Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the day off, so I decided to see if I could modify my stock automatic shift knob on my 2014 EX-L V6 Sedan to be shorter similar to the manual shift knob mod. I originally wanted to try replacing the knob with a newer gen RDX, TSX, TL knob with boot similar to this 8th gen thread:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35420
…but the time and $$$ for that mod ended up steering me towards this direction.

Step 1: I first removed the knob with College Hills helpful video:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74955
Ended up cracking the top part of the back cover because I wasn’t gentle enough =( Fortunately, it can’t be seen.

Step 2: My first thought was to lower the top countersunk screw to the bottom hole (I’ll explain why this does NOT work in a bit!), so I first cut the bottom of chrome stick cover down by the dimension center to center of the screw holes, sanded the edges and cleaned.

Step 3: I then found that the knob still didn’t go all the way down because there’s a hole that acts as a seat just below the shift knob button within the knob that rests on the actual cylindrical stick. I used a ½” dremel with 6” extension to drill out the hole bigger so it no longer sat on the stick.

Step 4 FAIL – DO NOT USE THIS STEP: With that complete, the knob was now sitting on the white switch above the cylindrical stick. I pushed it down and inserted the top knob screw into the bottom screw hole.
There’re 2 problems with this:
1. This eliminated the parking safety lock and shift button, which I did not want.
2. Even worse, I wasn’t able to turn the car off because of that “Easter Egg” that keeps the power on when pushing the start button while the shift button switch is engaged. Pretty major problem. FAIL.

--So with that, I knew the countersunk holes would not be able to work anymore without having to drill new holes. Plus, it was a must that the knob sit above the switch to avoid problem #2.

Step 5: Next, I thought to cut down the button switch above the cylindrical stick so it sits lower. I found that I needed to cut ONLY the amount needed to disengage the parking safetly lock. I found this dimension by sticking the shifter around halfway between park and reverse where the switch would need to be pushed down the furthest to disengage. It was only a couple mm. This is critical in being able to shift out of park. If you were to cut the switch too low, you will not be able to shift out of park!
-- So I now had a loose ghetto shifter which really sucks, so I took some trusty exterior grade 3M double sided tape I had from mounting my HID ballasts, and I wrapped one layer around the cylindrical stick. (two vertical strips fit perfectly around). I then shoved the knob and cover over the taped stick (I had to shove pretty hard) all the way down to just above where the switch is so not to encounter problem #2 again.

-- Thankfully, this is working out so far. The knob is very firmly in place with that tape in lieu of the screws. I’ll just have to wait until I see 100 degree weather to see if it affects it at all. Should be okay since my ballasts have been mounted without issues with extreme heat.

-- Here’s the final results. Glad everything worked out so far. The knob sits lower, the button works, and no issues with the parking lock. Doesn’t seem like much, but it feels A LOT better. My hand can rest on it more naturally in sport mode especially.

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk!!! It wasn’t easy, but it was free! >)
And just for fun… party on!

·
Basque Red Fury
1,233 Posts
Pretty cool write-up. You are not afraid to really modify this car!

If you could add paddle shifters, I'd be awe of you :notworthy

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought I was SOL after the screws didn’t line up, but that 3M tape is my band-aid for everything hahaha. Fortunately, there’s enough gap between the stick and the knob cover to work in this case. Definitely not handy enough to start drilling new holes on such a small stick (or modding paddle shifters haha.) Worst case, I would need to put it back to stock. There would just be a little bit of gap that’s hardly noticeable at the bottom of the chrome piece. That or buy a new shift knob. =)

Worst case for paddle shifters… probably be stuck in 1st gear for life lol. That would truly be SOL.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Excellent mod. I might do this...

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure why the pics aren't showing up in my browser unless I log in...
Here's a second try at the pics through a different host...

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Just wanted to give a quick update and say that the 3M tape is still holding up strong on my ghetto fab auto shifter mod. Still firm in place and can't tell it's being fixed by the tape. The real test was during the summer 110 degree heat here in LA. Even then, it was just a little looser, but still held on pretty strong. Couldn't even tell unless I really played around with it to try and wiggle it. Still satisfied even though it's Ghetto Fab! =)

Had the day off, so I decided to see if I could modify my stock automatic shift knob on my 2014 EX-L V6 Sedan to be shorter similar to the manual shift knob mod. I originally wanted to try replacing the knob with a newer gen RDX, TSX, TL knob with boot similar to this 8th gen thread:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35420
…but the time and $$$ for that mod ended up steering me towards this direction.

Step 1: I first removed the knob with College Hills helpful video:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74955
Ended up cracking the top part of the back cover because I wasn’t gentle enough =( Fortunately, it can’t be seen.

Step 2: My first thought was to lower the top countersunk screw to the bottom hole (I’ll explain why this does NOT work in a bit!), so I first cut the bottom of chrome stick cover down by the dimension center to center of the screw holes, sanded the edges and cleaned.

Step 3: I then found that the knob still didn’t go all the way down because there’s a hole that acts as a seat just below the shift knob button within the knob that rests on the actual cylindrical stick. I used a ½” dremel with 6” extension to drill out the hole bigger so it no longer sat on the stick.

Step 4 FAIL – DO NOT USE THIS STEP: With that complete, the knob was now sitting on the white switch above the cylindrical stick. I pushed it down and inserted the top knob screw into the bottom screw hole.
There’re 2 problems with this:
1. This eliminated the parking safety lock and shift button, which I did not want.
2. Even worse, I wasn’t able to turn the car off because of that “Easter Egg” that keeps the power on when pushing the start button while the shift button switch is engaged. Pretty major problem. FAIL.

--So with that, I knew the countersunk holes would not be able to work anymore without having to drill new holes. Plus, it was a must that the knob sit above the switch to avoid problem #2.

Step 5: Next, I thought to cut down the button switch above the cylindrical stick so it sits lower. I found that I needed to cut ONLY the amount needed to disengage the parking safetly lock. I found this dimension by sticking the shifter around halfway between park and reverse where the switch would need to be pushed down the furthest to disengage. It was only a couple mm. This is critical in being able to shift out of park. If you were to cut the switch too low, you will not be able to shift out of park!
-- So I now had a loose ghetto shifter which really sucks, so I took some trusty exterior grade 3M double sided tape I had from mounting my HID ballasts, and I wrapped one layer around the cylindrical stick. (two vertical strips fit perfectly around). I then shoved the knob and cover over the taped stick (I had to shove pretty hard) all the way down to just above where the switch is so not to encounter problem #2 again.

-- Thankfully, this is working out so far. The knob is very firmly in place with that tape in lieu of the screws. I’ll just have to wait until I see 100 degree weather to see if it affects it at all. Should be okay since my ballasts have been mounted without issues with extreme heat.

-- Here’s the final results. Glad everything worked out so far. The knob sits lower, the button works, and no issues with the parking lock. Doesn’t seem like much, but it feels A LOT better. My hand can rest on it more naturally in sport mode especially.

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk!!! It wasn’t easy, but it was free! >)
And just for fun… party on!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts