Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the procedures I took in order to Drain and Fill my Automatic Transmission on my 2005 Honda Accord EX-L I4 (4Cyl).
The things I had handy while doing this procedures are:
1. 3/8" Rachet
2. Transmission Funnel and 1/4 in tubing
3. 1 gallon plastic container.

NOTE: Honda's updated transmission fluid is now called DW-1 (replacing the older ATF-Z1) The part number is 08200-9008A

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are the instruction in accordance with the Honda Service Manual.

1. Warm up the vehicle to operating temperatures (the cooling fan should come on).
2. Park vehicle on level ground.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pop the hood up and locate the transmission dip stick. It is on the right side of the engine. It has a yellow round handle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you have located the Dip stick, look under the vehicle to find the transmission drain bolt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the 3/8" rachet to remove the transmission drain bolt. (my transmission bolt was on very tight) Have your container handy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drain all fluid into the container. Approximately 3 quarts should come out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The drain bolt wasn't too dirty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dispose of the ATF in a container that will allow you to transport it to the nearest parts store for disposal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reinstall the transmission drain bolt.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insert the hose attached to the funnel. I didn't have a leak at all. I filled the transmission with 3 quarts of Honda ATF-Z1. Each quart cost $6.07.
Moderator's NOTE: Honda's updated transmission fluid is now called DW-1 (replacing the older ATF-Z1) The part number is 08200-9008A It costs about $7 a quart.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Filling the transmission through the dipstick hole because I didn't want to mess with pumping fluid into the transmission fill bolt hole. Fill the transmission slowly because if you do it to fast the fluid can back up and overflow. Moderator's NOTE: Honda's updated transmission fluid is now called DW-1 (replacing the older ATF-Z1) The part number is 08200-9008A

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once you have filled the transmission with the recommended amount (3.0 quarts), insert the dip stick back into the transmission tube. I only did this process once because the fluid is not to dark and my car has 35,000 miles. From here on out, I will be doing the drain and fill process every time I change my oil.
Dont forget to check the fluid level. Warm up the car untill the cooling fan comes on, turn the car off and you have up to 90 seconds to check the level. CONGRATULATIONS

Reactions: Blu3RSX

·
2005 HAH, prev. 2002 EXV6
9 Posts
I am looking forward to changing my fluids, just took delivery on Saturday. I found and quoted the amsoil site in the other ATF thread. They claim it is compatible with all ATF's and good for 50k severe or 100k normal usage.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Good work. Thanks. I'm sure every 7th Gen owner here will appreciate it.

Oh, and first post (?).

....while we appreciate your work, there are a few of us out here that will stick with the factory 120,000 mile change interval. (Rock on 6M)

Seriously, nice job.

best, ez....

Reactions: Omaha419

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thanks for this tutorial!

If one were to add on the additional step of replacing the tranny fluid filter... would it be tough to do? Anyone can chime in.... it's been relatively easy on all my other previous cars...

·
AC6DN
1,533 Posts
I have 2001, F23A4, and myn sez to use 2.6 Qrts; I did the 2.6 Qrts and over filled it....
I find that its closer to about 2.1 Qrts. Its easer to put in than take out. I get it to the minimum mark and get it off the ramps, recheck, warm it up (fan on once), recheck. Then if still OK (in the hatch mark), then I drive it till its worm, recheck. Thare a real difference hot, warm, and Cold for both engine oil and trany oil???

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would add to replace the crush washer on the drain bolt.

Reactions: and_youf

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would add to replace the crush washer on the drain bolt.
Thanks for this tutorial!
If one were to add on the additional step of replacing the tranny fluid filter... would it be tough to do? Anyone can chime in.... it's been relatively easy on all my other previous cars...
Answers

#1 As recommended by the Honda Service Manual, always replace the crush washers when performing the Transmission Drain/Fill procedure and the Engine Oil Change Procedure. Thanks Benjamming for the reminder

#2 I am merely trying to put in a good finished product that other can use since I take so much information from this forum, adding a tutorial or two is another way of giving back.
There is no Transmission Filter you can replace. Its not like a Ford, GMC Yukon, Nissan Maxima (vehicles I have changed transmission filter on) that have a transmission pan you drain and then remove numerous bolts to reveal a replaceable filter. There is a Cooler Line Filter that basically is not listed in any maintenance manual. Some dealers have no clue about it. I think its because they don't expect to ever (LOL) change it.

Here is the info on it by the Honda Service Manual.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To locate the "ATF FILTER" standing at the drivers side of the vehicle look inbetween the engine and the airbox as pictured below.

1 - 20 of 501 Posts