Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to ditch my BMW as it was involved in a write off (some old lady t-boned me at a light and sent me into a pole).

The insurance company has given me 14k so Ive decided to go back to the Accord, and am on the lookout for a 2008-2010 clean 4 door, EX-L, preferably in black.

Just have a few questions as Ive been out of the accord scene for a while:

1. Does the 08/09 EX or EX-L come with factory bluetooth without nav?
2. What should be the main things I look for in the car - besides car-proof etc.
3. Most of the cars dont come with maintainance history - so once I purchase
the car, what would you guys recommend changing right away?
4. Water pump, timing belt, - cost to replace?
5. Do you recommend a lowering kit...which one?

Thanks all! Sad about losing the beast but happy to come back to the accord!

·
Registered
353 Posts
At least you made it out ok and have the sense to get back into an Accord.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Timing belt is around $300-$400...never had one done (yet) so someone with better know-how would be better suited to answer.

Don't buy a 2008 if you can avoid it.

Start off with oil change, tranny drain + fill, cabin air filter, engine air filter, bleed brakes, (check tire condition), new wiper blade inserts, bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Also inspect the brake pads, especially the rear.

I don't recommend a lowering kit unless you want to drive around everywhere like a granny to prevent bottoming out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.

Yeah, I owned 3 accords - a 89, a 91, and a 93 - I loved all of them. They were bullet proof. The 93 lasted till 480000kms before she went to car heaven!

Im guessing 14k will get me a 08 at most, or a high mileage 09? Is it better to just get the LX and then add stuff like bluetooth hands free usb etc via an aftermarket radio or to put in an extra 2-3k and get the ex-l?

Im not too worried about kms - I guess even upto 140kms would be fine, as I will do what you guys are suggesting for immediate maintainance as soon as I take delivery.

I make loads of calls while on the road so stuff like hands free is a big must have for me unfortunately, beyond that just hoping she's as good on gas as my other accords were. Im sick of the bmw gas drinking days

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Thanks all.

Yeah, I owned 3 accords - a 89, a 91, and a 93 - I loved all of them. They were bullet proof. The 93 lasted till 480000kms before she went to car heaven!

Im guessing 14k will get me a 08 at most, or a high mileage 09? Is it better to just get the LX and then add stuff like bluetooth hands free usb etc via an aftermarket radio or to put in an extra 2-3k and get the ex-l?

Im not too worried about kms - I guess even upto 140kms would be fine, as I will do what you guys are suggesting for immediate maintainance as soon as I take delivery.

I make loads of calls while on the road so stuff like hands free is a big must have for me unfortunately, beyond that just hoping she's as good on gas as my other accords were. Im sick of the bmw gas drinking days

i have an 08 LX and have virtually everything upgraded to surpass an EXL trim besides leather and sunroof. have a full aftermarket sound system with navi/rearview cam bluetooth, all that stuff. have upgraded suspension (coilovers) and suspension components. upgraded my exhaust and piping. upgraded brakes, you name it. ive had my 08 lx for 5 and a half years and have had 0 problems with it, (other than being SLOW as a snail) oh ive had a VTC actuator recall done 2 years ago but other than that ive had no problems at all besides regular oil changes/fluid flushes.

i would try to get at least 09 EX if i were you. you can upgrade everything to better than OEM later. when i was thinking about buying a new car i was lookng at EXL v6 accords (2008-2009 under 60k miles) for around 14-15k USD

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is no factory bluetooth on the non-nav models.

Timing belt is only on the v6. The 4 cylinder is a timing chain.

There really isn't anything you can look for to change right away. Just check the fluids and do a change if they look like they need it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks all.

Not sure how Canadien prices are for Accords. I just picked up a 2011 EX-L 4 cylinder for under $18,000. Do dealers up there have something like Carfax to look the car up on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
LX sedan is stripped down to almost nothing. You want the Heated Seats and Auto Climate, sunroof...
http://new-car-search.autos.ca.msn....a&year=2008&model=Accord+Sedan&id2=1082300103

Not sure what it's like out east but they're holding crazy value here in Cgy.

Maybe try 06/07 EXL Navi? Then you should have some to spare and play with other things.

The 09 definitely eats more gas than my 02. Probably due to size and weight.
02 I was getting around 7.8L/100km and now I'm around 9... both I4's.
06/07 is before the mid-size to full-size change so you'd be better off on gas there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure how Canadien prices are for Accords. I just picked up a 2011 EX-L 4 cylinder for under $18,000. Do dealers up there have something like Carfax to look the car up on?

Yeah we have carproof which is similar, and gives you an idea if the vehicle was in a reported collission.

Trouble is its hard to find a clean accord unless you get it from the actual Honda dealerships used cars lot. Private dealers carry loads of Accords, for cheaper prices, but most have been abused by owners who have driven it pretty roughly and not bothered to maintain it.

Areas like North York/Scarborough/Toronto East are pretty full of such cars, so it may be cheaper to buy it off them but you`re never quite sure what you`re getting.

Ideally, Id be thrilled with a black EX-L - auto 08/09 for 14-16k from the honda dealerships. Im checking out 3 today lets see how they go!

·
Luv My Honda
51 Posts

There really isn't anything you can look for to change right away. Just check the fluids and do a change if they look like they need it.
I own a '10 Accord EXL 4 cyl sedan w/o nav and it did come with factory bluetooth, it is standard on all '10 or newer EX/EXL Accord models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, do your accords shift a little roughly from 1st to second, this is for the 09-09 automatic 4 litre ones. I test drove a few and noticed that the shifting was smooth but could definately feel a bit of a jerk from first to second. The dealers kept telling me this is how the generation of accords are and that is no sign of tranny trouble - can anyone confirm if you feel any jerks etc from 1st to 2nd on your cars?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Had to ditch my BMW as it was involved in a write off (some old lady t-boned me at a light and sent me into a pole).

The insurance company has given me 14k so Ive decided to go back to the Accord, and am on the lookout for a 2008-2010 clean 4 door, EX-L, preferably in black.

2. What should be the main things I look for in the car - besides car-proof etc.

Craigslist=King of used. I just saw a clean 2007 (unfortunately, base model but)with low miles *and* good maintenance history in a good part of town for 7 grand.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4288217058.html

Here's another.. Too bad I already have one but you don't so I would recommend CL to you RIGHT NOW! :nuts:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4287679914.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4283549753.html

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,327 Posts

There is factory bluetooth on non-nav for 2010 EX-L but I don't believe it was available for 08/09.

·
2018 Acura TLX Tech
854 Posts

Have you considered getting a 2014? I currently own both generations, and I have to say that the 9th is a definite step up. If you used the insurance money as a downpayment, maybe it's possible? If you're looking to save money, I recommend the new Sport model, which has huge BMW-ish wheels and and tires exclusive to that model.

Here's the size for the 2014 Accord Sport:

235/45R1894V

msrp with the slick shifting 6-speed manual: $23,715.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should check out cars.com or use the app, that's how I found my accord. 2010 EX-L i4 with about 20k miles for a little under $18k back in May. I'm sure the prices have gone down alittle since then. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts