Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing pictures of people with different color gauges, not just stock red (coupes) or white (sedans), I've been searching for a way to change my gauge lights/color. I found an awesome DIY over at everything-honda.com that you can take a look at here

gauge color change DIY

I used this DIY and finally finished my gauges and took pics. The DIY is pretty much spot on and it does requires a lot of patience. Other than that it was a pretty east DIY. I ordered the colored film from ebay and when it arrived did everything in about an hour. Heres my finished product -

Gauges and Radio
Gauges

On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty I would rate this a 5. The hardest part for me was getting the film cut out right so it would cover all the area I wanted. And getting it in the right place was annoying since the sticky adhesive made placing the film difficult, which is why you need to be in a patient mood for this mod.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
i think it looks ok. i'd prefer to leave the white parts white and just make the green (sedan) or red (coupe) parts blue

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't a big fan of the off-white-somewhat-yellow color of my gauges so I really wanted that swapped, especially after coming from a truck that I had the ability to swap bulbs easily to change the colors. If the gauges had been anything like the new 06 style I might have kept them the same but these had to go! The pics don't do it justice really, it has a much deeper blue than what is shown, so I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

About the only bad thing is that since changing the radios color, it makes it a little hard to read on sunny days, but even before that, it was still a problem reading the radio face on sunny days, so I was already used to dealing with low radio face visibility.

·
Registered
2006 Accord EX-L
1,163 Posts
Awesome mod!! I saw the thread a while ago on everythinghonda and I really like it. But the more I drive my car, the more I like the stock white letterings on my instrument cluster. I remember when I had my Explorer, I actually printed out designs (mine was flames) and glued it on the cluster and then added a film like this one to change the color from bluish-green to completely blue. It looked awesome!!

·
ready to go....
15,798 Posts
The blue is really pretty! :thmsup:

Why didn't you just change the bulbs you wanted, instead of the film stuff? :dunno:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
princess said:
Why didn't you just change the bulbs you wanted, instead of the film stuff? :dunno:
I have little experience when it comes to leds, and from what I've read, that's what the 7th gen accords have in the gauges. So I didn't want to have to worry about the leds, the correct resistors that go with them and making sure they were all wired and soldered in the correct order so that each one lights up. I think THAT would have taken more time than just using the film.

When I can get around to it, I will probably pull the radio and do that with the lights for the radio buttons. But for now, until I get more practice with leds, I just wanted to use the film.

·
CBass170
25 Posts
blue gauges help

I've tried to check out the DIY for the blue gauges for a couple of days now and it will not come up. Is this link no longer available? Could someone post this again or send it to via email? Thanks guys and gals. :wave:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
great, thanks for the help mjl

hey quick opinion question...how do you think it would look if i did it all blue and left the speedo in the middle white?...i tried to photoshop something of it..and it came out looking bad..the Photoshop of it ...so im wondering what do you think it would look like?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres a quick PS I did, nothing fancy but it gives you an idea. Honestly I don't think it would look right, but I'm comparing it to MY gauges that were the older style. Yours will look different since you have an 06+. My suggestion if you were going to do this mod would be to do everything in blue but the speedo and reinstall it and test it to see how it looks, you should probably do that anyway in case some of the film shifts and makes white areas that you want to be blue. The speedo is the easiest part to change so if you decide you dont like it that way its easy to take it back out and make that part match the rest.

If you do leave the speedo white take pics so we can see the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
sounds cool, i think im going to try if over xmas break, and ill make sure to take plenty of pictures

another quick question, do the gauges come out lighter in the pics than what they actually are? ..cause it looks kind of like the gauges are a light blue from the pictures and i want to go for something of a more darker look, but if they are just the pictures that come out lighter i could care less.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah they are lighter in the pics, darker in real life. But it will also depend on the shade of colored film you get. If you are sent a sheet that is thicker or is a deeper shade you could have really deep blue or opposingly a lighter shade will give you lighter blue. I dont think they range that much in shades but what im saying is mine are a rich blue and yours will not look like mine because the gauge face is different. I think yours will have a better blue, or whatever color you said you were going to get, because theres no yellowish tint to your gauges.

Also I would order an extra sheet or two in case you do mess up a cut and its too small to cover all the area. make sure you give yourself a full day to do it because trying to work the film behind the black mat of the gauges takes patience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MJL - I love the look of the blue gauges in your profile pic.
They would certainly match my new blue car :) although from the picture, they look to be pretty bright?

I realize this thread was last updated over 3 years ago, so I'm wondering if anyone has copied the info anywhere, since the old link is dead (404 on http://www.everything-honda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3529).

My car is an '07 and I was hoping to change over the super bright white gauges to some color other than white. I was thinking I might want to change them over to red (easier on the eyes at night), however, wondering if that might drown out the redline and warning light indicators?

I also see that yours is a 2005 Accord - so the gauge lighting might be different. My last car's gauges were LED lit, so the film color-change type mod wasn't really an option - most people either left it as is, or had a lot of soldering to do to swap out the color. I don't really want to get into soldering, and I don't care to change the needles, just the "white" parts, as you can see from my gauge cluster picture.

I know that my cluster has the option to dim the backlight for the gauges, but I'd just prefer to mod them to a red color so that way they can remain bright & visible, but not harsh. Dimming them to the point where it doesn't bother my eyes makes them practically useless/hard to read.

Also, I'm curious if you, or any other folks who did a gauge color change on an accord can post a pic of what the gauge looks like in the daylight/not lit?

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Actually I second this bump, would love to see how it's done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts