Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t really planning on writing a DIY for a home made grill but have received several pms asking me how I made mine. Without further adieu here is my DIY for making a gutter guard grill…

Tools Needed: Phillips Screwdriver, Flathead Screwdriver, Cut Off Wheel or dremmel, Black Paint, Clear Coat, and 200 Grit Sand Paper.

3$ Metal Guard mesh from home depot comes in a 6” x 36” sheet found at the link below…
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...Hinged-Gutter-Guard-Unpainted-85280/100002884

1.You will first need to remove the bumper, others such as the Jackal, Hittman and BPearl have documented how to remove the front bumper, which is where using your screwdrivers will come in.

2. After removing the bumper on the inside of the bumper there are roughly 12 clips holding the grill to the bumper, you will need to remove them using your flathead screwdriver. After removing the clips there is a tab on each side that you will need to push in for the grill to clear the bumper, once those clips are pushed in you can remove the grill from the front of the bumper out.

3. Once the grill is removed you need to unscrew several screws on the back of the grill that attach the chrome trim to the housing.

4. When you have removed all of the screws you can remove the chrome trim, sand it lightly with 200 grit sand paper.
5. The most time consuming portion of this install for me was cutting out the plastic insert in the middle of the grill, took me about 20minutes with a cutoff wheel, with a dremmel I could see this taking a long time.

6. Cut your metal gutter guard mesh to fit perfectly inside of the chrome trim. I trimmed it a bit put it up to the grill and bolted the chrome trim on several times and trimming as needed till the chrome trim was holding the grill on to my liking.
7. When the mesh is cut to size, clean it and the chrome trim with rubbing alcohol or a comparable product.
8. Spray 3 coats of black paint on the mesh and chrome trim.
9. Spray 2 coats of clear.

10. Put everything back together, mount up and enjoy.

·
133 Posts
it looks good. i like it

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks pretty nice, I also like your wheels :thmsup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice job. I have to wonder what cleaning it will be like in the summer when it fills up with bugs. I guess no worse than any other grill.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job. I have to wonder what cleaning it will be like in the summer when it fills up with bugs. I guess no worse than any other grill.
Really wasn't a big deal to clean out, using a bug removal product and my pressure washer.

One more pic to add I found when I had just got the mesh cut to fit inside of the chrome trim prior to painting.

Ps. The pup is not needed to fabricate the grill...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts