Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3rd gear "notchy" shift finally inspired (annoyed? :censored:) me to swap out the manual transmission fluid in my 6MT. I've upgraded to GM's friction modified synchromesh fluid (semi-synthetic). Time will tell, but I didn't feel any notchy shifts in today's post fluid change drives.

It's a pretty easy job - set aside 30-45 minutes to get it done.

Here's a direct link to the video. Don't pay the dealership - it's easy!

·
JaGeR BOMB!
414 Posts
nice diy video!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
lol

I got that same jack and those same jack stands

Very Thorough... very well done. Props

did you think about using anything besides GM Synro like Redline?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol

I got that same jack and those same jack stands

Very Thorough... very well done. Props

did you think about using anything besides GM Synro like Redline?
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, it was a toss up between GM & Redline for me. Internet forum history showed that a LOT of people had used GM over the years (Accord and TL) in the 6 speed Honda tranny and hadn't had issues. I even read about Honda dealerships putting in GM F/M synchromesh to address the 3rd gear issue. So, that made me think it was a safe bet. I'm sure Redline would've worked too... but I like to stick with an informally "proven" thing, even if it isn't the reformulated OEM solution. Perhaps I'll put Redline in next time (15K -20K miles), for a good comparison.

I hope Redline users will chime in - I wonder how their success rate has proven out over their mileage.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I personally have used GMSM on other Honda manuals with great success... I am curious about other brands also

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hit, thanks for the vid.
So did it un-notch third gear?
I've got the same issue with my car and thot missing a shift was my bad until I got it figured out. I was thinking Red Line. Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hit, thanks for the vid.
I've got the same issue with my car and thot missing a shift was my bad until I got it figured out. I was thinking Red Line. Anybody else?
......17,000 miles on GM SynchoMesh Friction Modified goo. Not one 3rd gear tight shift. Ypsibird and Aviography helped big time with my decision here.

ez....

·
Car Customizer/Consultant
780 Posts
going to go buy this today! Thanks Hittman!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't have a 6-6 but I enjoyed the video. Learned something new.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hit, thanks for the vid.
Man, after driving it for two days all I can say is: 3rd shifts are great now! I was hoping some Redline users would chime in. I know elp_jc used it (selling his ride) and Mark from Throwdown Performance.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
We need more people like you on these forums. Props!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so then Two Quarts even is your estimate for a complete replacement?
Tough to say...If you're buying some, I'd strongly suggest 3 quarts. It's better to have too much than too little ;)

I probably dumped in 2.4 quarts or so, but it leaked out of the weep hole for some time. But it was a slow weep, and that's a small hole. I didn't measure what came out the first time, or what came out after I added 2.4 quarts...I guess I should have. But, the weep hole doesn't lie....I'd suggest using it instead of the "just add 2.3 quarts and call it good" method.

When I do it next time, I'll try to remember to measure.

·
Hondaracer4vtec
670 Posts
so then Two Quarts even is your estimate for a complete replacement?
MSchu,

When i did mine, i measured the amount that came out and replaced it with that same amount. the check hole was open and took a piece of paper and just as i was about to put it in the hole to see how far i have to go...it was right there.

NICE VID HITMAN!!

for those of you who dont have jack stands, you can actually do this without lifting the car up from the floor at all. (did it twice without lifting already :nuts:)

Hitman, how long do you think your going to have it in there and replace it?

·
Hondaracer4vtec
670 Posts
hardtopguy.com

also for those who want to give this a shot, i highly suggest using this site to order, very fast shipping as well. They have the AC Delco SMFM which is exactly the same thing as the GM same part number and everything. if you order the washers just order one with the washer and then 2 without so you dont enter 3 with the washers. I learned that one already.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NICE VID HITMAN!!

for those of you who dont have jack stands, you can actually do this without lifting the car up from the floor at all. (did it twice without lifting already :nuts:)
Wow man...I'm impressed. I have the HFP suspension. I'm a thin dude, but I don't think I could crawl under there!

Hitman, how long do you think your going to have it in there and replace it?
I'll just have to follow the Maintenance Minder. I wish they'd just give us a freakin' mileage...Instead it's MM Service #3...whenever that shows up, or the shifting gets notchy again.

hardtopguy.com

also for those who want to give this a shot, i highly suggest using this site to order, very fast shipping as well. They have the AC Delco SMFM which is exactly the same thing as the GM same part number and everything. if you order the washers just order one with the washer and then 2 without so you dont enter 3 with the washers. I learned that one already.
Great find. 3 bottles, with 1 set of washers delivered to my door was $42.01. It was cheaper than me going to the local Chevy dealer ($45.72). I had to go to the Chevy dealer once to pay, and they didn't have it. I had to go back to get it the next day. Plus a trip to Honda for the washers.

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
I put in Redline probably 500 miles ago. Love it so far.

·
Hondaracer4vtec
670 Posts
Yeah i saw that as well, i dont think i would be able to do it with that HFP set up. I'm 6 foot 200lbs its just the long arms that did it for me.

I'm thinking about 20K for me on it....cause NYC driving too much shifting the maintance minder doesnt count the number of shifts i use. And you can feel the difference from now and when you have it on for a year and a half with all the shifts i do. BUT THE 3RD GEAR notch didnt come back, it was that i wanted the butter shifting back :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Great video! I was told by a friend at a GM dealer along time ago that their synchromesh fluid is by pennzoil. Don't actually know if it is or isn't but i've been running Pennzoil's synchromesh for 1.5 years or so and 18,000 miles and its been great. The fluid is cheaper and can be picked up at Autozone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts