Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have found that the newer plastic type trim pullers are better for me... Much less of a chance on maring a finish like metal to plastic can... just my opinion..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Someone asked what the sticky substance was that seals the plastic sheet to the door. I used to work in a body shop and we referred to it as butyl. I wouldn't recommend using the hair dryer method and warming it up. Sure, it'll make it easier to remove the panel, but if you get that stuff on you it's a bear to remove. I got it on me a couple times and nothing short of thinner got it off very quickly. You can pretty much relegate any clothes you get it on to lawn mowing or "working on the car" duty. I always just took a razor blade and sliced through the butyl while tugging out on the plastic panel. Very easy and if you watch what you're doing the panel will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Snap out the door panel on the bottom by prying with a trim tool. If you dont have one, you might be able to get under there with a paint stirrer, and use something like the that. Just take it easy on it.

Once you pry out the bottom, Lift it up and over the lock mechanism.

You should still have one thing left to do: Unhook the door handle cable. (its the piece here with green) Pull out the green piece, then release the cable by rotating it out of the clip (I should have got a picture of that, but I had no free hand)
I am new to the forum and have just recently bought a pre-owned accord 7th gen and am loving it so far. I am not as handy as i figure most of the users of this forum however find this write up was extremely helpful :)

One item that is particularly annoying on my new ride, is the some slight rattling noise coming from driver and passenger side internal door trim while driving on bumps. When i push it with my hand - the noise subsides.

Where on this assembly would be areas where i can apply some sound deadening material, What could be causing this noise ? would it just be a matter of the trim being loose ? What am i dealing with. The car otherwise is fine but this noise is completely ruining the pleasure when driving in city on silent roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
so...this is what happened to my door?

so this is the rear door of my 2005 honda accord. for some reason one day it just wouldn't open from the inside, but it opened fine from the outside..this is what i found when i pried it open. tips :paranoid:

....also...where the heck are my courtesy lights?! are there none in the lx model?!

ok...so i've been reading..apparently a lot of people have had this problem..still dont know how mine broke before i removed the panel but...for the ghetto fix...howd you guys tape it down? o.0 i just moved out to VA and dont know any reliable mechanics...and that actuator stuff looks beyond me..

Attachments

·
You're easy money.
499 Posts
Take off the mirror sail shaped panel.
Is this removed just by using your hand? I'm gonna replace my speakers since one blew and I want to make sure I don't mess up :thmsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need Assistance Repairing the Broken Green Casing

so this is the rear door of my 2005 honda accord. for some reason one day it just wouldn't open from the inside, but it opened fine from the outside..this is what i found when i pried it open. tips :paranoid:

....also...where the heck are my courtesy lights?! are there none in the lx model?!

ok...so i've been reading..apparently a lot of people have had this problem..still dont know how mine broke before i removed the panel but...for the ghetto fix...howd you guys tape it down? o.0 i just moved out to VA and dont know any reliable mechanics...and that actuator stuff looks beyond me..
Hello!

First, thank you, xxaznxx27, for posting the close up pictures!

Can anyone expand on how to replace just the plastic green casing, which is shown as broken in the picture, which is most likely the piece keeping the inside door handle from properly opening the door from the inside?

Can this piece be replaced by just removing the handle component and not the entire door panel?

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello!

First, thank you, xxaznxx27, for posting the close up pictures!

Can anyone expand on how to replace just the plastic green casing, which is shown as broken in the picture, which is most likely the piece keeping the inside door handle from properly opening the door from the inside?

Can this piece be replaced by just removing the handle component and not the entire door panel?

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I don't know if you found an answer yet but this same thing happened to our daughter's 7th gen Accord. It was fine when I took it apart (to grease the window rail) but when snapping it back in it's holder it broke exactly like the one in the picture did. I ordered a new cable from Honda for $7. I can't believe the ability to open or close the door from the inside relies on such a fragile piece of plastic.

I found the correct part number from the HondaPartsGuys website and gave that number to Honda when I called them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Matt!

Thanks for your reply. I still haven't decided to try to fix this myself or to take it in to Honda, so your information helps me with that decision and it sounds like something I should be able to do.

To clarify, I assume you had to take the entire door panel off to replace the green part; is that correct? Once you replaced it, did the door work fine?

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took the panel completely off just like in the photos. That looks like the only way because I can't just replace the green part since it's molded into the cable. I ordered the cable today (not the door lock cable but door handle cable, it gets a bit confusing on that site), so I am not sure how well it will go, crossing my fingers.

When it comes in I will have to take everything off again including the plastic to be able to disconnect the cable from the lock mechanism and replace it. I've never done that before so I hope it goes well. Been browsing this forum a bit and I see lots of knowledgeable people here to learn from. EDIT: And if I have problems I know where to come :)

Oh, in the meantime I removed a tiny screw that holds that little metal slot where the broken plastic part of cable snaps in. Then took a wire and wrapped it around that screw and then around the larger part of the cable thing that broke. That is holding it close enough to the handle to allow the door to open while I wait for the part. It's the driver's side so I had to rig something up. I hope that helps. I should provide pictures but I'm new here so not sure about all the rules on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the panel completely off just like in the photos. That looks like the only way because I can't just replace the green part since it's molded into the cable. I ordered the cable today (not the door lock cable but door handle cable, it gets a bit confusing on that site), so I am not sure how well it will go, crossing my fingers.

When it comes in I will have to take everything off again including the plastic to be able to disconnect the cable from the lock mechanism and replace it. I've never done that before so I hope it goes well. Been browsing this forum a bit and I see lots of knowledgeable people here to learn from. EDIT: And if I have problems I know where to come :)

Oh, in the meantime I removed a tiny screw that holds that little metal slot where the broken plastic part of cable snaps in. Then took a wire and wrapped it around that screw and then around the larger part of the cable thing that broke. That is holding it close enough to the handle to allow the door to open while I wait for the part. It's the driver's side so I had to rig something up. I hope that helps. I should provide pictures but I'm new here so not sure about all the rules on that.
I just broke that little green piece on both of my front doors. I super glued them back together and it's working fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just broke that little green piece on both of my front doors. I super glued them back together and it's working fine.
I should have tried that. I still haven't been able to find time to replace the cable but my temp fix job is still holding. I'll try and take some pics when I do it because it seems like it's going to be a nightmare getting the cable into the lock mechanism. Since this thread is not really about the cable maybe I'll make a new thread on how to replace it if there isn't already one.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts