Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 1998 Accord Coupe. Pedal to the floor at a stop sign yesterday and a massive amount of brake fluid on the road. Quick thinking with the parking brake averted a disaster.

A quick look underneath shows 4 or 6 corroded metal brake lines.

Is this a do-it-yourself project? The car is not needed for daily transportation, so time is not an issue.

Any idea what a professional mechanic would charge for this? Where to buy parts?

Other thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom in Alabama

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
Most shops would make the lines from bulk tubing and reuse the fittings if they are reusable.

I see on most of the Honda parts sites that the lines do show up as available.

You'll be doing a lot of moving of parts under the hood, underneath isn't quite as bad. The lines are 1 piece from either the abs modulator or the proportioning valve back.

Which engine? If 4 cylinder is it an EX?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine is 4-cyl Vtec.

Closer inspection show 5 lines from engine compartment to rear of car.

Two are 3/8" brake lines from the proportioning valve to the rear.

Three are 1/4" fuel lines from the engine back to a black plastic box the size of a lunch box. Appears to be gas line, a return line and maybe a vapor line.

All have corrsion and should be replaced.

How hard will it be to bend the lines and install the fittings? Is this a job for a pro or can a skilled amateur make this repair?

Where can I find 3/8" and 1/4" line in bulk (like longer than 8')?

Thanks for your help.

Tom in Alabama

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
You can buy rolls of 3/16" and 1/4".

The brake lines should be 3/16" (4.8mm) going to the rear wheels.

Since you said you have a proportioning valve, you don't have ABS, so there should be either 1 line (possibly 1/4" (6.35mm)) that goes back and splits to the each wheel or two separate. (more likely)

There should be a supply fuel line, 3/8" (10mm) and return 1/4" (4.8mm).

If my memory serves (but probably won't) Honda usually puts a junction fitting near the tank for the supply, but the return goes up to the top of the tank.

There's probably only 1 vapor line from the canister to the purge solenoid under the hood. I think it's 1/4".

Tools you WILL need to either rent or buy, a tube bender, especially for the larger lines. A metric bubble flaring tool for the brake lines, compression fittings are unacceptable and unsafe. I think the fuel lines are conventional single or possibly double flare fittings if they join anywhere with fittings. A much worse scenario is the fuel lines being "o" ringed, then you have to get a hold of an even more expensive flaring tool that makes the ends to accept an oring.

Pray you don't have to drop the tank, otherwise you're pulling the rear suspension. There is a quick connect on the end of the supply line and possibly the return at the tank too. (memory is dead now)
There are special tool kits that will put the necessary ends on the line to put a quick connect flex end on the steel line.

Here is your brake line setup (I put in '98 LX)

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/sout...atcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=BRAKE+LINES&vinsrch=no

The prebent lines may still be available.

Here's your fuel line setup
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/sout...cgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FUEL+PIPE+(1)&vinsrch=no

And this at the tank
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/sout...&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FUEL+TANK&vinsrch=no

I see two quick connect lines to the main fuel lines, so you hopefully won't need to drop the tank, however, those lines hopefully won't be frozen to the main fuel lines. The lines to the tank are plastic.

If you bring the car to a shop that can do the job completely, making the lines, the parts won't be that expensive, but the labor will be. I'd figure between 8 and 10 hours if not more to make up all the lines from scratch.

If the pre-bent lines are still avail from Honda, that's the way to go. The lines are in no way inexpensive, but I think you'd be able to replace them yourself saving a ton of shop labor.

Hope all my babbling helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there
Fredsvt,
My first post, just got a used 94 accord and I have to change all the brake lines and fuel lines....already put the tank down and now planning on buying some rolls of pipe bend and install them.
There are 2 lines for the brakes and three lines for fuel 1 is bigger then the other 2 which are smaller and same size don't know the sizes yet...
Can you confirm that I need a metric bubble flaring tool for the brake lines ?
And yes like you said there is a junction fitting near the tank for the supply, which is so rusted that as soon as i moved it, it start leaking, is there a problem if I don't use it anymore and just put a straight pipe or hose?

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
It should have bubble flared lines. If you want to eliminate the junction point, I don't see it as being and issue, or you flare the end of two lines and put a union.

I looked on line, and it appears all the prebent lines may still be available, but only if you have ABS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It should have bubble flared lines. If you want to eliminate the junction point, I don't see it as being and issue, or you flare the end of two lines and put a union.

I looked on line, and it appears all the prebent lines may still be available, but only if you have ABS.
I asked a dealer for the lines and they want $600 for all 5 lines .....I think i will buy the straight line and a flaring tool and do it myself.Thanks...any other tricks?

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
Not really. Maybe buy a tubing bender to make 90s on the larger diameter line.

Take your time. It can be time consuming and frustrating making up new lines.

If you can get coated line, it'll last a bit longer. Uncoated line, you'll be doing it again in about 2-3 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had all 5 lines replaced the other day cost me 650 labor/parts. (parts cost amounted to 250.00) While another shop qouted me $1,450 the price made me want to sell the car but good thing I shopped around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts