Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the DIY! :thmsup:

My 2003 Accord has 120,450 miles on it and I just replaced the Serpentine belt for the first time. I found no visible wear or cracking on the original belt but it was getting very noisy! Funny thing is from inside the car I could only hear the belt noise when my wife would open the right side door.

I purchased a Goodyear Gatorback 4070700 replacement belt, (Man what a tight fit!)

A replacement tensioner assembly

and the tensioner tool which made the installation a lot easier. :yes:

Figured I could use the tool again in the future with all the Honda's I own (Now and future),

I ended up not installing the new tensioner assembly as the roller was smooth, quiet and solid, I'll save it for installation another day. The markings on the tensioner aligned exactly as they should after the belt was replaced.

All is nice and quiet with minimal expense, hopefully good for another 100,000+ miles. :banana:

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
I purchased a Goodyear Gatorback 4070700 replacement belt, (Man what a tight fit!)

and the tensioner tool which made the installation a lot easier. :yes:

Figured I could use the tool again in the future with all the Honda's I own (Now and future),
That Gatorback is a lot beefier than the Bando stock one. I used one on a neighbor's '07 Corolla and I like it.

I also used that Honda belt tool on his Corolla. He uses the 19mm end while our Accords are the 14mm end. I always like having the right tools for the job :yes:

You can also use the tool if you have to change the alternator, power steering pump or water pump.

I don't know if it helps but let the new belt sit out unbundled first before you put it on. It has all those bends from storing so if you leave it out the day before, it will be more easier to slip around the pullies.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That Gatorback is a lot beefier than the Bando stock one. I used one on a neighbor's '07 Corolla and I like it.

I also used that Honda belt tool on his Corolla. He uses the 19mm end while our Accords are the 14mm end. I always like having the right tools for the job :yes:

You can also use the tool if you have to change the alternator, power steering pump or water pump.

I don't know if it helps but let the new belt sit out unbundled first before you put it on. It has all those bends from storing so if you leave it out the day before, it will be more easier to slip around the pullies.
Your probably right, I just may need that tool for things other than just replacing the Serpentine belt! :thmsup:

We had one of those typical Southern California Winter Days last Saturday (84 F.) So the belt "uncurled" rather quickly, probably helped with slipping the belt on, but I still had to "Shoehorn" it a bit to get it over the lip of the top pulley.

One more side benefit of the new belt, Driving home from the Clippers game yesterday afternoon we noticed the Accord's interior was a lot quieter while driving the freeway at 70+ mph!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Replaced mine today. This is the 3rd belt. I also noticed much more smooth acceleration and the lag/hesitation I have noticed over the last year is gone.

I used a Dayco from AZ.

·
Registered
748 Posts
arrow is to the right but i'm not hearing any noises. should i just replace this darn thing anyways?

·
Registered
748 Posts
arrow is to the right but i'm not hearing any noises. should i just replace this darn thing anyways?
just replaced it with the goodyear belt. Now the arrow is slightly off to the left about 1 or 2 mm which indicates that the tensioner needs to be replaced. How important is this? everything seems to be running normal.

·
06 EX
17 Posts
Thanks for the guide - thanks to this and some others I managed to do this in about 20 minutes without raising the car (but with appreciable amounts of swearing trying to get my not-so-birdlike hands down to the lower pulleys from the top).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the guide - thanks to this and some others I managed to do this in about 20 minutes without raising the car (but with appreciable amounts of swearing trying to get my not-so-birdlike hands down to the lower pulleys from the top).
I purchased the tool to loosen the tension on the belt to make installing the belt easier, which it did a fine job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829PPBK/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it turns out the tool was also very helpful in maneuvering the new belt down around the lower pulleys due to its length and the round socket which guided the belt into place fairly well without ever going under the car. (I've got rather large hands also....)

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts

Here is another belt tool for those with fat arms.

I haven't used it but it looks handy. It holds the belt in place while you route it around all the pullies.

·
Ballin' on a budget
484 Posts
Just did mine at 130k km. Old one had a couple little cracks and the grooves were very beaten up. The new belt was a super tight fit though, especially doing it alone. Just used a 14 mm wrench with an angled closed head wrapped in a micro-fibre cloth. Also had to use a flat-head screwdriver to help the belt over the top pully.

·
Banned
14,431 Posts
Just did mine at 97,000 miles and "rented" the tool from Advance Auto. Technically, you buy it for $29.99, then return it for full refund. That tool was easy. Total time was 6 minutes!

Old belt was starting to crack but was just fine otherwise.

The "issue"...???
Old belt: The arrow was about 1/4 inch to the right,
New belt (before starting car): arrow was perfectly centered.
New belt (after starting the car): The arrow is 1/4 inch to the right!

What gives?
Anyone?....Bueller?.....Is this OK?

·
Terminator
272 Posts
It's something you should just keep an eye on. I replaced mines because it started to crack and after it rains or in cold weather, the belt squeaks embarrassingly. Myself, I had the squeak since I bought home the car at 31k miles and never replaced it until today at 58k miles (31 months = 27k miles not bad). I've seen people who needed to replace the belt at 15k and others who were replacing it for the first time during their 105k service.
Thank You for the great DIY. I changed it with OEM in a few minutes.:thmsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changed mine this morning - now idles a little better and most importantly, eliminated the squeaking!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just broke 150k on my 06 4cyl with the original belt, both Honda and a quality local mechanic said the belt is fine in its present condition. I've checked it and there's no cracking in the ribs or glazing in between. I'm half tempted to change the belt just because, but if two different experts think its ok, should I?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just broke 150k on my 06 4cyl with the original belt, both Honda and a quality local mechanic said the belt is fine in its present condition. I've checked it and there's no cracking in the ribs or glazing in between. I'm half tempted to change the belt just because, but if two different experts think its ok, should I?
Mine looked fine also, but it was generating a lot of noise. Changed to the new belt and driving the Accord got a lot quieter! Funny I didn't realize how noisy is was until the noise went away!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Same here, 164K on mine and no cracks, glazing or noise. Leaving it be.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Same here, 164K on mine and no cracks, glazing or noise. Leaving it be.
Okay, I broke down and changed it. Used the OEM Bando as the first one lasted a total of 166,600. For $18, I guess there was no reason to wait any longer.

The indicator arrow was just barely to the right of the marker with the old belt and now sits dead center with the new belt. The job was quite easy... I used a craftsman rachet with 14mm socket and slid a pipe over the handle for leverage. The old belt looked like it could have gone another 100K. Zero cracks or glazing. I'll throw it in the trunk for a spare.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just replaced the tensioner and put the same belt back on only has about 6,000 miles still In great shape and the lines aren't marked correctly but it's better then the old mark? Any help?

·
Registered
995 Posts
When I Google the part number for the new belt, 38920-RAA-A03, this one comes up on Amazon, the one review said its the same thing...what is your guys' thoughts?

Its way cheaper and free shipping for me since I have prime...

101 - 120 of 150 Posts