Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY for Back-Up Cam Setup
For 7th Gen 2006/07 model

[DISCLAIMER: Informational purposes only…Please read the entire DIY…This is how I installed it on my vehicle. I’m not responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle as a result of this DIY.]

Parts I used:
-Connector: 6-pin ‘WMLX-103’ (Fry’s# 1899306)

-RCA Cable: Find lying around or purchase
-Camera: (replaces license plate light) EBAY Link
-Spare wire to be used as a jumper, ~2” long.
-Connector for power of License plate light on Cam. (Optional - depends on camera you purchase)
-RCA Video plug coupler

Tools I used:
-Wire strippers
-Wire crimpers
-Wire cutters
-Butt Connectors
-Electrical tape
-Heat shrink tube (Optional)
-Zip-Ties

Creating the connector to go into the back of the DVD-Rom unit:
-Cut the head off one end of the RCA cable and expose the (2) two wires (red & white-depending on your cable)
-Take about a 1/8” to 3/16” or so of insulation off the wire and crimp your wires onto the pins and give the wires a light tug to make sure they won’t slip out.

-Take your connector and make sure you orient it the correct way so the wires are inserted in the connector correctly.
-Notice the connector has a wide and narrow slot for the pin to be placed into. Pin should “click” once inserted into connector.

-See pin guide for correct pin layout for appropriate wires.

-Use electrical tape or heat shrink tube to cover the wires. (If using the shrink tube put the shrink tub on before you put the pins into the connector)

Testing the wire:
-Put wire into the port in the back of the DVD-Rom unit...Climb into trunk like you’ve been kidnapped to see the back of the unit.

-For me…I used the 6-pin connector (WMLX-103) so I had to insert the connector to the right one pin. (First pin/slot is blank anyways) No need to worry about the connector falling out as there is plenty of tension on the pins to keep it in place in the unit.

-Once plugged into the unit, put key into the ignition to the ‘on’ position (no need to start) and put the car into reverse.
-If done correctly the screen should ‘beep’ and go blank. Test away by changing from P to R to D and back and forth…if works, carry on with DIY. Once the cam is connected it’ll be powered and you’ll then see a picture.

Connecting/Powering camera:
(The camera I purchases has license plate lights built into camera assembly-Camera replaces light) See 'Camera Specs' below…

-Start by removing truck lid cover from the underside of the trunk lid.
-For me…I have to wire the License Plate lights to the cam…Splice them into the plate wire harness. (Red to Red and Blk to Blk]
-Find the wires to reverse lights and remember the color of them-Same color for both sides [Green with Gray spots & Black]
-Run wires down the main harness that goes along the left side of the trunk and secure. (I used the factory tie-downs)

-Splice into the main wire loom that goes up to the trunk lid down by the hinge in the trunk and find those same two wires. (You’ll see two of the green wires-[use either one] and couple of Black wires-pick any black as they are all grounds)

-Splice the main power to the camera [Red] into the [Green/Grey spots] wire. I recommend offsetting the splices so they won’t be bunched-up and look like a big ball in the harness. I used Butt Connectors. I hate wire taps!

-Double check your splices before proceeding. Then wrap with Electrical tape of use shrink tube-install before connecting wires.
-Secure wires back into the wire loom and Re-tape the wire loom.
-Make all your connections to the camera and DVD unit and DOUBLE CHECK everything before powering the car.
-I had to purchase an RCA Coupler connector to connect my RCA cables together as I had two male ends…As they can’t mate.

-Clean-up all the loose wires by zip tying and securing them up under the rear deck. Make sure you leave some slack on the wires and test the trunk lid movement to make sure there is no interference with the hinge and the wires.

All Done!

Finished Product….
Total install time was little under 2 hours…I’m very happy with the cam that I chose as I was looking for a low-profile cam. The ONLY grip I have with it is that the LED's don't match my current plate lights.

(Left is 5k LED and I'm guessing the cam uses 6k)

You can see the color difference on the reflection on the plate...

Has a very low-profile...

Image quality is good enough for me...Not looking for HD, just a good visual...

Camera Specs:
Camera: LINK

Modifications to make camera fit...
I had to sand under the pressure clip to make it fit into the hole better. It also makes it theft proof, so now to remove the camera you have to pop it out from behind.

The last part needed is a gasket like (foam) OEM. This will make it fit tighter and keep it from moving.

