Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have this problem where the front speakers severely distort when the volume is cranked up past a little more than 1/2 way? It sounds like paper rattling distortion and it will blow the speakers.

I tapped into the L & R front mid-range speakers signal wire, ran that to an amp and then ran the amped signal wire back to the aftermarket speakers in the front doors. I have no idea why it is distorting. Ideas?

I noticed that if I use the rear speaker wire as the amp input, there is no distortion. The distortion is only if I use the front speaker wires as the amp input. I want to use the front speaker signal wire as the amp input for the front speakers, because otherwise I would lose the Bluetooth calling feature.

I have a EQ, but it is not hooked up yet, as there is a buzzing sound with the engine running. I have to fix a ground loop, but it is too cold outside!

Speakers: JBL M-62C
Amplifier: PPI iON i520.4

Channels 4
RMS Power 4Ω 100 x 4
RMS Power 2Ω 130 x 4
RMS Power 4Ω Bridged 260 x 2
Dimensions:
(5.375"w x 1.875"h) 9.25"

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
EX-L have tweeters, the factory amp has a built in crossover meaning that the signal reaching the mid-range front speaker is pre-filtered and cutoff. The back speaker signal is full, this is why you are not getting the problem from the rear ones

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where did you tap into your front speakers to obtain the signal? I am wondering if it is something to do with you having the EX-L with premium sounds system.

EDIT...FreAkInZ beat me to it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EX-L have tweeters, the factory amp has a built in crossover meaning that the signal reaching the mid-range front speaker is pre-filtered and cutoff. The back speaker signal is full, this is why you are not getting the problem from the rear ones
Do you know of a workaround to make the front OEM speaker inputs to stop the distortion when the volume is turned up past 1/2 way? What if I maybe combine the tweeter & front mids into one wire and run that to the amp?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
to me it would only add more distortion, especially if the crossover adds some phase shift to the tweeter signal (which is very probable due to electronic components)

meh... can't you tape in the rear signal and send new wires to both front and back?

you would then have power from the amp to the 4 speakers.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Sounds like you could have the gain too high for the input level signal voltage. It's likely a higher voltage signal like 2-4v and not .2-1v, so make sure you're input gain is set correctly. It is NOT a volume knob...it is to match the input voltage so that no distortion is produced at the full power. What is 1/2 way on the volume knob in your car to you? Most factory HU's (and aftermarket for that matter) run into distortion before they reach the end. So if the volume goes from 0-30...then I'd call 20-23ish max. You can set the gains accordingly.

Has anyone for sure proved that the factory signal is crossed over? If I remember correctly it looks like they used a very small cap on the tweeter (ex and up) to make the electrical crossover. Are we sure they are using a crossover, whether that's in the HU/dsp or with cap, on the 6.5" mid? It's possible..and it would save them money...if they just had the woofer naturally roll off on the lower and upper end. No crossover needed. If that's the case then it's a full range signal.

OP, can you please post up a picture of the controls/settings on your amp?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone for sure proved that the factory signal is crossed over? If I remember correctly it looks like they used a very small cap on the tweeter (ex and up) to make the electrical crossover. Are we sure they are using a crossover, whether that's in the HU/dsp or with cap, on the 6.5" mid? It's possible..and it would save them money...if they just had the woofer naturally roll off on the lower and upper end. No crossover needed. If that's the case then it's a full range signal.

OP, can you please post up a picture of the controls/settings on your amp?
I am at work now but I will post a pic later today. You might be right, I will adjust the gain and see if that makes a difference I did not think of adjusting that. I assumed the signal going to the front & rear 6.5's were the same, and I am probably wrong.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Voltage...yes probably. So if they didn't distort like that when tapping the rears and running the same speakers, with everything else the same (hu volume, amp settings, etc) then it's not the amp settings.

If they're both full range or crossed at some point, who knows.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This might sound strange but I noticed that when I have the amp powered via the rear speakers, it does not distort at all. But, during my lunch break today, I swapped the wires around, so that the amp is powered by the front speakers, instead of the rear. There are no distortion whatsoever, even when the volume was cranked all the way up.
I am starting to notice that when I first turn my car on for the day, there is crazy distortion if the amp is powered by the front speakers, but when it gets warmer or later in the day no distortion at all. (This is the second day this happened)
This really does not make any sense to me or it is just a coincidence. I am going to play around with it later tonight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was your door open at lunch with your leg hanging out? Im not saying its the problem, but could this be related to ANC? ANC only kicks in when the doors are all shut. When I first ran my sub (I know you are running door speakers) I thought everything sounded great...until I shut my door to leave and ANC kicked in.

I just wonder if the speakers are picking up the ANC noises due to the signal being amplified.

To turn off ANC google or youtube it, there are lots of videos. I figure its worth mentioning in this thread because of how easy the fix is.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79501

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was your door open at lunch with your leg hanging out? Im not saying its the problem, but could this be related to ANC? ANC only kicks in when the doors are all shut. When I first ran my sub (I know you are running door speakers) I thought everything sounded great...until I shut my door to leave and ANC kicked in.

I just wonder if the speakers are picking up the ANC noises due to the signal being amplified.

To turn off ANC google or youtube it, there are lots of videos. I figure its worth mentioning in this thread because of how easy the fix is.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79501
ANC is already disabled..

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
So just to clarify, when you say 'powered via rear' or 'powered via front speakers' you mean you're splicing into the wires AFTER the factory amp (duh, but just making sure we're on the same page) and your input is coming from the rear speakers high level signal (or from the front speakers high level signal) correct?

There shouldn't be any difference. The voltage should be plenty sufficient to not need a line driver...especially if you're connecting to the rear and that's further away from the source than the front (obviously).

·
Registered
462 Posts
From what I have heard, please correct me if anyone knows differently but the door speakers are full range. Just the tweets are crossed over as per ousooner.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Someone showed the back of the tweeter and it had a small cap on it so that's how they're crossed over. I don't know about the 6.5" mid 100%. It could be crossed over from the head unit or another way...or it could just be ran full-range without a crossover (let it naturally roll off on top and down low). I don't know if the SPORT would be any different so I can't say for anyone else

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So just to clarify, when you say 'powered via rear' or 'powered via front speakers' you mean you're splicing into the wires AFTER the factory amp (duh, but just making sure we're on the same page) and your input is coming from the rear speakers high level signal (or from the front speakers high level signal) correct?

There shouldn't be any difference. The voltage should be plenty sufficient to not need a line driver...especially if you're connecting to the rear and that's further away from the source than the front (obviously).
Yes you are correct. When I say powered via front or rear, I mean I spliced the wires after the factory amp.

I also have found out what was causing some of the distortion issues. How I 'fixed' the issue was when I was driving home today (amp powered by the front high level), I turned the gain up on the amp, and faded the signal from the HU to almost completely the rear. Sounds dumb but it worked!
The sound is a little flat, but I have a EQ that I still have to install. It needs to warm up in Philly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts