Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not much different from jayknight's original DIY. Credit to him for doing it originally and providing much needed assistance.

1) Disassemble OEM key fob.
2) Disassemble inner plastic enclosure. (also shown in picture above; the one with the Siemens label) When disassembled, you should have front cover, buttons, circuit board, battery and back cover.
3) Do the same thing to the 09 TSX switchblade key fob. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=302165&postcount=12 (Taken from LRP_Accord's post)
4) Now you have the 2 most important pieces of this conversion. The TSX circuit board (left) and the Accord circuit board (right). It is shown below:

5) The main goal is to move the lock, unlock, trunk and LED (optional) components to align to the positions located in the TSX circuit board. Image is shown below:

6) Remove the switches for lock, unlock and trunk. If you want your LED to function, remove this as well.
7) Solder wires to the removed switches and LED.
8) Place the components in the right location making sure that there's an insulation material in between the component and the circuit board to avoid shorting.
9) Cut wires to appropriate lengths and solder it to where it was originally placed.
10) Steps 8-10 will have to be done in different sequences. Use common sense.
11) The picture below shows what it should look like at the end: (Another solution is from jayknight's link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=302666&postcount=87)
12) Trace out the trunk lining from the white plastic cover of the TSX key fob shown below:

13) Remove TSX immobilizer chip which can be read from this link: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9353&highlight=switchblade
14) Make sure everything works. Test it out. If it works, reassemble everything back together.
15) DONE! Enjoy your custom TSX key.

*** DISCLAIMER: Do this mod at your own risk. You will be held responsible for your own actions. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some problems I encountered on this conversion:

- I stripped one bolt. It is the silver one shown below. This needs to be removed in order remove the TSX immobilizer chip. I had to drill out the damn screw. Just be careful in removing this screw.

- The fabricated circuit board is too thick. I can't close the TSX circuit board enclosure properly. In consequence, my TSX key fob doesn't align properly. The pic is shown below:

What did you do to fix this jayknight?

- Panic button doesn't work when the key is assembled. I don't know what's causing this. When I remove the circuit board and just test it by itself, it works. Something's Probably shorting out or something.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attachments...

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Some problems I encountered on this conversion:

- The fabricated circuit board is too thick. I can't close the TSX circuit board enclosure properly. In consequence, my TSX key fob doesn't align properly. The pic is shown below:

What did you do to fix this jayknight?
A quick question, and perhaps a suggestion. Without having Jayknight's confirmation here, I might just be guessing, but if you notice in his photos from the other thread, he removed a section of plastic from the inner plastic enclosure of the TSX key, and seems to have done so to accomodate the immobilizer chip on the circuit board. Example:

And here with the inner plastic cover in place:

If you were to remove this same section of plastic over the immobilizer chip, do you think the board would sit more flush within the key? Might you then be able to close the key and have the two halves line up correctly? Give it a look and let us know. Because I really can't see another reason for Jayknight to hack up his key like that.

Also, if you wouldn't mind snapping a pic of the back side of the circuit board, showing in greater detail how you connected the battery terminal to the circuit board, I'm sure we'd all appreciate that as well.

But really, excellent work! Lots of us have been waiting a long time for a definitive DIY guide for this mod. THANK YOU!!! :thmsup:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were to remove this same section of plastic over the immobilizer chip, do you think the board would sit more flush within the key? Might you then be able to close the key and have the two halves line up correctly? Give it a look and let us know. Because I really can't see another reason for Jayknight to hack up his key like that.

Also, if you wouldn't mind snapping a pic of the back side of the circuit board, showing in greater detail how you connected the battery terminal to the circuit board, I'm sure we'd all appreciate that as well.

But really, excellent work! Lots of us have been waiting a long time for a definitive DIY guide for this mod. THANK YOU!!! :thmsup:
Sean,

I already removed the same section. If you don't remove the section of the back plastic cover, the immobilizer chip would stick out too much and there's no way in hell you would be able to close the enclosure. Also, that section is on the left side when looking at the key fob. That side sits flush. It's the right side of the key fob that's having alignment issues, as shown in the picture.

I connected the backside of the battery terminal the same way jayknight did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good on ya, then. Let's hope we can get jayknight to chime in on this one. It's good to know, then that I'll have to remove that section as well. Again, though, thanks for the DIY. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here is a question:

I started doing this right, but when I started talking the buttons out I think I broke the "legs" on the buttons. Do these buttons have to have legs or terminals on them.
If so, what is the best way to take the buttons off without breaking them?