:wave:

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
4 door Coupe
984 Posts
can you change out the leds that came with the camera? and how long did it take to get it from HK?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
not bad, I like your harness, came out a little cleaner than mine and i used the 8 pin molex connector and cut off 1 pin. the little pins were hard to crimp!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Only thing is, it being offcenter and all, that would **** up my sense of perception with those lines in the camera... I like the lines, but the offcenter placement AND the lines (with or without really) makes you feel like it is in the middle of the car when its not really... Would screw up my perception of sidewalks/other cars, etc... That's just my opinion though on how it would be for me...

Anyway, GREAT how-to man. great setup... Nice work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you change out the leds that came with the camera? and how long did it take to get it from HK?
No, Looks like they're on a circuit board. It took about 2 weeks once it was shipped. Seller provided all the tracking info as well.

not bad, I like your harness, came out a little cleaner than mine and i used the 8 pin molex connector and cut off 1 pin. the little pins were hard to crimp!
Thanks...Yeah that one I show is the second attempt. The wires are hard to get tight in the pins without destroying them.

Only thing is, it being offcenter and all, that would **** up my sense of perception with those lines in the camera... I like the lines, but the offcenter placement AND the lines (with or without really) makes you feel like it is in the middle of the car when its not really... Would screw up my perception of sidewalks/other cars, etc... That's just my opinion though on how it would be for me...

Anyway, GREAT how-to man. great setup... Nice work.
Thanks...The off-center mounting isn't really noticeable until you get within feet of hitting something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but howcome your RCA cable has 2 wires inside? mine is 1 wire with a shield around it like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RG-59.jpg

by any chance are you using rca cables for audio?(this might be the difference)
I just used an RCA (Audio) cable, I cut up one of the yellow (video) wires when I first started the DIY and was like WTF am I supposed to do with this....LOL so I tested it with the RCA (RED) and it works just fine...I'm gonna test it with the Yellow here soon to see if there is any quality differences. So far works perfectly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can you post a better link to the exact camera you used? The ebay link in your post lists thousands of cameras.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
pretty cool! good job! i wish i had a navi so i could install one too. LX ftl :thumbsdow . hit a freakin pole thats like 2 feet high. how the hell am i suppose to see it from inside the car? so stupid. good thing didnt do much damage.
________
television news

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this thread, I just installed the camera. I got the CCD version and the guy said they none of the CCD comes with guide lines.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
MJB - this is an a w e s o m e write-up. I'm trying to do the same mod, though am running into the same issue with the RCA cables. I've cut up 3 different RCA cables, both video and audio ones and all of them (even the red audio) only have 1 wire inside and not the 2 wires in the one you used.

Do I actually need one with 2 wires inside? Or, can I just do it with the single wire? If I need the 2 wires, how do I tell one has 2 wires vs 1 inside before I buy it? :) Sorry if these are lame questions...

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
does making this mod affect check engine light?

Hi all, I just made this mod thanks to MJB's writeup, and it's successful!! I'll have to take pics later on.

Question though, right after this mod (literally, first time i started my car right after i finished tying the wires down), my check engine light came on. Do you guys think it's pure coincidence (cause in my mind touching electricals (especially related to audio/nav/backup lights) should not affect check engine light. Unless, one of the wire bundles I touched somehow is tied to or controls some aspect of the engine/exhaust/ECU etc.?

All I basically did was
- tap into rear license plate light
- tap into reverse light
- made the custom pin and inserted into the navigation system slot as described above
- twisty tied everything down following the wire bundles from the trunk to the back of the dvd unit

Any thoughts appreciated in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Guys,

Got an Accord 8th generation. Follow the instruction on the first page. so far so good, with the wire loop, when I put the car in reverse, I hear the beep and the screen goes blank, and comes back when I put it in other gear.

I order a RCA camera on ebay and I am waiting for it, but I ve read somewhere on this forum that 8th generation use a RGB connection. My question is Anybody tried to hook up an RCA camera on the 8th generation of accord using this method.

The plug has 6 pins and pin 5 and 6 when hokked up with the loop wire acts like the the one in these instructions. Keeping my fingers cross because I realy want the rearview camera but will not pay 300$ for it

Thanks for all your answers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since I have an 06 Hybrid, does that mean I have to run the wiring up to the dash where the dvd-rom sits?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts