Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
thanks for your tip on putting 2 wrenches together for more leverage. there was NO way I was going to be able to move that 14mm wrench by itself, lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
just finished doing my goodyear gatorback serpentine belt. for $28 shipped from amazon, it was a very good deal, just had to wait 6 days for shipping, lol.

my car idles smoother now and revs smoother too! woohoo!
before and after pics?

·
Registered
400 Posts
thanks for your tip on putting 2 wrenches together for more leverage. there was NO way I was going to be able to move that 14mm wrench by itself, lol
No problem, I use that trick all the time lol. I even used it in conjunction with a ratchet. It's so useful.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
well...there wasnt any interesting pictures to take, lol. its just a gatorback belt where my oem one used to be, just like the OP.

my idle wasnt as bad as the OP, but its noticeably better now.

gonna do spark plugs next!
I am the OP. haha. It feels alot different having the Gatorback. I park my car in a parking garage at school. When I remote start the car, I can no longer hear it until I am about 1.5 rows away.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
o oops i forgot you are the OP. yea, before the belt change, sometimes when i shift between R and D, the rpms would flutter a little which resulted in a very slight vibration. but now its perfectly smooth shifting =) and its DEFINITELY quieter too. im also getting less vibration during cold starts.

should get even better after i do my spark plugs soon.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have heard that the goodyear belt and some of the dayco belts chirp a little? I just turned 100,000 on my 07 Accord and will be replacing the belt soon. the OEM has been silent since day one....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was the OEM belt that I just replaced with the Gatorback. I had the squeaking ever since the car was at 30k miles, but got around to replacing the belt at 58k. This is the first time I'm trying the Goodyear belt, but no chirps so far and the build quality feels a lot nicer.

I am going to replace the drive belt in the 07 TL (45k miles) soon too, since it's starting to squeak and indicator is to the right as well.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very cool. What's the suggestion for when you should do this as far as miles are concerned or is this just something to keep an eye on?
I replaced mine when it started squeking. Plus the car was 5.5 years at the time. I kept the old one in my trunk just in case I need one when I am out somewhere far from civilization.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you put the 14mm wrench on, then get another larger wrench, like a 17mm, you can lock it in with the 14mm so you can get a lot more leverage. Works every time for me.
I did exactly the same and works like a charm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Replace it. It's not terribly expensive and if I remember correctly your car has a bad history, might as well start treating it right as the new owner.

I say stick with an OEM belt, I was looking into replacing this for my car as well.

You car and mine seem to share the same belt.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=A/C+COMPRESSOR+(L4)

#11 on the diagram costs about $30 + shipping.
I got Bando belt for about CAN$30. If I remember correctly, I was quoted for CAN$ 80 for belt and about CAN$ 110 for labor at Honda dealer. I think it took me only 10-15 minutes and saves $$$.:banana:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I dont get any squeals during normal driving, but recently right after I turn the engine off, there is a slight squeal that lasts for about 1sec. Could the drive belt be the culprit? The indicator does say that it needs replacing. It's got just under 60K on the clock right now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I dont get any squeals during normal driving, but recently right after I turn the engine off, there is a slight squeal that lasts for about 1sec. Could the drive belt be the culprit? The indicator does say that it needs replacing. It's got just under 60K on the clock right now.
Just go ahead, it does not cost much to replace. I replaced mines under 60k.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
As far as I can tell the drive belt doesn't have anything to do with the car driving smooth. All it does is power accessories (a/c, power steering, alternator).

Can someone tell me how this would affect idle speed?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
As far as I can tell the drive belt doesn't have anything to do with the car driving smooth. All it does is power accessories (a/c, power steering, alternator).

Can someone tell me how this would affect idle speed?
im assuming its because the belt looses tension over time. if it was a really tight belt i assume it would slow down the engine, thats how i think of it as.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
the tension is loosened. the alternator can run smoothly, sending proper amount of power to the battery and remainder of the engine. more power = less force to move??

21 - 40 of 150 Posts