Also, each button has 4 corners, does it matter which sides to pick or just pick two opposite sides?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: the key doesn't start my car. Apparently it's not reading the immobilizer chip properly. I will try to figure out what's going on... *sucks*

I wonder if jayknight's key really starts the car... hmmm...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Update: the key doesn't start my car. Apparently it's not reading the immobilizer chip properly. I will try to figure out what's going on... *sucks*

I wonder if jayknight's key really starts the car... hmmm...
I am just wondering if you took out the TSX chip from the key? I cut my key today and it can't turn on the car, but the TSX chip is still inside.
Can you please let me know if you can do this mod for me please. I tried, but I just don't have the skills to do it.
I can send you everything that you will need like any materials because I bought them already. Let me know please

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that the immobilizer chip isn't on the circuit board. I remembered a thread somewhere detailing how someone wanted to locate the immobilizer chip in their Valet key, and had to saw the whole thing apart to get to it. When they finally did, they found that the immobilizer chip is secured firmly within a hole inside the blade of the key. It might be the same for the regular keys as well. Maybe the immobilizer is still in your original Honda key, we just didn't know it. Some photos:

And the Link: Valet Key Immobilizer

Again, this is only a guess.

The best way to find out is to try and start your car with the old key. You shouldn't have to re-assemble it or anything. All you need to start the car is the key blade and the immobilizer chip present. If your old key (again, without the circuit board anywhere near it) starts your car, you know the immobilizer chip is still in there. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a sneaking suspicion that the immobilizer chip isn't on the circuit board. I remembered a thread somewhere detailing how someone wanted to locate the immobilizer chip in their Valet key, and had to saw the whole thing apart to get to it. When they finally did, they found that the immobilizer chip is secured firmly within a hole inside the blade of the key. It might be the same for the regular keys as well. Maybe the immobilizer is still in your original Honda key, we just didn't know it. Some photos:

And the Link: Valet Key Immobilizer

Again, this is only a guess.

The best way to find out is to try and start your car with the old key. You shouldn't have to re-assemble it or anything. All you need to start the car is the key blade and the immobilizer chip present. If your old key (again, without the circuit board anywhere near it) starts your car, you know the immobilizer chip is still in there. It's worth a try.
Sean,

I'll give it a shot! If it works, I'm out 2 keys hahaha! Also, where could it be?!?! I can't see it having a place to fit into. Also, howcome jayknight's switchblade is working?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I tried cranking the car with my original key without the circuit board and it can't start the car. So that rules out the immobilizer chip being embedded in the actual key.

The grey chip built in the circuit board is the immobilizer chip. The way it's sitting on the TSX key fob makes it too far from the ignition for the system to recognize it. So what I tried is to make the key fob sit 90 degrees in relation to the actual key. This makes the immobilizer chip on the circuit board sit closer to the ignition. viola! The car started! So that's good!

This is what I'm worried about... After I started the car, I can't just leave the key fob at a right angle in respect with the key. So I let it go and it went in its natural position. (The position where it didn't want to start the engine originally) I waited for around 10-15 seconds and it didn't die. Now my question is that does the car only look for the immobilizer chip before starting the car? Once the car is started, it doesn't care if it's there or not? I'm just worried because now I know that the chip is sitting way too far. What if I'm driving on the freeway and the system is constantly checking for that immobilizer and decided it's way too far. Will it shut off the car while driving? Or it doesn't care anymore since the engine's running?

All insights would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
anyone else encouter any of these problems?
i was also wondering if any one could guide me to where to buyt the switchblade key? ...im in central jersey, and every acura dealiership around here is seeling the for $65-$80....i heard some of you bought it for about $35? i would pay that much...lol

any help?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
163 Posts
thank you soo much Marc08EX...i opened up my key today and looked at what i was actually going to do..and im kinda scared...lol
but i think i might have my mom do it cuz she use to be a master at soldering...lol!... so yeah

but thanks again you are soo much of a help..im going to order that within the next week or so ..and when i do...im going to post the pictures on here the step by step like detailed....on how i move the wires and everything...lol just wish me luck!!!!

Switchblade for the sedan!!!!!! WOOT WOOOT!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you soo much Marc08EX...i opened up my key today and looked at what i was actually going to do..and im kinda scared...lol
but i think i might have my mom do it cuz she use to be a master at soldering...lol!... so yeah

but thanks again you are soo much of a help..im going to order that within the next week or so ..and when i do...im going to post the pictures on here the step by step like detailed....on how i move the wires and everything...lol just wish me luck!!!!

Switchblade for the sedan!!!!!! WOOT WOOOT!!!
yeah man! let us know! i don't know how I can make my switchblade sit flat and flush. Maybe you'll find the solution. Good luck man!

·
Registered
163 Posts
thanks alot man! i will def keep you updated!

you think that the wires that you used to do the mod might have been too think?

also i remeber that jayknight said that he moved the batttery? maybe thats the problem..

also since it doesnt sit nice and clip in...does it fall apart when it is on your keychain? or...?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks alot man! i will def keep you updated!

you think that the wires that you used to do the mod might have been too think?

also i remeber that jayknight said that he moved the batttery? maybe thats the problem..

also since it doesnt sit nice and clip in...does it fall apart when it is on your keychain? or...?
I don't think it's the wires. It's either the switches in their new location or the LED I put in. The battery is in the same location. It's hard to figure out what's protruding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i mean try to take out the LED, and see what happens..cuz i saw in your pics that the LED kind of sits a little past the board...maybe thats the reason why it wont clip in right...

if you can try that give us a heads up ...thanks alot!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts