Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

461 - 480 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
be a lot easier and less messy to sneak a drain pan under there and drain it out.

Reactions: KW2004Accord

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just did my ATF change this AM. Quite an easy process. Took much longer than I anticipated. Mostly because I've never done it before and 2nd because there's SOOO many clips to get the underbody cover off...wow! Broke the first clip and there were 2 clips already broken. What a joy to find out my cheap jiffylube oil change ended up having a hand tight oil pan bolt... wonderful! I could literally just unscrew the oil drain bolt with my hands... Ended up needing almost all 3QTs of ATF fluid. Shifting feels MUCH smoother! I didn't save any paper towel but the oil wasn't too bad. Not real brown so that's good! Overall a very easy process, little messy at first. I underestimated how much ATF fluid would come out at first. lol fail.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Is it possible to suck the ATF out through the filling plug where dipstick also goes to the same place ?
Yes, some people use a mighty vac, be aware that you may not be able to get all the fluid out of the pan though & it can be alot more time consuming (on some cars the filling tube bends & you can't get the vac tube down to the pan). Also by draining you will be able to get more junk out & be able to clean off the magnetic drain plug of any metal shavings. Draining is the better (faster) way to go.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Do you have a link to the replacement orings or a diagram where they need replaced typically?
It seemed to be more of a problem on 7th. gen. Accords, I think. There was even a TSB issued on it. You can type in the search box, plenty info./ video. I have never needed to replace mine, but know others that had to after a PS fluid change, pump sucks air causing fluid foaming, in the reservoir.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ah ha! Finally got a good pic! I had some leftover ATF from my change. Compared that to my new ATF fluid... Pretty remarkable... glad I changed it! Whew! Car shifts nice too!

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Good catch on the change! The feeling you got with yours is how I felt about mine :)

·
Don't drink and drive
5,185 Posts
So the automatic transmission only takes 3 quarts of fluid? Sorry for the stupid question I'm still a bit new to this
7.5 or something like that. You drain about 3-4 quarts out, but the rest is stuck in the transmission lines and channels.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
What was said above ^ .That is why you have to do multi drain & fills, to change the fluid dilution from old to new. Do 4 d&f's, driving inbetween ea. one, change inline filter if you have one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
....while we appreciate your work, there are a few of us out here that will stick with the factory 120,000 mile change interval. (Rock on 6M)

Seriously, nice job.

best, ez....
I asked my Honda garage head technician about the extended period, double fill, etc. and he recommended just changing it once @ 30K mile intervals. Cheaper, easier and most of the fluid is fresh. It's pretty much the same principal as changing the radiator's coolant @ 30K intervals without a flush, most of the fluid is fresh.
I changed my ATF "lifetime" filter to a Magnaflow filter (no cutting/splicing, etc.) and I change it when I change the fluid.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just did an initial drain. This has got to be the easiest DIY ever. Didn't even need to jack the car up, just torque the bolt. lol

The old fluid was still a bit translucent, but darker in color. I'll drive it for a week, and then do another drain/refill.

·
Terminator
272 Posts
Just did the drain and fill. Even after putting 3 quarts in, the level is below the lowest mark of "hot" on the dipstick.
I guess it drained out more than the typical amount.
Is this normal(07 SE 4cyl.).

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Just did the drain and fill. Even after putting 3 quarts in, the level is below the lowest mark of "hot" on the dipstick.
Are you checking it correctly. Warm up the engine (drive several miles) car must be on a flat surface, turn off the car & you have 90 seconds to check the fluid level. Do you have a aux. trans. cooler installed ?

·
Elvira
3,622 Posts
If you had the car on ramps or one side lifted to get access to the drain plug, you may have drained more than the 3 quarts. If you can, measure the drained fluid. I pour the drained fluid into a milk jug with the levels marked off on the sides.

Do as @KW2004Accord stated in the proper method of measuring the ATF level.

Reactions: KW2004Accord
461 - 480 of 501 Posts