back when you want.

Move on.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disagree when you say it's of no consequence - what are your thoughts when you see someone signaling a lane change when there's no room for them? Sure, it's not going to cause an accident, but I'd rather not get honked at just because the car won't turn its own signal off if someone takes the spot I was about to move into.

Also, as I said in the OP, clicking it to the full blinker position then immediately moving it back still causes it to keep blinking after the fact. At least it does so on mine; is that not normal?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What don't you like about it? You don't have to touch the stalk unless you want to signal and then you just move it all the way up or down. I didn't even realize the car had this feature until I read about it in the owner's manual. It's a great feature if you have the Lane Watch system. You don't have to move the stalk all the way down or up to just change lanes and the Lane Watch system will not go off. Everyone should signal a lane change regardless if they have the Lane Watch system or not. It's just a courtesy to other drivers.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
TL;DR

From what I see, you can only disable if you access the turn signal stalk harness and cut the wire/s thats used for one-touch turn signal.

I don't know what wire and not even sure if everything else will work right if you cut it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
S mode
382 Posts
This respond is most valid. Unless you constantly making last minute decision while driving, honestly that's a big hazardous while driving.

You are over thinking this. It doesn't matter if it flashes an extra time or two after you change your mind. It is of no consequence.

If you want to fully control it, click it to the full blinker position and manually move it back when you want.

Move on.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
People get tickets for not signaling at least three times before/while changing lanes.

This feature along with the headlightz automatically coming on when the wipers are on can save you some dough, if you happen to be in the vicinity of a cop with time on his hands.

If you signal that you want to change lanes in one direction and change your mind, signal in the opposite direction and people will understand what's going on, if they're paying attention at all.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, this isn't a question of driving style, but let me give you an example of when this gets annoying. I assure you I'm not a hazardous driver; I think my history of no accidents, no tickets, and no warnings will attest to that.

Say you're dealing with rush hour traffic on a six-lane highway and somebody's behind you in the left lane. You decide to get over to let them pass, and you see an open spot in the middle lane. You check your mirrors and your blind spot, turn on your signal, then at the same time someone comes over from the right lane into the spot you wanted. You can't get over and you're suddenly sending the wrong message because you can't stop the blinker from flashing until it's good and ready.

This is the reality of city driving; you occasionally have to make snap decisions, even if you're not an aggressive driver. All I'm saying is I don't have a need for this feature and would like to have control over it in situations like that. For me, the hassle outweighs the benefit. Maybe it's because of my style - I like to let the signal flash a couple of times before I'm actually crossing the line. I do that to give people a better heads-up, but it does leave time for the situation to change.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The OP obviously is not from South Florida where no one uses a turn signal and red lights and stop signs are meerly suggestions. I love the feature and cant understand how if the signal goes off twice more than one would want it to, how that could be worse than no signal at all.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The OP obviously is not from South Florida where no one uses a turn signal and red lights and stop signs are meerly suggestions. I love the feature and cant understand how if the signal goes off twice more than one would want it to, how that could be worse than no signal at all.
Been there, done that, no thanks. :) Miami is probably my least-favorite city to drive in for exactly that reason.

I agree it's better to let it flash three times than none; it's when the plan changes and I no longer can move over that it annoys me. Maybe I'm too concerned about what other drivers are thinking, but I'd just like to know I can turn it off when that happens. I guess the easiest thing is to learn not to let go until after it won't activate. That's still a pain and not as good as other cars that have a menu option to turn it off, but it's better than letting go too early and having it flash two more times.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This feature along with the headlightz automatically coming on when the wipers are on can save you some dough, if you happen to be in the vicinity of a cop with time on his hands.
I didn't know about the headlights and wipers! Now that I think of it, my headlights were on when I was driving with the wipers on. I thought it was just because it was cloudy at the time so the auto lights came on.

The lane change feature does take some getting used to, but I like it. It is becoming more common now for cars to have it.

·
Cruisin Iowa...
149 Posts
I like the feature and agree you are over thinking it. It's not a danger. I wish it blinked 5 times instead of 3.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the feature and agree you are over thinking it. It's not a danger. I wish it blinked 5 times instead of 3.
If I liked it, I would agree since I usually signal four or five times when I change lanes. There should be an option to set the number of times it does it automatically, or to turn it off. Seems like it'd be simple enough to implement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got used to this on my Vette and glad it is on my '13 Accord. It is especially useful for interstate driving when there is no automatic off when changing lanes.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
If I liked it, I would agree since I usually signal four or five times when I change lanes. There should be an option to set the number of times it does it automatically, or to turn it off. Seems like it'd be simple enough to implement.
On my Magnum and Challenger the dealer could adjust the number of flashes with the "StarScan". I always thought (4) would be the perfect number.

BTW, I love this feature and I think Honda got on board with it for the Lane watch feature.

Jay

·
Registered
37 Posts
Say you're dealing with rush hour traffic on a six-lane highway and somebody's behind you in the left lane. You decide to get over to let them pass, and you see an open spot in the middle lane. You check your mirrors and your blind spot, turn on your signal, then at the same time someone comes over from the right lane into the spot you wanted. You can't get over and you're suddenly sending the wrong message because you can't stop the blinker from flashing until it's good and ready.
The person who is seeing "the wrong message" will have also seen the d-bag who took your lane. Seriously, the signal blinks for THREE SECONDS. If someone is confused by that and is oblivious to the fact that you can no longer move into that lane because another car is there right in front of them, they have bigger problems than seeing your rogue blinker for three seconds.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Don't get hung up on this. In a few weeks, you'll get used to it and appreciate it. It is more dangerous to fumble with your stalk than to just let it blink for 3 seconds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts