Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hook/damper was connected properly and my glovebox was still not aligned properly on the right side. The service manager at the dealer where I bought the car said it would be the same way even if they replaced the glovebox door.
Today I took the time to see what I could do to fix the problem. To my surprise I was able to fix the alignment of the door. The problem is that the latch is welded to the metal bracket just a little too far towards the front of the bracket, all Honda would have to do to fix this problem is weld the latch about 1/4 of an inch to the rear of the bracket.
Also before I drilled the holes to make the latch adjustable I went to 2 different welding shops with the latch already removed. The 1st shop said he would destroy the bracket because his equipment was too powerful, the 2nd shop said he could probably do it but it would cost $45 and there was no guarantee he wouldn't ruin the latch. So I said to myself just drill out the excess metal and save $45 on a $3 part.
Once the latch is removed some of you guys may prefer not to drill but to have the latch re-welded to the position it should be in from the Honda factory.

1. Unhook the hook/damper on the right side

2. Squeeze both sides of the glovebox inward (this will lower the glovebox door) now you can get to the latch to remove it.

3. Remove 2 phillip head screws from the latch (the latch will come out) be careful not to drop the screws.

(I placed the latch on a piece of wood to drill)

4. With a 1/4 inch drill bit I drilled the 2 small holes "one on right" & "one on left" on the front of the latch as far as I could go "without breaking through the front".

for the 3 holes in the center of the latch I drilled out all of the center leaving about 1/4 inch of metal in the back of the latch and going as forward as possible to the front of the latch without breaking through the front.

(Now with all of the excess metal material removed the latch is adjustable.)

6. Reinstall the latch with only 1 of the original screws until your latch is where you need it to be for the door to close flush with the dashboard
"with 1 screw in the latch the latch is adjustable"

7. Once your glovebox door is aligned correctly and the door is closing flush with the dashboard you can install the other screw.

8. Rehook the hook/damper And Your Done !

BTW Magauto.com sells the part for $7.05 if you happen to destroy the original.
On Magauto.com click - Honda then click - Instrument panel then click - Glovebox. The part is called "Striker"
I also know 2009's still have the problem so ordering a 2009 striker probably would not help, the welds are still in the wrong spot.

Below are the pics that go with the directions above.

Ant

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

Attachments

Reactions: Active Adrian

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally after about 15 minutes of work ... some before and after pics

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice work!

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
:thmsup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice fix and DIY pictures. Even if I mess up the original bracket, it's worth risking a $7.05 part. The glovebox misalignment has been bugging me. Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is going to be a weird first post but... (yea, I'm a lurker)

Did you guys know that the glove box alignment is off even in Honda's own photos on their site???

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2009/accord-coupe/interior-gallery/gal_lg17.jpg

Either they just can't get it right or its by design. Either way its odd.
I did notice the Honda photos and there is also an insurance commercial running on tv with an 08 Accord the glovebox in the commercial is also that way. The problem is that the striker is welded about a 1/4 inch too close to the front of the striker bracket.

·
Honda FTW
89 Posts
I do appreciate the fix though! I will be doing it when I pick my car up tomorrow.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Great Job!! I am definitely doing this this weekend!

·
Maui Built Surf Team
139 Posts
This was a B**** To Do! Holy PISS! Lol Those two screws are a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was a B**** To Do! Holy PISS! Lol Those two screws are a pain in the butt.
Really? mine came out very easy, did you finish the job?

·
Maui Built Surf Team
139 Posts
Really? mine came out very easy, did you finish the job?
Haha yeah I finished the job!:banana: With a few cuts on my fingers. It was just the placement of the bracket it was either to far back so it would not hook or the same as before lol... eventually i got it :notworthy Thanks for the great write up!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sweet. I just noticed this a few months back after I changed the air filter. I didn't think much of it until I had someone riding in my passenger seat. Then it just drove me crazy. I took it to the dealership and they said it was normal. So I thought until I found this DIY. Thanks for the excellent write up. I will be doing this sometime soon.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This would work on the 7th gen too to get rid of the light that seeps out of the crack.
Well thats GREAT news. Every time I have a passenger they comment on it how the light is on. :thumbsdow

Thanks. Will be doing this soon!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts